News Microsoft unveils IllumiRoom gaming technology

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Jan 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

At times that looked incredible, at others more of a gimmick but still, might keep my eye on this.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

How does it not project across the TV screen and therefore overlay it?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'll let the article answer that question:

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd find it distracting personally...

Teelzebub likes this.
  6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Right... so I'll ask again. HOW does it not project across the screen? Does it produce white light across it rather than the images? Would that not affect the TV and produce a reflective white light on the TV?

7. Gareth Halfacree

It doesn't project anything across the TV - why would it? The projector will use DLP and simply turn a rectangle the size and shape of the TV black.

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I like the idea of this, but the amount of extra GPU grunt it must take would surely make it impractical? Certainly for an XBOX.

Would love to give it a try though!

9. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

well its running on a 360...so....yeah extra gpu may not be needed.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Perhaps for an Xbox, but an Xbox 720? One thing that jumps out of the video is that the IllumiRoom image is quite clearly of a lower quality compared to the main picture. As well as running at a lower resolution - as far as you can tell from the video, anyway - the textures are significantly simpler. In some examples - the outline environment, the effects-only section, the snowdrop and star segments - there are no textures at all.

That's likely how the trick is done: after all, if the IllumiRoom could produce an image as good as that of the TV, you wouldn't need the TV at all...

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Its only filling your peripheral vision, it doesn't need to be hi res or very detailed just enough to blend from the display. It looks very cool but I expect MS will come up with some way of making a mess of it prior to general release.

12. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

looks awesome

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Wonderful idea because everyone has a hi-def projector aligned to project at the entire wall.

It's a tech demo, with the tech itself a very basic extension and twist on projection mapping tech we've all seen elsewhere, including Sony for their PS3 ads blended with a bit of Philips Ambilight

http://vimeo.com/34605168#
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAZcDHIIXDs

This "unveiling" is not a real product and it will never be a real product. It's totally impractical as anything other than a "Aren't we clever" demo.

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If you've got a projector, why not just play games on that...?

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Projectors aren't that great to play games on, need a darkish room etc for best performance.

I don't think they're claiming everyone is going to have it tomorrow? It's a potential product?
    It's far better than Ambilight, and more realistic than the PS3 thing as far as I can see?

16. Gareth Halfacree

Yes, because it would be impossible for Microsoft to strap a Kinect sensor - £82 - to a short-throw pico-projector - £75 - and sell it as a £160 add-on product. What madness would that be?!

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I think the effects coming off the screen look cool. But when it simply extends the screen it looks a bit meh.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't consider this technology to be anywhere near as gimmicky as touchscreens, on the other hand, I'd rather use the object recognition feature for a projector being the main display rather than have a TV along with a projector. That way people can could make a spherical room or something and have their game surround them. It would also allow things like movies to work, not just games. I think this has an awesome potential but I don't see anyone buying a projector (which tends to be more expensive than kinect) JUST so they can see fire and snow flakes out of their peripheral vision.

19. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Gosh have projectors really come down that much in price? What an old fart I am, remembering buying a projector that did 1024 XGA for 1200 GBP 6 or 7 years ago.

I agree with the thinking that some of the effects were great. I especially liked when the flame and laser shots went outside the TV. That was clever. The picture above sucks as did some of the effects. And I am not sure quite how much the marketing department have messed with that end video, I suspect quite a bit. You would also need a pretty 'dark' room - the only way projectors can cope with lighter rooms nowadays are the tech built in to the pull down blinds. Normal home walls and furniture will be a whole mixture of colours, shades, materials, textures ..... A bit like the Philips ambilight TV tech. Its ok, good in a few cases, not great in most.

20. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

i remember seeing this a while back and i thought it was going to be some sort of VR / knightmare.

how wrong was i!