1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CoolIT sues Asetek over split-flow patent

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Jun 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Don't they have patent pending in America ?

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

There's more to it than that, right? Surely I'm missing something or the actual patent hones in on something more specific?

From that vague language it sounds like they're trying to claim patent rights on the basic functionality of every waterblock made in the last 10 years, since as far as I know almost all of them use micro-channels or pins to break up boundary layers..

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You can peruse the full patent over on the USPTO site. Interestingly, it's a revision of an earlier application in which claims 1-48 inclusive were cancelled - so originally the patent was considerably broader than the granted version.

I got in touch with Asetek, and was told that as the case between the two companies was ongoing there'd be no comment on the matter. My take: CoolIT is using this new patent to convince Asetek to shut up about the patent it sued CoolIT over in 2012. I wouldn't be surprised if the two companies agree to cross-license the respective patents in exchange for both cases being dropped and no damages.

Zurechial likes this.
  5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Thanks for the link! After skimming through it I still don't really see what elements of the patent are distinctly 'new' in light of the way that waterblocks have been made for years, except that the density of the channels seems higher than is typical - And the fact that it's part of block/pump combination unit.
    Patent law is way outside of my area so maybe it is in fact novel enough to warrant a patent, but it just seems odd to me.

That makes sense. The whole thing stinks though. It's not very far from the kind of ******** going on in the smartphone litigation wars.
    Next we'll see them suing each other for rounded corners on their radiators. :p