1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Problem with SilverStone Fortress FT03 and PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dangthrimble, 1 Mar 2014.

1. Dangthrimble

Dangthrimble What's a Dremel?

All my orders have finally arrived and I have set about my first build of a PC. Carefully following the directions in the FT03 manual I have removed the sides and front panels, and 3 fan brackets, and have installed the RM550, but now I've hit a problem with the 90 degree power cable.

The PSU has a fan larger than 120mm so I have installed the fan facing down as instructed in the manual. However, the orientation of the power socket on the PSU requires the power cable to come down from above rather than from the right as expected in the manual.

[​IMG]

Now, when I come to connect the 90 degree power cord, I find it snags on the channel at the top of the PSU enclosure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Has anyone had a similar problem with the FT03 and, if so, how have you overcome it?

Thanks

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Chop off the bit of the channel in the way?

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

My first thought also was :dremel:

4. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I've got an FT03 chap, although I didn't have this problem. You should unscrew the power socket on the PSU, ensuring there is enough give on the cables simply rotate the socket 180' and screw back on.

Problem solved.

J.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Or a non-modding solution - replace the PSU. :worried:

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Am I the only one who thinks that OP should just get an up angle IEC power cable? They only cost a few quid and you don't have to cut or open up anything.

[​IMG]

7. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Nexxo just beat me to it!

8. Dangthrimble

Unfortunately the 90 degree power cable has a lower profile so the side of the case can fit:

[​IMG]

Also, the other end of the cable seems to be integral to the case.

[​IMG]

9. Dangthrimble

I'm not convinced there is enough space between the power socket and the bottom of the case to fit the cable without putting it under quite a bit of pressure

[​IMG]

but I'll have a look to see if it is doable.

10. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

Promoting sensible action vs modding :O, well I never!

11. narwen

narwen narwen

option one: cut a small piece of metal from case.
    or
    option two: de-solder the cable get a up angle iec cable cut end of and solder into the case.

i think most people would do option one.

12. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Get a new cable?! :S

13. Dangthrimble

Have contacted Corsair and SilverStone to see if they can offer any solution (alternate cable, advice on rotating PSU socket by 180 degrees).

I have not heard from Corsair yet, despite a promise that "a Customer Service representative will respond within 1 business day." Into the 3rd business day at the moment.

SilverStone have advised "we don´t have a suitable power cord we recommend you to remove original power cord and take another power cord which can meet your needs." The need for it being low-profile is proving to be a bit of a problem, however I have found the following on Amazon:

[​IMG]

Just need to determine whether the profile is low enough.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2014
  14. Dangthrimble

Is the profile of the plug I've found on Amazon low enough? The answer is "no!"

The outer case of the FT03 virtually touches the outer edge of the channel that runs above the socket. Consequently, the space from the inside of the case to the outside of the socket is approximately 1.2cm and the depth of the socket is approximately 1.7cm (compared with 2.0cm and 1.5cm respectively on the Amazon plug). The SilverStone plug has a total depth of only 2.8cm compared with the 3.5cm of the plug I've found:

[​IMG]

And I cannot find another right angled plug that is any shallower.

SilverStone's statement that I should "take another power cord which can meet your needs" doesn't align with reality. It would appear they had their power cord especially made to fit the limited space in the case and there is no other cable that can meet my needs.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2014
  15. Dangthrimble

Have now had a reply from Corsair who have confirmed that turning the socket round on the PSU will void the warranty!

The only option left is to cut the channel on the chassis ...

16. Dangthrimble

Actually SilverStone have replied with images of two cables that they claim would be suitable:

[​IMG]

This would bring the cable in from the left, rather than from the right as suggested in their documentation, but that shouldn't be a problem.

[​IMG]

This would bring the cable in from below and may therefore put some strain on the cable to keep it within the case.

Only problem with both is they are produced in China and I have no idea whether they are available as single purchases within the UK!

Tags: