1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Small PSU's

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xye, 29 Jul 2011.

1. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

As in really small...

Looking to power:

2 HDD (one 2.5 laptop and one storage 1Tb 3.5) (both SATA)

Slimline Discdrive (SATA)

and either atom Ion or Zacate APU Motherboard.

So I was considering a power brick and internal PCB setup but I don't know where to look for them.... I found this place but I have no idea if they are any good.

2. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

do a google search for Pico PSUs
    some shops have em

3. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

4. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I have a 200 watt one just like the one from the review. The reason the reviewer had so many problems with the 12v rail, is because it is completely unregulated (aside from off/on). So if you hook up a crappy supply, you get crappy power out of the 12v rail.

The design is also VERY old. The 200 was one of Mini-Box's first power supplies to plug directly into the motherboard. I haven't had any problems with mine, and I have had it running a VIA EPIA board for over 6 years now. However, I'd recommend one of the 120's-160's though as they take up less space (the 200 was specifically designed for certain VIA motherboards and might not fit other boards depending on connector placement).

Edit: I don't know if they ship international but you might want to try ordering from Mini-Box directly, I've always had good experiences dealing with them.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2011
  5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The HFX website has a number of external fanless PSUs ranging from around 100 to 200 Watts. I can vouch for the quality if the 200 Watts ef28 model, although that may be a bit overkill for you. The lesser ef19 is their own design and also capable. The ef14 and ef15 are just Pico PSUs under a different name. The site also sells heatpipes and accessories; may be useful to have a look.