1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress PLXTC [update: 110910 -the first LEDs]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by thechoozen, 9 May 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

Time to start a new Worklog :thumb:

In the last month we spent the most of our time for another project which was build for the Bequiet & PC-Max Casecon (scratch build) Contest, beside that we also had to finish a lot commissioned builds which had to be done...so there was not much time to start a new project (beside the fast forwards :D)

But now the biggest stress is over so we can start over with a new Project :thumb:

Before i start we would like to send a big Thank you to the People @ Cougar for their support!!! Because they already promised us their support for our next projects on the Cebit this year and already send us the PSU for this Project weeks before we even start with it! Really nice!!!

Our Project is inspired by chris@cmd and his project from the Cardboard Challenge (@Modbrothers Forum) who really makes an awesome freeform Cardboard Construction!!
    Naturally we don´t want to build an exact copy of it, but you will see some similaritys, so we don´t want to withhold our inspiration:thumb: Beside that we´re going to build it out of an "old"/new chieftec Case, which is solid enough to let us do what we want to....

So we started yesterday....removing the first rivets out of the case so that we can remove the motherboard tray and the PCI Slots from the backside (not much more from the case is really needed for the project :D)

But here are the first pics......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the PSU:clap:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Nov 2010
  2. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I've got one of these classics sitting besides me now with mods in planning so I'm intrested to see what you come up with plus Given your previous logs this is destined to be EPIC!

Needless to say.. subbed :)

3. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

Ei here you are again after Spain:rock:

Chieftec rocks so this modding will be awesome, keep on modding:rock:

4. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thx a lot m8´s!!! :rock:

yeah! we also have done some Chieftec mods in the past, and the cases are really good for modding :D

like promised, i spent a bit of time today in making a rough 3dmodell of the case....so that you get a better imagination where we´re going for :thumb:....all the detail work will follow as soon as possible...(not everything is planned up to know...)

5. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

:thumb: looks crazy! and nothing like the original case :p going to be one heck of a worklog

6. Danny

Danny What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to this. :D :rock:

7. Anubus

Anubus Minimodder

This is going to be awesome!

8. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

:clap: thx m8´s!!! :clap:

Before i start with a small update...we just wanted to shoot a big THANK YOU to the guys @ Evonik! They will support this project with their Plexiglas and maybe we will make another Episode for their own Webcast/TV Project - Plexiglas.tv :thumb:

In the last days we didn´t make much progress...because we had to finish another Scratch Build Project for a customer ...but we managed to make some cuts onto the mainbase...so that it is a bit shorter than original so that we avoid a lot of problems...(beside that we can make the case a bit shorter)...we also picked up a clear plexiglas tube, which we will cut to the right length tomorrow :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

Today we could make a bit of progress....not so much...but i hope that will change in the next days....what we did today....was to cut the tube to the right lenght, sanding the edges and cutting out the first parts of the motherboard tray mounting bracket...

i think we will make 2 more of them, then we will attach them to the mainboard tray and make an additionally crossbar which connects the single pieces with each other....that way we should be able to clap the mainboard tray out of the case when the case is fully opened....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Your back! And with Chieftec case. Cool :cooldude:

11. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

:rock:

just a quick update with a few new pics :thumb:
    in the last days we made the next 2 parts for the mainboard tray mounting....after that we cutted a few notches in the backside of the tray so that the holding parts will sit flat on the backside of the tray without space between it....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I'm totally lost as to how this is fitting together and I love it :D

13. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

This is going to look sick:rock:

I imagine the final look , if it stays like in the video it will be awesome:thumb:

14. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

yeah it will come close to the first render....atm i´m making a new rendering which shows the actuall stand of our plannings.....maybe a few colors and materials will change but we will see....:D (we should get new red mirror plexi in the next days :rock: maybe we can use it for some parts :confused: )

in the last days we cutted/sanded and prepared the next parts for the motherboardtray mounting bracket, so that we could glue everything together today.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

Today our package with Plexiglas from Evonik arrives :thumb: :rock:(Thank You Evonik!!)
    Now we can really start this project :D

so after the arrival...we grabbed the small hand circular saw to make smaller parts of it which are a bit easier to handle....beside that we already cut out the next 2 rings which we will use to mount the HDD´s on it ....

We also cutted the raw hdd mounting bracket and 1 of the mounting parts for the big tube itself....i think tomorrow we will make the 2nd one so that the tube can be placed in them....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (the red plexiglas pieces are red mirror plexi...white is high gloss white, silver is sterling and the last is smoke grey)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

I'm impressed by your plexi work clean cut and unusual shape. But I really don't see how this will fit and I love it. Reading your log feel like a puzzle.

17. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Awesome, subscribed for sure. Can't wait to see how this pans out. Are you planning on keeping that ugly frosted tube? Or is it the protective plastic that does that?

18. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

time for the next puzzle pieces :D

before i get back to the workshop i thought i keep you up to date :thumb: yesterday we already made the next 3 pieces of the case....the 1st was the second tube holder...which i already mentioned...and then we made the first parts of the case outside....

oh no ..it´s not frosted....it´s just the protective plastic wrap around it which brings that frosted effect atm...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

looking excellent so far, keep it up

20. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Wow this looks fantastic. Can't wait for the next update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.