1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Can I use Wireless Router (Linksys WAG54G) as bridge?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by phinix, 10 Feb 2010.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Guys, I have a problem. For some reason my wifi adapters won't work with my P55 mobo under Windows 7 (32/64bit). I cannot route LAN cable thorugh all rooms, so I have one question:

can I use my old ADSL router as "wifi connection"?
    Let me explain - I use Virgin Wireless N router now for internet connection. 2 other PCs are connected to it via WIFI adapters. Now, my PC doesn't work with any WIFI adapter I throw at it, so can I use cat5 cable to plug my PC to this old Linksys Wireless G adsl modem/router and connect that router "wirelessly" to Virgin router as "hub/switch"?
    I hope it does sound clear what I want to do:) Help me uout, cause I cannot keep 20m network cable on the floor all the time, my missus wants to kill me! ;)

2. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

The simplest answer is to get a wireless device working on your PC.
    What's the problem with them?

Or you could try the router in Wireless Bridge mode rather than Access Point mode, and connect it to the Virgin one. I have no idea if Netgear let you do this with their routers tho' [my Asus one does].

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

There's no way to fix it cause there is some issue with that mobo, so I cannot fix it.
    I need to go around it, using router as bridge would be good, I need to see how thatw orks tonight. Not sure if I can actually make this Linksys old router work as wireless bridge, not access point...

4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

OK. Now, I sold my router, cause I couldnt use WDS with it.
    Now, I was thinking about getting wireless access point (bridge) with WDS option, then connect short cat5 cable from my pc to this bridge and connect this bridge wireless with my wireless Virgin router... That should work.. right?

Using this access point? Its about £22...

5. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

Wish i would have seen this before you sold the router. With a Linksys router you probably could have put DD-WRT on it and just enabled Repeater-Bridge mode and did what you were saying. I've never seen this done with an access point though..