1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux TTY and a portrait monitor

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by theshadow2001, 21 Mar 2015.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

So I have a basic linux system plugged into my portrait monitor. The monitor is also part of my main Windows system (I manually select inputs to switch between the two). I'm using gnome Ubuntu 14.04 but I intend mostly using the system through TTY ('cause I'm a glutton for punishment like that) I have the TTY rotated correctly by placing fbcon = rotate:3 into the grub command line, which executes during startup.

My problem is that that if text is printed the full length of the portrait screen it can actually be printed one line below the bottom of the screen. So you can't actually see the last line. The cursor can end up end up there as well under various circumstances (closing a file edited in nano) so when you type you can't actually see what you are typing. Its a little bit awkward to explain clearly to be honest.

Any ideas?:confused:

Last edited: 21 Mar 2015
  2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Maybe something like
    Code:
    stty rows N
    where N is the number of rows that can be displayed on the monitor.
    Otherwise,
    Code:
    clear
    will clear the screen and give you a fresh prompt at the top.

theshadow2001 likes this.
  3. theshadow2001

Thanks badders ill look into that. I was using clear but it still gets in the way with some things

4. theshadow2001

Worked a treat, +rep

I have the command as a script called by .bashrc so its executed when logged in. It works fine, but it seems like a messy solution.

I found a file called console-setup in /etc/default which allows you to setup the console. The program setupcon when run applies the settings in this file. Setupcon can be added to rc.local to get it to execute on boot. I haven't fully tested this yet (adding setupcon to rc.local) but it seems to be the most integrated solution for making console changes on boot.

Either way I'm happy out, everything fits on my screen :)

Last edited: 13 Apr 2015