1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bungie unveils Destiny

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

any one think that this could be titan?

3. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Always-On ... after the Diablo 3 Launch issues I don't like the sounds of this

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Nah, Blizzard are working on their own title as Blizzard, not Acti-Blizzard.

Activision are Blizzard's bit*hes, not the other way around.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Always on is the future of pc gaming.

Most games pretty much require it already one way or another. You have steam and run steam games its always on internet connection. Same with uplay orgin games even anno 2070.

very few games released on pc dont require an internet connection.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Except Steam has an offline mode.

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

no subscription model for now.. they going to hook u in for the first year or two and make money through micro transactions and expansions and then bring down the hammer with the "next expansion only available through subscription and micro-t." and then rope a dope all that have already invested 2 yrs to the game, so why not pay and try and get to the tenth year.. is their thinking IMO.

for me, im interrested, not subscription or micro-t. but i dont think after 10yrs of investment any ending to any story is going to satisfy anyone, just to big of an investment to satisfy again IM-most-HO.

8. Griffter

10yrs of investment any ending to any story is NOT going to satisfy anyone,...

9. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Sounds a lot like Dust 514 to me, but without the EvE tie in.

10. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Looks cool, but it's no PC = no sale for me. Literally, since I don't own a console.

11. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Agreed. I'd argue that the attitude of pirating the living **** out of everything, just because you can, have only hastened this sorry development. Also, because more profits for the shareholder.

You'll be limited to small indie and back catalogue titles from services like gog.com more and more in the future if you don't like it, thus becoming a sidelined minority.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

More games will head the way Diablo 3 did all map data is kept on blizzard servers.

Not many major releases that don't require you to be online.

Sc2 was online only for a long time, bf3 requires a perm Internet. As does cod that's your 4 big sales in PC gaming for last year or so.(ignoring mmos gw2 and mop make the list)

FIFA 13 if you play ultimate team needs an Internet connection crashes as soon as it loses Internet.

13. Griffter

those are all multiplayer sides of them... of cos they need internet then lol
    the SP component did not. and why should it be.

14. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

well, lets see, with the success of the latest halo, people may still be looking at that direction even if destiny could proved to be better. honestly, always online games don't bother me that much ( I rarely loose my connection anyway), but the honest truth is I just want some LAN gaming option, even if I have to be 100% online just to prove I didnt pirate anything, whatever they try to pull of multiplayer cloud thing or whatever, LAN gaming has still the lowest of all lowest of latencies, that is my primary concern, offline mode is cool, but not really a big deal for me. mods? maybe i'll put that in second

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Diablo 3 is a single player game if you chose it to be
    Starcraft 2 has huge single player campaign
    Fifa13 ultimate team can only be played solo

16. Griffter

always on could also make developers more lazy tho in releasing a less than fully polished complete game thats not broken since they will then opt for fixing it post launch with patches etc. im concerned with the amount of games becoming so complicated and being released broken ala skyrim, game of the year and broken on ps4 and massive bugs everywhere else.

i dont like patching obvious problems after i buy games. it just leaves me with less trust for the companies that apply such tactics. now added with this is always online server maintenance and using alot of their time keeping the servers going... that effort will most certainly come from the game development time.

visa vee a less than perfect game to be patched later with less time and man power to even do that. :-(

i prey i'm wrong.

17. Griffter

exactly, so why always on internet connection to play solo at home? maybe a quick internet register for that pc is ok to prove its legit, but not permanently online for solo games.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

shame its console only.....

19. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Strongly disagree with that statement. Blizz have shown persistent and invasive lack-of-change since Activision joined. They have basically remade Starcraft and Diablo exactly as they were with no innovation (which would make the most money) and changed WoW into PANDA land for casuals only (which makes the most money).

Don't tell me they haven't been forced in to a business model that consists of big piles of cash because none of their games innovate any longer, they just re-create - and in some part, in worse ways.

Activision is printed all over the bottom line and it filters down from the top of blizzard to it's designers.

/rantoff.

ON TOPIC: Meh..?

20. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Be very surprised if we see a PC release so yeah, meh