1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft announces Windows 10, Insider Programme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

Interesting but I want one that goes to eleven.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Have you ever noticed that the volume on the BBC's iPlayer goes to 11? I always liked that little touch.

4. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

Not until now!

Last edited: 30 Sep 2014
  5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

In a slightly more evil dimension.....

MS Employee "Sir, it's been rumoured that Windows 9 will be free, everyone's expecting it to be!"
    MS Management "Damn it, what are we going to do?!"
    MS Employee "Call it Windows 10?"

[​IMG]

6. IT Troll

IT Troll What's a Dremel?

Modern UI apps can now run in a window. Now that is radical for a product called Windows.

Spot the typo in the picture caption.

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Ha ha, I noticed that too... Good old Microo... :)

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Late 2015?

the UI (preferred) changes could be implemented way before the "under the hood" changes to suit all devices.

9. GrahamC

GrahamC What's a Dremel?

This was as damp a squib as I thought it would be. :)

10. Gareth Halfacree

Fixed, ta!

11. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

As long as they sort out the legacy software issues ala RT, then the one solution fits all would be a brilliant achievement. Not even the hipster Apple have perfected that and the others just don't need mentioning as they'll never get there.

12. ObsCure

ObsCure What's a Dremel?

XP good
    Vista bad
    7 good
    8 bad
    9(supposed to be good)
    10 bad

13. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

So not only are they holding onto a functionally superficial update to return the Start Menu for the next version of Windows despite it being an incredibly infamous flop, they are holding onto it for an ENTIRE YEAR despite, as far as demos and leaked builds have shown, it being fully functional right now.

I understand they want to go through the beta process like they did with the consumer previews of 7 and 8, but an entire year is way too long for this! There must be a better balance to make sure such a massively important function is right?

14. kent thomsen

kent thomsen What's a Dremel?

Lol!! Comment of the day. :)

15. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

I can't believe nobody mentioned the guy's hair yet. Not only is he far far too old to be trying to carry that look off, but it also acts as a kind of ironic metaphor - Windows 10 is still trying to tack on the 'new' design and ideas that didn't work except now on an old and infinitely more familiar interface. Old face, new haircut.

16. SchizoFrog

Too old? It's a combover, plain and simple. Truth is that the soppy emo/trendy fops are too young to be doing it. :)

17. SchizoFrog

Doesn't that rule only work with actual releases though? So as 9 isn't going to be released, 10 should in theory take it's place as a potentially good OS.

18. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

I saw the stream yesterday and i must say, i'm ready to throw my money at it.

I love Win7 and Win8, well, i see some good in it. 10 seems to be a mix of both good with a couple bonus rounds.

I'm in.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I hope Microsoft get around to telling people what changes, or advancements there are under the hood. Changes to the way the GUI behaves is nice and all, but what's going to make W10 better than Windows 8.x in terms of what makes it work.

So far there has been no mention of things like DX12 and if it will be exclusive to W10, no mention of things like the tickless kernel that was introduced with Windows 8, persoanlly i think that's one of reasons Microsoft had problems selling Windows 8 to tech people, they didn't say much about the technical changes, or advancements on the technical side of things.

20. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

TBH I hate it when people use this line, XP was good upto a point but is simply the most unstable OS I've used when compared to Vista, 7 and 8.

Vista was as good as XP 'in my opinion' The problems with incompatible drivers and software was naff all to do with MS, the software and hardware makers knew the stuff wasnt going to be compatible out of the box but still it took until a fair while after Vista's release for them to release drivers/software that works, the Memory management problem wasnt actually a problem as Vista had a new memory management paradigm that made it look like a resource hog.

8 is only bad to people because they think they need to change and many people hate change, honestly it couldve been done better of course but, Win 7 wasnt very friendly with touch screens so you could understand MS' position, you might argue that Win8's arrival could also have had a hand in the different number of devices that use windows these days, not just PC's and laptops but also Hybrids, multi position laptops, tablets and a huge amount of choice in touchscreen laptops now that have a proper touchscreen OS that can do everything weve done for god knows how many years.

Rant over

Last edited: 2 Oct 2014