1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Samsung 9 series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bladesingerz, 13 Dec 2012.

1. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Hey everyone so I'm leaving soon on a internship in then USA soon and will be buying an ultrabook there for my sister. Her main use will be browsing, writing and some amature photoshop use.

Will She have a good value with the Samsung 9 series?

Also on a side note will I be able to use PSU's and laptop chargers when I get back to europe, if I just switch the power cord?

Thanks

2. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

I bash apple an awful lot and i am far from being a fanboy - but my brother just bought a retina macbook pro 15" and i absolutely ripped into him for buying it - untill after doing my research i had to swallow my pride because currently its the best ultrabook lappy on the market - and its not a rip off either. If you cant stand OSX, just install windows on it :)

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

While I agree with you, partially. The MacBook Pro cost a fortune (the one with retina display), near 3000$. Beside that, When you install Windows, you have to use Apple special Windows drivers. Normal drivers from the manufacture don't work on Apple products. These Apple drivers are terrible. I think FINALLY Windows 7 drivers are fine. Windows 8 BSOD non stop. Apple does it on purpose. They don't want Windows to outshine MacOS. So basically, if you want the best Windows experience on a mac, you have to be almost 1 version behind on what is out.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Yes. All power supplies have active power factor correction nowadays, and that implies automatic input voltage selection. You should double check it before buying though -- the small text on a sticker on the power supply states the input voltage range.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2012
  5. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I'm not a big fan of the Mac OS but it was my sisters first choise. One of the problems I have with it that if she ever has a problem with it me or my father will not be able to help her out, since I know nothing about the OS.

But are you guys suggesting I buy a Mac Book Pro? That isn't really an ultrabook, its more a laptop. One of the requirements is that it has to be very portable and light.

6. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I am a huge pc nerd, always have been, always will be.

but NOTHING (in my experience, mind you) compares to a mbp. The feel and the guality outshines everything. While I enjoy my computers, I never get attached to them the same ways as I do to my mbp. I enjoy it everytime I use it. That is a rare feeling nowadays.

7. mm vr

Macs have mirror-like screens, which will annoy you unless you use the computer in a dark environment, which is rarely the case with a laptop.

You cannot upgrade or replace any of the hardware on Apple products either. The newest Macbooks have the battery and RAM soldered in. The SSD cannot be swapped to a non-Apple supplied one because TRIM only works on Apple SSDs for some reason.

8. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

This only applies to the retina models. The "regular" 13 and 15" mbps are as upgradeable as other laptops.

9. mm vr

Fair enough. But the issues with the reflective screens, the SSDs, and Windows drivers still stand.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

11. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Trim is even enabled on my hackintosh.

12. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Guys the mac book pro looks good, but it costs 1800 USD, wich is way to much. Won't the Samsung 9 series be enough for my specifications?

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

How much are you dropping on a Samsung 9-Series? Is it equivalent to £1,000?

14. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

From the amazon link it's around $1000 which is a slightly different range to any macbook pro, the samsung 9 series looks good but might want to check if any new ultrabooks have come out with windows 8.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

The Samsung 9 series and MacBook Air are similar prices in uk at least just shows how much we get ripped off.

In the $1000 budget range the 9 series is a nice laptop the only worry in reviews is battery life, they only got 7hrs on the tests that anandtech ran, if that's enough for you it's a decent buy. For me personally that would not be the case.

As for eu USA thing depends entirely if its a power brick that powers it on mains or its just a charger that chargers the battery

Power brick would need an eu specification brick
    A charger would require a eu lead

The later one is alot cheaper than a new power brick.

16. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I rather have Windows 7 than 8 to be honest, I really dislike the features of 8.

I'll put the prices of the Samsung and Mac side my side:
    Samsung 9 - 15" - 1140 USD = 871 EUR = 706 GBP
    Mac Book Pro - 13" - 1199 USD - 916 EUR - 743 GBP
    Mac Book pro - 15" - 1799 USD - 1375 EUR - 1115 GBP

Its quite a big price gab, atleast if you compare the 15" models

17. rollo

rollo Modder

15 is retina display is the big difference.

And in the uk its £1500 give or take a few pence for a retin equipped MacBook

18. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

doesn't look like it, you can chose a 13" or 15" with retina display, and they are pricy!

13" - 1700 USD - 1300EUR - 1053 GBP
    15" - 2200 USD - 1682EUR - 1365 GBP

I must say I got an iPad and iPhone and the display is really fine and nice, but paying 400EUR extra for it seems a bit much.

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

If you go for a Laptop I would suggest a Lenovo Thinkpad. Best portable laptops and yeah the ultras too I think it is the T and X series that are the true thinkpads but check first to be sure. They have options like mat high res screens and titanium frames ect.

20. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I'll take the mac book pro into consideration, I rememberd that you can use an educational discount on it, you think I could apply for it in the usa? My collage isn't in the usa. I have no idea how they check these things..

Also what about gaming and other windows based progams, how would they work? Parrallels is one option right? Does it work well?