1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Internal rad mounting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaemonAnt, 31 May 2009.

1. DaemonAnt

DaemonAnt Hyper Modder

Hi guys, thought I'd make my first post on Bit-tech a n00bish one:D.

I know the CPC team really don't recommend the ThermalTake BigWater, but at the moment, it's all I can afford. To cut to the chase, is there a way of mounting the rad inside the case, because other builds have tubes sticking out at the back which looks ugly to say the least.
    Thanks in advance.

Ant

P.S. If I can avoid h4xing the case, that would be great.:dremel:
    EDIT: Might opt for a Hiper Osiris case.

2. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

What case do you have?

3. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

One big advantage of having the rads outside the case is the heat is disapated outside of the case rather than in. If you have it inside then you have to consider having good cooling within the case.

I had a quick look on google images and people have managed to mount it inside the case. I think the amount of modding you would have to do is drill some holes in the case so you can mount it. If you do feel brave you could cut some holes for the fans to blow directly out of the case. so its inside but you get the benefit of blowing the heat straight out.

4. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Not quite. Because air is rather poor at conducting heat it only exits a radiator a couple of degrees warmer than it enters, which is still lower than the components it'll be flowing over.

Your right that it wont be as effective just having fans, but as the most important components will be getting cooled by said radiator anyways it's generally a worthy trade-off. ;)

5. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

Am i right in thinking though that although it will be cooler than the components its running over but cooler air (with the rad outside the case) would provide better cooling even if only by a degree?

6. DaemonAnt

DaemonAnt Hyper Modder

I still intended the air to be drawn out of the case, but I lack the imagination to position it in such a way that the tubing will not be sticking out as severely as it is.

7. DaemonAnt

DaemonAnt Hyper Modder

Thanks guys, I'll probably mount it under the drive bays at the front of the case. I will also get a drive bay res to ensure that the res is above all of the components.