1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows What was the game you have played that most disappointed?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 6 Aug 2013.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The great thing about the Steam sales is you can buy games that you know, because of the reviews you have read, are probably going to be rubbish.

With that in mind I bought Sniper:Ghost Warrior 2 and it was/is everything that the reviews have said about this shockingly poor game and more. It is so bad it is almost good. Whereas I would normally not bother completing a game I found this bad, for some inexplicable reason I will probably complete it.

What were the developers thinking about when they released this rubbish? How are games like this still made and how do they hope to make money on such nonsense?

EDIT
    Changed thread title from worst game to the most disappointing.

Last edited: 2 May 2014
  2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Twisted Metal 3. I can promise you it was worse than Ghost Warrior 2.

I think a close second would be 007: Racing and probably the few minutes of WarZ I played on my friends' computer.

3. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

I'm actually currently downloading the demo for Sniper:Ghost Warrior 2 (Metacritic reviews gave it 52%) cause I was thinking that those reviews can't be all correct. Sniper Elite Nazi Zombies got 62% from Metacritic, and I think it's awesome.

Also downloading the Sniper Elite v2 demo to compare (got 66%)

OT: Off the top of my head (I tend to repress these memories :p) I would say Titan Quest for the sheer amount of "HAHA you can't go further. You need to create a new character, then maybe" bugs :wallbash: :waah:

4. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Bioshock Infant. It was a game that I bought into the reviews and the hype and didn't wait till the sales to get much of a reduction. Although I liked the visuals, I hated the linear nature, the bullet-proof vases with flowers and other indestructible furniture, the overacting, the hammy dialog, the overly long gameplay and the awful boss fights especially with the ghost mom sending out endless waves of ghost soldiers. That's the one game I absolutely regret buying. After buying it I realised that there who also criticized aspects of the game. Oh I forgot about the awful ammo vending machines where you have to scroll through a list of 50 weapons and try and remember which weapons you're carrying so you can buy the correct ammo.

The game is dire.

My last bioshock game ever.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sniper-ghost-warrior-2

The overall impression from the meta is not good and this is what determines for me if it's worth buying.

The meta is a good barometer for a game. Only thing to be aware of is that some games start off broken but with potential and end up being very good after a few patches (ARMA) so the meta sometimes reflects the game from it's initial state but generally it's very reliable.

I wooden buy ghost warrior 2 myself with that very average meta.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2013
  5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Colonial Marines - Was so excited! Story was rubbish, graphics terrible, it's only saving grace was played again in co-op and loved it (usually drunk when playing though)

6. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I don't know if id count this as the worst game but I might class Halo 2 up there, it was a real struggle and chore later in the game. I love the Halo series but 2 was a downer for me, when i next start the Halo series again im tempted on skipping 2 all together.

7. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Homefront - i told my self it couldn't possibly be as bad as the reviews made out. I told myself this is the studio that made desert combat for bf1942, my first taste of BF. They were involved in BF2, surely it couldn't be that bad.

Well it was! Total shite! :duh: I put a couple of hours into it aswell.

Oh and i never got Borderlands, played it for 5 minutes and gave up. I'd be overjoyed if valve would remove it from my account.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Like Stanley Tweedle I feel the same about Bioshock Infinite though it was not quite as bad as Sniper:Ghost warrior 2.

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

You do not need to answer this but - did you play a pirated version?

I have logged hundreds of hours into the game and while there are a few bugs none of them was game breaking. Ever. Even when using mods.

Not saying that you pirated the game - but most criticism I heard about TQ was from somebody playing a pirated copy that wasn't cracked properly.

10. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Gothic 3 day 1 release.

That game was bugged as hell, and it was eventually abandoned.

The whole experience scarred me for a long time, and put me off pre-ordering.
    Until... Colonial Marines.

F.M.L.

11. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Pit Fighter on the SNES. How they got it so dreadfully wrong will always perplex me. One minute you were alive, the next the screen would jerk and you would be dead.

Superman 64 (N64) what a dire, boring wreck of a game.

Alan Wake. It was interesting for a while. Then it went on, and on, and on. American Nightmare actually made my bollocks twitch as I restlessly fidgetted around whilst trying to complete it. You basically have to repeat the last chapter three times. On the first I was like "OK come on give me the ending I've had enough now". By the third I was squirming in my seat. The end couldn't come soon enough but it scarred me for life. I will never play another Alan Wake game as long as I live. Maybe they should have stuck to their guns and never released it on the PC?

Sniper. I agree completely with the comments above. My lady started playing this and we realised it was more of some sort of broken tech demo than an actual game you could actually play. Collision detection was among the worst I've ever seen.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

goldeneye on the n64, cant believe people actually rated that as being good "oh but it was good for a console" ****ING IRRELEVANT! whilst you were walking down narrow corridors big enough for one person in multiplayer i was rocket jumping off peoples faces in quake.

toss halo onto the pile as well, interesting lore but amateur game

13. Elton

Coincidentally TQ after all these years was cracked properly. The game runs smooth with or without the crack (My CDs have long degraded).

Console shooters were always painful to play. Still Perfect Dark and Timesplitters proved the concept to be a possible and fun reality.

14. Gunnzie

Gunnzie What's a Dremel?

Lair on PS3.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Goldeneye is great for the same reason that Mario Kart on the SNES was great - because four players in the same room is just amazingly good fun. It's horses for courses of course, but there's a fundamental difference between multiplayer online and multiplayer in the same room, and Goldeneye is a brilliant example of the latter.

Also, "Worst game you have ever played"? Really? :D

16. Gunnzie

Gunnzie What's a Dremel?

Agree. Goldeneye was superb with 4 mates after the pub.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

A few games i played on the Spectrum were bad, properly terrible... one of those is likely to be the outright worst i've played...

For more modern games I thought were utter garbage [and not just ones i didn't like]...

Bionic Commando
    DNF
    Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Pretty much every movie tie-in game ever made

Halo was crap, FF7 was mind-numbingly dull and GTA 4 made me want to punch the screen and i'd rather eat my own head than play any of them again but they're still not the *worst* game I've ever played...

18. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

4 mates after the pub? Timesplitters 2 is a thousand times better than Goldeneye ;)

Worst game ever? Could be one of many but I think it has to be that legend of true nerds everywhere - Diakatana.

19. Elton

Bro do you even Star Trek?

20. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

It's so hard to think of the absolute worst game I've ever played. Plenty of terrible low rent games, Rig 'n' Roll for example, that could and probably should take the crown but having not expected anything from them and not really having bought them specifically (free gift or humble bundle purchases) I don't even care enough about them to hate them.

I find Crysis to be a fairly soulless experience, and the most recent NFS: Hot Pursuit really annoyed me for removing the sense of actually being in control of your car.