1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Doing my Own parachute chords ( Need Help )

Discussion in 'Modding' started by networkz, 14 Jan 2015.

1. networkz

networkz What's a Dremel?

Okay, So the first and hopefully only issue while i do this is that i cant manage to get the 6 pin / 8 pin or the 24 pin wires to come out of the sockets... Is there some type of tool a person can make or find around the house to work to get them out. I imagine there are pins inside holding them in. But What does one use to get them out.

AS i Get going through the Process i will add some pictures up if everything goes well. Then give a tell all and help the community out a bit aha !

If anyone could lend a word of advice would be much appreciated

2. iggy

iggy Minimodder

You need an atx and a molex pin extractor.

You can get a simple set from ebay. Personally i just use a thin straw or sometimes an expanded chupchups lolly stick, but its a pain in the arse.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There's an idea... I have a couple of cheap extraction tools but they are, well, cheap. And I also have a lathe... A new project! To the workshop!

4. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I've given up on tools now, they always just seem to break eventually. So back to my favourite method, staples! Yeah all you need to do is straighten out one of the sides on a couple staples and insert them into the connector on either side of the pin. Just make sure the pin is nice and loose before you push the staples in, and make sure they go on either side of the connector pin, not inside it (otherwise they just won't do anything).

It starts off a bit fiddly, but after some practice it becomes very easy. I actually found staples to be more reliable than the tools too, despite having a decent one. And of course, if they break (which they will eventually) you just bend a new one in about 10 seconds.

Some guy even did it in picture format here.

For molex connectors, a tool definitely makes things easier. Although you can still do it without one. I misplaced my tool a while back, so made my own device out of the ink cartridge from one of those clicker biros. It's basically tube with a thin wall and of the right diameter to work nicely for this sort of thing. You might have a couple floating around the house that will do the trick. I'd still pick a tool up though as it is better than the biro trick, unlike the staples one IMO.

5. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I did mine eventually with a falltend paperclip.