1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Mac Mini Server 2010 with Momentus XT SSD/HDD RAID

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 4 Nov 2011.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I have the late-2010 Mac Mini Server with two 500GB normal HDDs in RAID-0.

Today I just received two sparkling new Seagate Momentus XT 500GB SSD/HDD drives.

a)
    Before I start disassembling my Mac and replace the drives, have anyone heard about others who have done the samein a Mac Mini?

b)
    Anyone using the Momentus XT in their machine and how does it compare to your old harddrive?

c)
    You know any test tools I should run on my machine now to get some numbers on how my disc performance is now, and later run the same to compare in the new setup?

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Yes. And that was the reason i bought Macbook Pro instead of Mac Mini :D

And same for Server (the extra HD) :

Last edited: 4 Nov 2011
  3. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Because it's nerve wrecking/extremely scary to totally disassemble your Mac?
    With two steady hands and a few late nights when the wife is out of town, and I managed to do it without too much trouble...

Now just wondering how I should bench-test to show off in numbers how much quicker my machine actually responds?
    (because oh yea it have made a huge impact in loading speed/boot time/file transfers!)

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Because you need about 4-5 different screw drivers and some additional tools to disassemble it. Compared to one screw driver to replace a hard drive in a typical laptop, PC or even Macbook/Macbook Pro. :D