1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project | NOVO mini | Update 2015-12-16 | 100% FINISHED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ygd3n, 12 Sep 2014.

1. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Hey, I have for a long time planned to build me a mITX case, all-aluminum, and as compact as possible. And after my project Novo so I decided simply to continue on "Novo series" a bit further.

My thoughts and ideas

My thoughts on this project came in the context of my project Novo. That it would be so great to try myself to build as small as possible. Have seen many amazing mITX-builds. And mostly my friend Johan and his website for Minimalistic PC's!

So it was just how i all began. So I thought .. why not! Let's build a small pc case!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

* PSST! * I have had huge problems with me to decide how the top will look like, this is not something I'll choose to sort out right now, but it may go as it goes under the project's time!

But otherwise, the rest I'm pretty pleased with!

Hardware

[X] ASUS Z97I-PLUS
    [X] Intel Core i7 4790K
    [x] Samsung 840 SSD 250GB
    [x] Samsung 840 SSD 250GB
    [x] Manli "reference" GTX 970
    [X] 16Gb ADATA xpg black
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Timetable

Have planned for a while and managed to already get some stuff now before I started the project. Precisely because it would take too long.

* Remove burrs and polish all the materials.
    * Drill and tap the frame together
    * Test assemble all sides to measure.
    * Motherboard plate
    * I / O panel
    * Sleeve PSU and check cable lengths, If I may have to cut of some cable length
    * Paint/powder coating/anodizing/ (not sure which yet, and if I should even paint the case. Maybe just brush it.)

Sponsors

[​IMG]

Want to thank once again Be Quiet!® for a wonderful collaboration. Getting to see and try out your products. I do that with great pleasure and pride.

And I want also to thank the swedish company Maskindelen.se for all work to sponsor with all aluminum material. Cut and sawn to exact measurements. Very grateful!

New sponsor for the project! Mundi at Icemodz that sponsors with a whole bunch of sleeve, connectors, RGB LED kit, pins, etc..

New sponsor! Thanks Johan at minimalistic pc's for the good price on the GTX 970 from Palit

Last edited: 16 Dec 2015
    Big Elf likes this.
  2. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Maskindelen.se

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Real nice, newcut aluminium.. Still some oil on to it. Have to clean them and grind the profiles and the plates a bit on the corners.​

3. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Be Quiet!®

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I want to thank Be Quiet!® once more for this wouderfull products. I will take back later with some type of review of the products!

Last edited: 15 Sep 2014
  4. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Assembling the frame

I drilled and tapped the underside of the frame. Was going to try to finish the framework this week. We'll see how everything works with my ordinary job and other things! But I take the time I can take.

[​IMG]

My working place. The kitchen table with an old table top as protection .. Yes.. If you live in an apartment, you'll simply have live with it :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My nice Bosch GSR Professional screwdriver. I got when I turned my 22 years.

[​IMG]

Became quite OK with the countersink. Only some "few" more holes to drill, countersink and thread!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20mm borde bli ganska perfekt för kablarna att gå bakom.

[​IMG]

That was what I had to offer this update, soon enough, a little more fun update .. New hardware awaits!

Have a great Tuesday / ygd3n

5. mitch311

mitch311 What's a Dremel?

Subbed, those renders are awesome. Looking forward to this.

6. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that you subbed!

7. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Hardware!

Picked up these goodies today, will probably fit nicely in the project with a little more power under the hood .. Small and powerful something that is no longer as difficult to combine as it was before.

[​IMG]

Intel Core i7 4790K.. This I think is the thing i'm most pleased over. Hope I have good luck in the processor OC capability lottery!

[​IMG]

Asus Z97I-PLUS.. Really happy with my choice of motherboard. Have received good reviews, and have plenty of overclocking potential.

[​IMG]

Now I hope this RAM works with Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 cooler, which is huge!

More updates as soon as something else happens! Stay tuned. / ygd3n

8. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Hello again! Finally, I took the time of about 4 hours to put together the frame. To drill and tap for the 8 bolts can take such a long time!

[​IMG]

Think this is quite okay to be made ​​without pillar drill or similar. All done with old-fashioned craftsmanship!

[​IMG]

Small size check so you know what is going on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somehow, I got mITX board look small! .. Do I build too big do you think?

[​IMG]

Was actually really happy with the end result. Now I can finally start with the most difficult part in this project. To mount all the plates, motherboard plate, hole for the I / O and so on.

[​IMG]

New sponsor for the project! Mundi at Icemodz that sponsors with a whole bunch of sleeve, connectors, RGB LED kit, pins, etc..

I thank for the incredible help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More updates to come when I find myself more time!

Have a nice Wednesday evening. Best / ygd3n

9. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Got an impulse feeling today that I wanted to start with the sleeving, so I took apart the PSU and started a little bit on the worst of them all .. The 24-pin cable!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite thin cables, 18AWG and 20AWG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have checked a lot of lutro0's MDPC-X sleeve guide on youtube. Really detailed and a wounderfull step-by-step guide!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not so "much" left now! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really pleased with the end result! Took some heat shrink tubing and sleeve pieces to get the technology and the measurements I would use. But if you let it take time, It will be okay in the end. You should really not rush with sleeve. You can do it just as you want it. Just patience and time are the major factors in the sleeving.

So this was my Thursday night, hope you had a good evening. Best / ygd3n

10. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Test out some panels and components

Hi, spent some time after work today to check on how I'm going to have all the components. I'm sorry to say that I have to skip the basic idea of ​​having top-mounted components with wires up through the top, then it would be quite disproportionate and look generally stupid, so it has to be a classic layout for the components.

Have also measured for the video card, which can only be 260mm long.. So do you know any good GTX 970 which is the max 260mm long so please write!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The side panels on, begins to look like something now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do not know if I'll have the motherboard plate like this, but I think it will look nice with the SSD:s fitted like that, a little tucked away. Will also cut out alusheets that i'll brush and cover the SSDs.

Anyone know if there are any good angled SATA power and SATA cables? Please write!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here at last picture is probably how I should have it. PSU will still sit in the front, And a chassis power connector that will sit in the back. A bit like lian-li has in thier cases.

[​IMG]

That's all from me, have a good Friday night!

Phame likes this.
  11. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Great work dude :) +rep

12. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Bigger update

Hey again, long time since i updated this log. I have done some work on both the case and the PSU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did measurements on both top and front. So now it's just cutting these holes. What I'll probably do this weekend, then I want to have it all measured up to see so everything is correct before I put the cutting wheel in it.

[​IMG]

6+2-pin pci-e to 2x6-pin pci-e

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My little working station.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I came up with, trying to figure out a way to sleeve the Y-split cable.

13. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Will start of by thanking a good friend who has helped me a lot on many issues and come up with answers when you have been inquisitive regarding this project but also older projects.

[​IMG]

Johan from minimalistic pc's sponsors this build with some really good price on a GTX 970​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Palit GTX 970 Jetstream. Because it's golden colored and I thought it whould fit in perfectly with the ASUS z97i-PLUS motherboard, and sleeve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent the Saturday at cutting up the holes I had time to draw out. My brother was the one who held the dremel. Was a little too nervous and I was afraid I would make a mistake or something, and he was better than me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it was with that. More to come when more time comes! /ygd3n

14. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Aluminium work, sleeving and other stuff

During the time between the last update I tried to get some time on the project as much as I could. As it has been much other stuff on the weekends and lot at work, the project has been put on hold for a while.

But now comes a little bigger update for those of you who follow me, for which I am thankful for!

At home in the garage!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sidepanels cutout and finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilling the holes for the top. Didn't have any pictures taken under this long process. Was kind of concentrated the hole time. Took about 4 hours to make. And a whole package of dremel discs.

[BDid some sleeving![/B]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My little workstation!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it looks quite good, what do you guys think ?

Fitting in some components

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just wanted to make sure it all fit the way It suppose

The case

I put it together with some tape, just to see if everything looked good and fitted nicley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think ? Give me some feedback so I know if there something I could change to make it even better.

I'm gonna work with the backpanel today, cutout the pci slots and I/O panel. And also my idea for the blowout fan.

Have a nice day / ygd3n

15. lowfat

lowfat Minimodder

Case looks awesome so far. :)

16. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Personally, I love it and think the design looks great. Subbed!

17. -MisterX-

-MisterX- Minimodder

Case looks great, sleeving looks great, everything looks great:) I have one suggestion though, if you're using cable combs make sure they aren't visible in the final installation. Much cleaner that way:)

18. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Thank you!

Oh, happy that you like it! Thanks for subb!

Thank you MisterX, Quite surprised that you comment my project!

The cable combs will be hidden behind the motherboard, so only the nice part of the sleevning will be visible.

19. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

The I/O panel cutout and other sweet stuff.

Hello! Was at home this weekend and did some work on the case. Or.. the backpanel, who took about 4 hours to cutout.

Finally it's done .. The most enervated moment in this project. Cutting out the I / O panel and PCI. As well as the motherboard plate was made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used the bench vise as a jig when I trimmed it down. Took a flat iron so it would be as straight as possible, which seemed to work pretty well. It's still quite sharp. But I'll sand it even more before it's finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Test assemble" the components

Actually, It did'nt fit the motherboard or graphics card so well. The motherboard I / O shield or whatever you want to call it. Hit the edge of the motherboard, so it pushed the motherboard slightly to the side so it was about 3mm to the screw holes on the motherboard spacers.

And the graphics card PCI plate hit the frame/motherboard plate, so i could'nt press it down fully in PCI-E port.

But I'll fix it soon enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Otherwise, I think the position of the graphics card, motherboard, fans, etc. appear to be in a good line with each other, creating a nice flow through the whole case.

[​IMG]

Drilled and tapped holes for the backpanel so I got it firmly into place. No more tape now ;). However, took quite a while and had no more spare time for the other plates. Have to wait until when I have more time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you may notice, it's 3 different holes where the "blowout" fan is located. This is to create opportunities in the future for water cooling. And being able to align it better with the CPU cooler.

[​IMG]

Chose to use round bolts on the outside. Think it looks best "aesthetic" like that. I like when the screws are visible. But not too much. So this was a good solution!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was actually really pleased with how well you can cut out by hand. It takes longer are those who have access to the lasercutter or any other machine etc. But what joy is there in that?

When I'm done.. Be able to look back and reflect on how hard it was to cut out everything, and trim all the egdes, drilling, thread etc. But the result. Something you have done, with your own hands and own tools. Frankly, I'm quite proud about myself. What I have accomplished, And what I can accomplish.

Next update will come .. When it comes! Good night! / ygd3n

20. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

As much as I'd have every fancy fabrication machine going if I could I do appreciate the satisfaction of creating by hand. Your build its looking great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk