1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress NPGP-A01, 22th Update [5th Sep 2015] New radiator/bezel support

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by cmd_, 2 Nov 2009.

1. cmd_

cmd_ What's a Dremel?

NPGP-A01
    New Project, my Great Project with a lian-li A01
    Direct links to updates:

Actual Status:

[​IMG]

Old stuff:

Sponsorship:

DFI is sponsoring with a LANPARTY JR 790GX-M3H5 motherboard.
    [​IMG]

EK waterblocks & Traxtore is sponsoring with a EK-CoolStream-RAD XT 360 triple Radiator
    [​IMG]

Special Mention & Where to buy things that I use to build the mod?:

Izarmicro helped me a lot to contact with some manufacturers., here you can buy DFI products.
    [​IMG]

Project exposure:
    I've been thinking about this for months, thinking about to do a great mod, sober, elegant, professional work...
    I'm looking for sponsorship for some mod parts, because I prefer to spend money on vital parts of the mod, for example parts that I can make with raw materials or electronics. Also It's a bit harder to find sponsor to cover all the mod costs, is more easier to find a sponsor for hardware or cooling components.
    But, well, after a +10 years in the modding 'under'world, I modded for me and for commercial business (manufacturer & third parts). But never I made a business deal between manufacturer and myself, until now.

I decided to start from a commercial case, because it matches my base ideas. Also comes with some machining that I can't do in my home. They're made with specialized industrial machines and I don't have acces to it, for now. This case it's a Lian-Li A01.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I made some proof of concept sketches. The case needs a lot of work to achieve the ideas inside my head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have the A01 in my hands, measures can be wrong.
    The front bezel will be in aluminium. There will be a mesh in front of radiator. Also I need to work more in the case front, make changes to fit a little display (alphanumeric) and give more personality.

PD: Yes, there are no dvd unit :eeek:

Last edited: 5 Sep 2015
  2. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Is it going to be watercooled? Might need a pump!

You could probably fit a slimline DVD somewhere, they are surprisingly small.

3. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Aye, that's gonna be a tight fit!

Nice concept :)

4. Andersen1337

Andersen1337 What's a Dremel?

Will definatly be following this, looking to build something similar myself.

5. cmd_

cmd_ What's a Dremel?

Thanks all for following the thread :thumb:

Yes will be watercooled, sketches didn't show nothing, only the radiator. The pump goes between psu and radiator.
    I don't use optical media, practically never. I could use a external drive if I need.

6. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Yikes, that is cozy...

I will be interested to see future sketchups, that is a tiny box to fit everything into. I watch...

7. RasmusAnden

RasmusAnden What's a Dremel?

that design is awesome! - love the "cleanness" ;)

Subbed! :)

Edit: aren't there supposed to be pics of actual modding in here? :eyebrow: ... can we see pics? :D

8. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

This is exactly the kinda build i want to make, mATX watercooled very well in the smallest case possible. Definitely be watching this closely.
    I was considering doing my build in the Lian Li Xbox case, its 160x250x415mm (W,D,H)
    But that meant fitting a mATX board which is, 244x244mm a seriously tight fit with only 6mm to spare :p

9. cmd_

cmd_ What's a Dremel?

1st Update, the first sponsor!

Hi, I'm very happy to anounce the first sponsor, DFI. They are supporting me from the beggining, and this is very important for me.
    They have given me a motherboard, a LANPARTY JR 790GX-M3H5, you can see the technical specs in the DFI website:
    http://www.dfi.com.tw/portal/CM/cmp...sWindow?action=e&windowstate=normal&mode=view

All this business has been possible thanks to DFI's official distributor in Spain, Izarmicro, who helped me a lot to contact with DFI.
    Thanks for all the professionalism and attention given, thanks Jon, Patricia & Karin.

Well, let's explain some interesting things from the mobo. This summer I was looking for a mobo in m-atx format. I decide to choose this one because it allows me a big management. It have a lot of bios parameters to control voltages and fine tuning, specially for overclocking. Also, the pcb desing and component placement are good.

I made some photos from the unboxing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This summer also I bought a PhenomII 955BE and a pair of corsair ddr3 memory modules at good price. They combine pretty well!

[​IMG]

Here a closer look :eeek:

[​IMG]

For now I will mount the system on my PC-65B to work freely with the other. Also I disassembled the watercooling system to prepare some components for new system.

[​IMG]

Running in stock air :sigh:

[​IMG]

Some daylight.

[​IMG]

10. cmd_

cmd_ What's a Dremel?

2nd Update, A01 arrived.

At last! the A01 is here, it was a bit difficult to get, because most distributors have no stock. Finally I found one on a local store, but in black. I prefer in aluminim due to paint job later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This its a old 'black ice pro', you can see that the radiator width fits completly well. Anyway the radiator isn't taking all the case width, is touching with the motherboard tray. With the mobo tray removed, or cutted, a radiator can be placed spaciously, without any problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, ok, now starts the serious job, remove those all pieces that isn't need and cut! :dremel:

Stay tuned :rolleyes:

11. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I really like your renderings! I will be following this one for sure! :)

12. Pashtet

Pashtet MonstaMods

Damn! You make me think about buying this case! :D Love what you're planning to do with it!

13. cmd_

cmd_ What's a Dremel?

3rd Update, Disassembling the case

He he he, yes, I'm a bit excited, this was the first time that I totally disassembled a lian-li. After all wasn't too complicated, unscrew some screws, drill & punch the rivets...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow, gained a lot of space!
    [​IMG]

There's a problem with the radiator, al least with those black ice extreme models. It touches with the rails used to lock side panels. This needs to be fixed later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I don't have a triple rad. but you can make a idea with this. I think it will fit without problems.
    [​IMG]

Oh, a dual rad. can be placed in the case top!
    [​IMG]

Time to drill.
    [​IMG]

This piece gives robustness to the structure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starts to take away a bit.
    [​IMG]

Unscrewing this you can disassemble the lock device.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the lock bar, it works like a latch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At last! finally I can separate the front/top and rear/down pieces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the little problem explained before, the widest part from the radiator is touching with the lock bar passer.
    [​IMG]

Ah, remember to store the screws and little parts in a safe place when you disassemble a case!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, ready for hard-work! :cooldude:
    [​IMG]

A basket to store all pieces on a safe place!
    [​IMG]

14. Validus

Validus What's a Dremel?

I love taking cases apart. Especially finding those craftily hidden screws between stickers =^P.

I like the concept drawing... Clean and classy. Looking forward to how it comes together.

15. pabn1

pabn1 What's a Dremel?

So, what do you think: would it be possible to make the wires go behind the motherboard tray?

16. cmd_

cmd_ What's a Dremel?

Sure, it's possible, there are sufficient space between mobo tray and side panel to fit some wires :p

17. pabn1

pabn1 What's a Dremel?

Even a fat 24pin mobocable? :eyebrow:

18. cmd_

cmd_ What's a Dremel?

After a profuse experimentation with PSU wires seen here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=165462&p=1944364 , I can say that I'm sure :hehe::hehe::hehe:

No, really, however I can put a rail to guide the 24 wires from the psu to the mobo connector. There are a lot of ways for doing that, I do not mind this for now.

19. Pashtet

Pashtet MonstaMods

what are you going to do with the rads? find some smaller ones? maybe something like XSPC RS series?

20. cmd_

cmd_ What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to "measure" if a triple radiator could fit, I do with a dual+single :rolleyes: I have a old cooltek on another pc, like this but triple: http://www.hardwareoverclock.com/Dual-Radiator-2.htm

It's a bit old, has a simple design, I think less effective compared to newer radiators... or not, don't know. :confused:
    Which are the exterior measures of XSPC?