1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Zalman Reserator 3 pictured ahead of CES

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Nov 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

400w....

That's not even possible?

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Why?

(Not an attack, just interested to see why you think it can't dissipate that kind of heat)

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

400W is possible, but it depends upon the Delta-T they've chosen. If it's 400W at 50°C delta T with 2000rpm, then it's not impressive at all. It does also depend upon the flow rate.

Check the graphs at the bottom of this page for how "proper" 120x3 radiators do with a 10°C delta T and the watts dissipated. The flow rates are probably higher in these examples too, so the 0.4GPM graph is probably most representative. What can be seen is that 120x3 radiators at that flow rate get about 350-400W dissipated at 2000rpm. Assuming that a 120x3 performs 3 times better than a single 120 (which it probably doesn't quite), then Zalman are looking at a pretty large Delta T for 400W...

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Well it certainly looks good. I wonder if the will bring out a 120x2 version and then all we need is price.

6. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

My original reserator is still working fine cooling a 3.00ghz P4 and 7950GT (AGP). Its actually been connected for more than 5 years now and I haven't opened it up since fitting it. Thats pretty impressive reliability I think.

7. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I think it's mad for Zalman to continue the Reserator moniker given how poor their previous XT model performed. The sticking flow rate indicators that would throw the system into an alarm was hopeless, even after replacing the part, mine still had problems. I have to switch mine to manual upon booting up as auto would cause the fan and flow rate to drop to alarm inducing speeds. Even after a de-gunking and fresh coolant.

Hopefully these prove to be more reliable. Their fanless Reserator 2 was excellent (it cooled a Pentium D 945 @ 4ghz + 8800GTX just nicely) and I've only just recently passed it on to a friend.

Any clue as to what coolant will be used? as their blue additive gunked up worse than Porkin's home furnishings. ;)

Edit: shame no 775 socket support :(

Last edited: 21 Nov 2012
  8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I have a Reserator 1 V2 in sat in my cupboard doing nothing, but it happily cooled my old GTX580 heavily OC'd. Is this the sort of thing that people still want to own? The thing with Zalman is that their engineering is usually epic, but the products themselves are often a let down.

9. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

that's one sexy cooling system

10. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

12. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

It's interesting that they don't use water like regular water cooling systems !

I lol'd

13. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I think it looks ace but I have been known to pick up the occasional bint.

14. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Personally, I think the interesting thing here is that the radiator assembly /appears/ to fit completely into the footprint of a 120 fan. For people with 120 fan mounts that are recessed in some way preventing the installation of standard 120 radiators, this is an improvement!

I only wish it came in a red LED variant...

15. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

The water in this is wetter i wonder??

16. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i wonder if this could be compatible with GPU units ( like the h70 was with custom plates ) id love to see a proper gpu cooling setup similar to the artic cooling one ( albeit without the insane price cost )

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I hate to think what's grown inside :eeek::eeek::eeek:

Wasn't the whole point of the reserators that they were external? I gotta admit the originals were a piece of art to have sitting on your desk/floor.

I ran one for a while waaay back maybe 10 years ago. The blocks were pants but the res/rad/pump was pretty pimp.

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

it's nice that they've put their on twist on the CLC concept, you can tell just by looking at it that it's a zalman based on the shape of the fins

otherwise THIS IS NOT A RESORATOR, why couldn't they have come up with a new name instead of tarnish a known branding with what will likely end up being a sub-par product :(

19. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

acually the Resorator means combined radiator and reservoir...and by the look of it
    thats a combined reservoir and radiator XD

and dont dismiss it before you see final cooling numbers..im sure the same thing was said when they demo'd the first tower coolers, the first all in one water coolers etc etc etc

20. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Now I can't wait to see the Bit-Tech / Custom PC tests on that!