1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Capcom: "Gamers have abandoned the Wii"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

played a bit of Mario kart over Christmas that was about it in the last year

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Were 'hardcore' gamers ever interested in the Wii from the get go?

4. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

Wii works best when you get a load of people together. It was great fun over Christmas and when people visit, but you don't need hardcore games for that!

I was hoping for some fun games like Baldurs Gate or Zelda but the Wii seems saturated with cheap clones like you see in Tesco. "Job Island" wtf?

It reminds me of the early home console days when 90% of the games being shovelled were crap. Eventually gamers abandoned the consoles on mass, nearly killing Atari et al.

It is annoying having to lay out another £40 for new controllers everytime an interesting game comes along. I only have Wii Fit for the balance board and the nunchucks only come out for Super Smash Brawl.

Without the new controllers the games seem too pricey compared to PC and other consoles.

5. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

CAPCOM: "We would never admit that the Wii was never really targeted at mainstream casual gamers from the get go, and our marketing research was flawed, and we screwed up by focusing on making niche titles for a very small portion of the overall demographic. We blame the hardcore gamers who are totally at fault for abandoning a console targeted at the mainstream, and Nintendo for probably paying us large sums of money to make installments of our popular franchises for their console.

ps. it's totally not our fault, it's everyone else's."

6. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

For me "hardcore gamers" = PC gamers

same. I remember playing something similar on the n64. actually it wasnt similar, it was exactly the same. Mario should die.

7. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Quote: "...lamenting the poor performance of Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles compared to the success of the very similar Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles a year or two previously."

So Capcom release a game and everyone likes it and buys it. They then release a "very similar" game "a year or two" later and wonder why everyone goes "pff, seen it before" and ignores it. For an encore, they go on to cite sales which were "lower than we hoped" in the middle of a recession on a mass-market console when it's owners "have turned to much more mass-market stuff.

Nintendo's old hardcore audience from the NES and SNES days are now all approaching (or past) our 30th birthdays, have serious jobs and less time for so-called "hardcore" gaming and are starting families of our own. Of course we're ignoring your games, Capcom, your products are irrelevant to us now!

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I own a wii have done since release, it gets no use at all anymore. The lack of decent games has meant that its been side lined. Yes its more of a social gaming system, but for me 95% of the time i dont have a house full of people.

9. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

Have been a "hardcore" Nintendo fan ever since the Super Nintendo I was extremely hyped for the release of the Wii. I actually slept outside the store, so I was sure to get one at launch. Since that my Wii has been used for RE4 (8 play troughs) Zelda, Metroid prime and dust.
    But I'm not complaining, I bought a PC instead :D

10. Xir

Xir Modder

...maybe it's a good time to get a used Wii ;-)
    The new ones with a decent set of controlers are just too expensive for what they offer.

11. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

I to my wii it every now and again for a bit of a laugh when I have friends round.

I also use it a fair bit for iPlayer!

12. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I can't remember the last time I bought a Capcom game for any system... I wish I was hardcore :rolleyes:

13. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

So Capcom are complaining about the lack of sales for 'gamers'' games while gamers are complaining about the lack of high quality games.

I think this highlights the gulf between what the developers and publishers are giving us and what we want. I think even the big, top companies have looked at the Wii's sales, thought they can make a quick buck, and simply don't put in the effort that they will for games on the other consoles, not just in terms of resources and hyper-turbo-super graphics but final quality. "It's only for the Wii, that'll do." In this very example Capcom have tossed out a game very similar to a previous one, counted on the wide user-base to guarantee sales and the audience has said "meh". Now they don't know how to respond and gain sales again.

There has traditionally been difficulty for third parties to sell as well on Nintendo consoles as Nintendo themselves. The reason is simple, the reason is quality and this generation the third parties seem to understand this less than ever. Of the games released in the last twelve months I can only see myself buying the Metroid Prime Trilogy and New Super Mario Brothers, once I get around to them.

'Gamers' do want games on the Wii, Monsieur Seux, we're starved of them, we just aren't buying what you're prepared to sell.

14. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, and while the wii has made me smile on a few occasions (mario galaxy, zelda twilight mainly), it really is a social thing when family and friends come around....

15. El Rando

El Rando I know what a dremel is

Yeah I'll admit it, I have abandoned my wii. used to be a huge Nintendo fan boy but these stupid games coming out have totally turned me.
    O and the other thing that annoyed me about the wii is that the ps2 was able to support dvds, ps3 blu-ray but the wii STILL doesnt do dvds. Shame on you!
    I know its not that big a deal but its so much easier and less clutter.

16. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

wii fit revived the wii for me. Im turning into a fat mess cause of gaming lol. Other than that the wii only gets an outting at parties for people who dont game or younger family members. Guitar hero is always popular as is mario kart and wii sports.

Personally I like shooters like house of the dead. they work really well on the wii, other than that, the motion controller is just bollocks and some games are just rehashed turds. Nintendo just seem to push the nostalgia card too much IMO. just look at the latest mario game.....Its a snes re-release!! I was looking at 2nd hand gamecube games to get some life but the good ones are pushing the price of a new game!

Either way, xbox and PS3 have younger titles. Take little big planet, buzz, sing star, lips, viva pinata, lego titles. As those gamers get older they become more interested in the MGS, Halo and COD:MW. Add friends with a console or an older brother/sister and the fact the gaming isn't just for nerds and its not surprising that theres a mass movement from Wii => xbox, PS3 and to an extent PC

17. Manu_Otaku

Manu_Otaku ManuOtaku

Well i dont understand what capcom was really expecting, On rail shooters are great on wii, but they are such a niche genre, of course it wont sell well, take a look a monster hunter 3, is a complete game, a great game and it did sold almost 1 million copys in japan, therefore there is a market for good games on wii, capcom you just have to make complete great games not niche genres, heck even madworld that was a great game but a short one, sold pretty good, therefore find another excuse please at least more believable.

I own the 3 consoles, and my wii didnt have the chance to collect dust at all, even it has the same share of gaming time along with the ps3 and 360, games like madworld, little king story, muramasa the demon blade, de blob, punch out wii, no more heroes, tenchu wii, zack & wikki, HOTD Overkill, fire emblem Radiant, Batallion wars wii, the godfather, a boy and his blob, didnt let my wii collect any dust at all, heck i didnt even mention the most prolific first party nintendo games that are really time eaters, therefore i cannot understand why in the world of all that is sacred, some people tell that is not enough good games on wii and their wii is collecting dust, for me there are just two logical explanations possible, they dont know the existence of the before mentioned games, or they dont own a wii.
    P.S and i didnt put this year long a great list of nintendo wii games coming, that are a lot and with great potential.

18. javaman

It comes down to

1)games look better on PS3 and Xbox360
    2)More content for games on the 360 and PS3
    3) arguably bigger/better online community
    4)Wii remote doesn't work well for alot of games
    5)Alot of wii games are over priced for what they are

While the wii does tap into younger gaming market and new/inexperienced gamers, it still cant hold a candle to the big boys. With 6 axis and netal even the wii's biggest selling gimmik is under attack.

19. Manu_Otaku

Manu_Otaku ManuOtaku

javaman , Yes i agree with you at some extent, but the thing is, if you have fun with a game all the previous things doesnt matter, i like videogames that are fun and great and those can be found it on the wii, heck i even bought last week the sly coopers games for my ps2 , that i never played before, and i having a blast, they are not groundbreaking graphically , look good thought, but they are fun a play great, that is not what videogames are all about?, but thats my humble opinion , iam 34 year old that has been playing since 11 and i own SNES, Sega Genesis, N64 ps1, ps2, dreamcast,XBOX, GC, PS3 , 360 and a wii, and i think the wii hold a candel with the big boys because down to it has great games, that played well, look ok and are fun.

javaman likes this.
  20. javaman

Fundamentally yes it comes down to what you enjoy more. Consumers want to keep up with the Jones tho.

While Wii is fun I just found it becoming tedious after a few days. Sonic and mario at the olympics is a perfect example. How many different ways can you wave the remote around and copy past to every game. While game pads aren't the most exciting, they perform the job of controlling the console rather than acting like [one of] the main entertainment mechenism's.

Bowling is a game that worked well with the wii remote too and its easy to get immersed with it but 10 frames of bowling is hardly exciting after the 250th time. On top of that making an ass of yourself isn't that much fun when your the only one there to see it.

great games that played well: some are. Racing and on-rail shoots are amazing but how many ways you can wave a controller gets boring. COD and GTA will draw away gamers ultimatly. Its hooks like that mario has to compete with today. I still don't hear many gamers talk about how great the wii is online.

look ok graphics aren't a problem for me tho if something looks good it certainly helps sales.

fun So's the competition. Wile I look for opertunities to try and use the wii (wii fit, guitar hero on wii rather than the 360) not many people will do this. If it looks better on Xbox, why get it on wii? Arguabley Titles like COD, GTA, Halo, Gran Turismo, Forza, Oblivion, buzz, Lips all match or outright beat any comparaible title that comes out on wii.

Tags: Add Tags