1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Recommended headphones/earphones for a 6 year old?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fingers66, 14 Sep 2010.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Can anyone recommend some headphones/earphones for a 6 year old to wear with an iPod Nano?

My boy is music mad, Smells Like Teen Spirit is his absolute favourite, he is a guitar junkie I reckon - he headbangs around the house to it! :rock:

He already has a guitar and starts lessons after school soon. I want to encourage his music interest so I bought him an iPod Nano 2nd gen from the marketplace here. Now I need some new earphones for him.

Does anyone have any experience of buying headphones/earphones for a 6 year old? Obviously they will need to fit a smaller size head and/or ears and would need to be comfortable.

What is best - in ear or over ear?

I don't want to spend huge money as he is a bit rough with things still, he is a six year old boy after all.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable?

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Cheers for the suggestion m8,

I was hoping to avoid getting anything that needs batteries if I could, enough of his stuff takes batteries as it is. I can limit the loudness via the iPod itself as well.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

4. Cannondale4321

Cannondale4321 What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 16 Sep 2010
  5. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i can recomend them aswell they sound awesome with my walkman, however i do feel they sap a lot more battery than the standed ear phones

but quality wise they are epic

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Cheers for the suggestion but I am not sure about in-ear buds for a 6 year old. How have you found them with kids? Do they come with different size grommets? Do they stay in?

7. bagman

bagman Minimodder

my earphones stay in while i am running and it comes with 3 different size ear pieces so it will fit anyones ear

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Koss KSC75

Sound as good (if not better) than the CX300, and are cheaper.

Isolation isn't as good, but it's not like you'd want your six year old to not hear you. :p

9. Cannondale4321

Cannondale4321 What's a Dremel?

Yes, they come with different size buds and we've not had any problems keeping them in. I don't let my lad outside with them because they really do isolate sound.

10. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I don't wanna come over all 'elf n safety but you shouldn't let your kids were ear phones at all or headphones for extended periods. Their hearing is still developing/growing and ear phones in particular concentrate loud noise (it will be loud) right into the eardrum.

The damage, should any occur, only becomes apparent later in life when it's too late to do anything about it.

(I'm totally deaf in my right ear (as a result of something that had nothing to do with earphones etc wearing as a kid) but mention it as I know how inconvenient(?) even just partial deafness can be.)

11. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I'm with fingerbob on this one. Probably best not to give a six year old headphones. I am partially deaf in one ear - probably due to standing next to 10ft speakers at too many gigs in my youth!! My Dad gave me a pair of Senheiser's when I was about 12 which probably didn't help matters!

Perhaps some portable speakers might be better? A bit rubbish if you like your Hi-Fi, but I guess your boy is not at that stage yet!

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Cheers for the note of caution, I myself suffer from tinnitus due to some years spent as a mechanic years ago whilst being a bit of a metal-head.

I am thinking of some non-isolating earphones (that don't encompass the whole ear) that we can control the usage of. The plan is that the iPod will be for journeys in the car or airplane only.

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

You can lock the volume of most MP3 players (definitely iPods), so that's no problem.