1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Modem recommendations please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scalextrix, 10 Sep 2014.

1. Scalextrix

Scalextrix What's a Dremel?

Hello, changed from my BT Home Hub 4 to a Netgear EA6900 1900AC wifi router and its great. Unfortunately it needs a separate modem and thats where Im having problems.

I got a TP Link TD-8817 and it did fine on the LAN for DHCP, NAT, port forwarding ect. However on the WAN side it was a worse performer than the BT HH4. I have reconfigured the HH4 right now as the modem with the EA6900 doing the wifi routing in bridge mode. As Im understanding more about ADSL WAN side though, Id really like something more configurable than the HH4 which allows no tweaking at all.

Can anyone recommend a really good modem, just needs 1 x rj11, 1 x rj45, no wifi, DHCP, NAT/firewall, port forwarding and ADSL setup/stats/tweaking.

Thanks.

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

What about a Draytek Vigor 120?

3. Scalextrix

Scalextrix What's a Dremel?

Thanks jinq-sea, can you tell me if that modem can be fully configured manually, on the Draytek site it seems to say its plug'n'play and configured in a bridge mode.
    The only reason Im concerned about that is the Netgear router didnt do a good job of connecting to BT with my TP Link modem in bridge mode.

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Nono - it is actually a true modem, not a bridge device. It's fully configurable as far as I need, and I have had no issues with mine whatsoever on a claranet line.