1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blu-Ray films delayed - again

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 4 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

hopefully this will kill BR and let HD-TV rule! (not that I mind which wins (although BR has more DRM) I just think it sucks to have 3 different formats of one film!)

3. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

VCR, DVD, PC.

I have no use for another format, unless they obsolete DVD's. Hopefully by then I can just download everything.

:rolleyes:

4. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Blu-Ray has always been my favorite simply because of the technological advantage of having 66% more data per layer (15GB for HDDVD vs 25GB for BluRay, if my numbers are still right). HDDVD always just seemed like a weak-sauce version...and grasping at straws with their claims of 45GB for 3 layers vs. 50GB for blu-ray's 2.

But, Blu-ray just seems to keep shooting themselves in the foot. First, the extra DRM (I guess that got more hollywood backing for blu-ray, but no consumer likes DRM). Then, the intended higher cost of the players and media. Now, more delays putting themselves farther from the release of HD-DVD. Sony even seems to have blown the "cheap player via PS3" by delaying the PS3 launch for so long, and apparently it'll be expensive when it comes out anyway.

As far as I know, some form of Blu-Ray has been out in Japan for a while (I think without DRM), so the only reason for the delays can be all the consumer-unfriendly material they're still working on. And there should already be an economy of scale there, so hardware and discs should be cheaper than the "newer" hd-dvd, not more expensive.

Maybe delays will help them get a better product on the shelves...but they can't possibly be working on hardware still -- if hd-dvd can use an intel pentium-M in their players, what the heck (besides their own DRM issues and other stuff nobody wants) does blu-ray need more time for?

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

they need time to create the ultimate DRM processor. they are going to loose this format war as they did with the betamax and minidisc and UMD. either that or someone will create some form of BR disk that wont be full of DRM.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I want bigger optical media, but I don't want my money going to Sony. I don't particularly want it going to MS either, but in this case I feel they're the lesser of two evils.

Sony's DRM has killed them in the past; chances are it'll happen again. Not to mention they apparently have some clause in their licensing contract that exclusively forbids dual-HD-format players.

I hope they both bomb, tbh, but I'd prefer HD-DVD winning.

7. Maniac618

Maniac618 What's a Dremel?

I think HD will prevail due to its cheaperness.

8. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

I just think it's a crying shame that it has happened at all. Betamax was decades ago and people still remember the scars it left deeply enough for it to have become a colloquialism to refer to something as "another betamax". I really cannot understand why one or the other industry couldn't swallow their pride and accept some sort of beneficial licensing deal. Their prefered option has been to gamble billions on a 50/50 bet. I think Maniac is probable right: consumers will choose the cheaper option. Both will give them HD on their TV, and people are already acustomed to having multiple disks: in fact I would go so far as to say that people like buying a two disk boxset. I love my four disk boxsets of LOTR extended. It somehow feels more special than just a single disk.

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Yes i fear blueray will lose despite being the supeior format, just like betamax.

But might I point out minidisc didnt lose a format war as they wernt in one!
    Minidisc was relased with the intention of replacing cassettes, which it made a good job of with massive sales...ok then mp3 came along and does the job better and has taken the market by storm. But minidics still sell well especially seeing as most minidisc players are now NETMDs which ARE mp3 players with disc, meaning they cost the same as a 128mb MP3 player bu have ultimited capacity via discs.

10. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

But they never really made an impact in the pre-recorded market it was all blank discs

11. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

It's because they are greedy beyond imagination and want all the possible licencing money. That is where the big money is, rather than getting a relatively small profit on just selling discs and paying a licence fee.

12. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

i work in currys and I have people asking me about this stuff all the time. From my point of veiw consumers will be put off in a big way because you cant play both discs in one player also HD-DVD sounds more acessable because it sounds like a better version of what they already have where as Blu-Ray sounds totaly different and unrelated. Its going to be a long time before you see either player in a store like currys, its very hard convincing people they should pay more than £30 for a DVD player never mind £500 for a HD-DVD one. To me £300 seems a fair price for a HD-DVD player but it would be more apealing if it played both discs. £500 - £600 would be ok for a HD home thearter kit though.

Tags: Add Tags