1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Possible new build, advice and suggestion - whats possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GMC, 14 Apr 2012.

1. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Right, slightly different request here as i know more what i want to do than how to do it, but hope you can help me work out the options

Budget:
    TBC depending on functions (see uses) but want to be economical on parts decisions as my main rig can cope with mostanything I might throw at it!

Main uses of intended build:
    Quiet and low power Home entertainment. I want to try and centralise as much of my home entertainment arrangements (except pc gaming) as I can and also have access to movies and music remotely if possible via work xp laptop, android phone and android tablet.
    I currently have virgin hd cable, a sky box used for free view occasionally, a ps3 used mainly for DVD and Blueray playback, and a DVD player with 2.1 sound (dvd no longer works) which handles all the audio. I'd like to get rid of the dvd player if I could route audio somehow through a pc. Possible?
    The pc would be used for central storage of movies and music, playback on hdtv of these and internet tv, streaming to internet or over internal gigabit lan/wireless n.
    I'd like to also use it as a file server. Don't expect to ever switch it off, or would need remote wake up and power on from remote control.

Parts required: all but monitor, keyboard and mouse, but after setup, want to operate the unit mainly with a remote control - poss android phone?

Previous build information (list details of parts):n/a

Monitor resolution: hdtv

Storage requirements: pretty substantial, thinking a few large hdd in raid but very open to suggestions as not very familiar with raid

will you be overclocking: No

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):

Extra information about desired system: needs to be fairly compact, ideally cube chassis or htpc chassis

I think thats all the main info, sorry this is a slightly unusual build post but hope that you guys can help me, or tell me if I should just give up and buy a nas and a new audio system, though that decision would not be purely financial as I want a new project :thumb:

Thanks in advance for any options, suggestions or any other form of constructive advice

Last edited: 14 Apr 2012