1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Leatherman Wave

Discussion in 'General' started by DragunovHUN, 13 Aug 2010.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

So i've been toying with the idea of getting one of these for a while, and now that there's a black oxide version it became even more appealing.

But are they really any good? I'd hate to buy something that has over nine thousand tools but none of them work really well. I'm not thinking about building a house with a pair of these, just normal everyday use.

So are they all show no go, or genuinely functional? Anyone got one?

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I love mine. It's genuinely functional and moreover solidly built. The knives lock, which you will really appreciate once you have had a non-locking knife fold on your fingers.

I know a roadie who has had a Leatherman for years. She said that unlike with cheaper tools it doesn't loosen up with use; all the parts are still as tightly put together as ever.

And the black oxide version looks awesome.

3. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

I've had mine for about 5 years, I can't fault it.

Just never, ever lend it to anyone, mine is going to go back because someone broke the scissors :sigh:

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I have the Leatherman Skeletool CX, has all the tools i need on it and it looks ****ing awesome

[​IMG]

5. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

My Wave is having its tenth birthday party next month. I must say that the warranty is something special. I have managed to snap off the non-serrated blade a few times and broke off a plier jaw once. Each time the local rep has fixed it for free, no questions asked. Think "oh my, I'll fix this and mail it back to you".

Offtopic: Smashie, nice custom title. Same as my evil Fallout 3 character.

6. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

From Kenny Everett, now that shows my age!

Thinking about it, mine must be closer to 10 years old, £44 in costco :)

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I keep wanting to pick up a Leatherman, but I just can't afford to spend £80 on what is essentially just a pair of pliers. :(

I may end up getting something from Gerber... but then again, I may not - it's not like I don't own several pairs of pliers, knives and screwdrivers.

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I had one (Leatherman Charge TTI )and had to sell it, they are amazing and I highly recommend you get one.

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

They are, as said by all of the above, seriously useful for everyday tasks, and once you've got one you'll probably spend your time thinking why on earth you didnt get one sooner.

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I have a Charge TTI which I picked up for about £80 on ebay. One of my friends also has a Skeletool but I find it very uncomfortable to use compared to the Charge, but then I have quite big hands and find it's too small. It's amazingly useful on camping trips and I've built a couple of PCs using it too :)

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Wow that's some pretty excellent feedback. Now i can't keep myself from getting one. Thanks guys.

@Gunsmith ooooo carabiner

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

forgot to mention the handle is made from carbon fibre :naughty:

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm an EDC fiend/fanatic, and can swear by the both the Leatherman Juice and Skeletool CX. I'd love a wave as well, but it won't be any time soon, as my knives/multitool "budget" for this year was spent when I bought a CF handled Spyderco Calypso 3 over on Candlepower forums marketplace earlier this year along with a custom boker fixed blade, but both were either lost in the mail on their way across the pond or some postie either in the good old United States or here on our own British Isles nabbed them :grr:

Last edited: 13 Aug 2010
  14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

all this talk of leathermans has reminded me that i need to send mine in for repair (blade has 2 chips missing from it, dont know how it happend) and whilst hunting for the uk dealer details I found this:

I like the serrated blade and im too scared to send it in now :(

15. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Downloadable content coated carbon fibre no less :p

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

What steel is the blade of the CX made from Gunny? I can honeslty say I've never looked, and it's in my toolbox in the car, which Dad has borrowed for the evening :rolleyes:

It definately shouldn't chip though. No Spyderco knife I've ever owned has ever chipped, and the vast majority of them are VG-10 Seki City steel, with a few exceptions.

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I have absolutly no idea, feel free to google tho but its deffo chipped.

18. BenK

BenK Minimodder

Got given a Charge Tti for Christmas a few years back. Nice and useeful to have around for odd jobs that come up. Quality tool to have.

19. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Had my Leatherman Wave for 10, maybe 12 years.

It has never broken. It has never tarnished or rusted.

Somewhere, in someone's attic, there is a portrait of a Leatherman Wave that is rusting, breaking, and falling apart.

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I checked it out on Amazon and had a genuine LOL moment.

[​IMG]

At first I was like

:D
    then I
    :idea:
    then I

:worried: