1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Recommend me a USB Hard Drive please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lorquis, 12 Dec 2009.

1. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Right, pretty much as title. Looking for something in the region of 1TB upwards.. Been looking at LaCie Design (niel poulton) drive and also some WD Mybook drives, (the newer ones)...

I do quite like the look of the LaCie ones but they seem to be a little bit on the wonkey side according to some reviews I've read. But I do seem to actually prefere them as a general rule.. Anyone who can give me a general direction on what might be the best for me would be very welcome... And also these drives are also seeming to be a comparable price on amazon which is going the be the shop of preference on this one, so any links make them to amazon please..

Thanks!

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

The WD Mybook ones are meant to be pretty solid.

3. Lorquis

Only thing that kinda detracts from them for me, is their insistance that for a mac you need to buy the mac edition to get the full value out of them.... for a whole £20 more... and even then it apparently will launch some form virtual cd which is nigh on impossible to kill off.

I am open to suggestions other than the above options, just they're the ones that caught my eye tbh...

4. giskard

giskard System builder

I have a WD MyBook Pro which I bought a few years ago and has both Firewire and USB, though after I bought it I read reports of problems with copying large files via USB and sure enough, I was able to reproduce the issue. There's no fix other than to use firewire. I personally wouldn't recommend WD external drives.

I now use Akasa Integral enclosures which have both USB and e-SATA interfaces with 500GB and 1TB Samsung drives - installing the drives is a doddle and probably works out better value than buying a ready-made external disk. I'm now planning to replace the 500GB drive with a 1.5TB Eco-Green model. The aluminium enclosure does a great job of keping the drive cool.

Just my 10 bob's worth...

Last edited: 14 Dec 2009
  5. Lorquis

Ended up with the LaCie 1tb Design. Thanks for help... ish...