1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room mate woes

Discussion in 'Serious' started by GregTheRotter, 21 Feb 2014.

1. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Long story short:

I've got a room mate that is sharing one of the rooms in my house, for £600 bills inclusive. When the guy moved in (he was paying 400 and when he said his gf would be coming it became 600 pcm) I never told him the wifi was included, and he didn't ask if it was. I figured, eh, I don't need the wifi all the time, and gave him the password for it. I told him I would switch the wifi off if I wanted to play a few games of battlefield, on my pc. I get home from work, and play from around 12 to 4 am.

The reason I turn it off is because the minute someone's using it and I'm playing I start rubber banding, and it's unplayable.

He had asked me the other day, not to turn it off at night. So I didn't for a few days, and obviously, didn't play on my computer.

Last two night's I have done. and tonight he decided to ramble on at me, in the little english he knows, that he pays, he pays, wifi all the time, etc (he pays £600 a month bills inclusive, for a double room, for two people, bills include water, heating, electricity). When I tried to explain, he wasn't actually listening to me at all. I never said that wifi was included in the bills, and shortly after he arrived, I had told him I would switch it off late at night if I was going to have a few games.

I don't see why I should have someone bully me in my own house, when for a measley £12 a month, he can have unlimited data on his phone, and I can actually spend some of the little free time I have, doing what I want.

I got home at 23:20, and saw that they were both still awake and talking. When I got home, I looked at the kitchen hob, and there was fat from frying all over the surface. The other day, I asked her if she could clean the hob because her boyfriend leaves long hairs all over the kitchen hob. She said fine but basically gave me the impression that she just thought I was just being unreasonable and nit picky. The girl speaks a lot better english than he does, so I spoke to her, and just asked her if she had been frying because there was a lot of oil all over the hob. Long story short, I said I'd clean it, don't worry. The guy comes down, and in short, says to me, what is the problem. I said don't worry, I'll clean the mess. He says to me, don't talk to my gf and gives me some post it note from her saying 'if you want to say something write it down for me. leave me alone.' I tried to get past and he put his hand on me and repeated 'understand, understand?'. I crunched up her note and tossed it.

Any words of advice?

Last edited: 21 Feb 2014
  2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Kick him the **** out. No respect man. Its your market!

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Seconded. With IMMEDIATE effect. That last part is an attempt at physical intimidation. You have put up with far more than anyone should have to so far.

You should NOT be cleaning up your lodgers' mess. And why the eff is someone leaving hair on cooking equipment :confused: ?

Do you have an official contract with them? Either way, unless they do something really bad, you're going to have to give them a month's notice. Unfortunately it's a possibility that they'll be pricks and make your life difficult - if they cross a 'line' during this period then your either going to have to get legal help to shift them or call a few friends and dump their stuff outside while they're at work, depending on whether they're official lodgers or not.

4. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I would have spread his nose across his face the second he laid a hand on me in my own home and attempted to intimidate me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Same. He already has quite the bargain and tbh is now taking the piss. Kick him out.

6. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Same from me. Get them out now and save a lot more grief and hassle in the future.

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

What is stated in the tenancy contract about kicking him out? I would give notice ASAP.

8. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

On the one hand, if you believe portrayals on the Telly, foreign couples in shared accommodation are about as likely to commit heinous crimes against you as anyone, so watch your back if you try to end things.

But on the other hand, sounds a bit hasty all this kick em out business. Sit down and talk it through, or at least attempt to. It sounds like you left the door open for conflict at the beginning by not spelling out what the expectations were. Why go through the hassle of getting new tenants if you can come to an agreement with these?

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'd only go to an instant eviction notice if you feel unsafe and don't see any positive outcome with the lodgers.

If you think it can be resolved without eviction then start off with a formal letter outlining any and all issues that you feel are outside of the housing agreement. If they respond as if the letter is unreasonable then get in touch with your local authority and ask if they can give you the details for a mediator, and if at all possible one that can speak the language of your lodger.

If you do feel unsafe with them in the house and want them out, then I would firstly pay a visit to your local police office and explain to them that you are feeling threatened by your lodgers and will be going through the eviction process. The police in the UK are very well trained for housing disputes and will often be able to provide a few options of support during the eviction process.

You may also find this website a good read for snippets of advice:
    http://www.lodgerlandlord.co.uk/

10. RTT

RTT #parp

It doesn't really sound like you're going to find any common ground (especially with the language barrier) so I'd politely hand him/them their notice and have them out of there as quickly as possible.

Life is too short for shitty living situations, they are stressful as heck. Been there, done that, never again. It's not worth your sanity

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Point at the door and say: "OUT!"

AKA

Give them the notice.

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If they're causing problems I'd just look to replace them, don't see any benefit in putting up with them unless you can't find someone to replace them (since I assume you need the money)

13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Serve notice NOW. Nothing is worth that sort of nonsense. Of course, if you have a contract in place, you'll have to work within the terms of that. If not, you should be getting them out ASAP!

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Tricky. Relationship may be beyond repair. Serve notice.

15. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I was paying 400 a month to my mom who's in Greece for the last two months, so can easily stretch to 500 a month once these people are gone and I start looking for a new room mate.

16. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

wot he said

17. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I've asked my mom to email them the notice (since it's her house). Do I have to physically hand them a copy, or can I just wait to make sure that the notice has been received, from my mom?

We've given them to the end of March to move out.

18. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

The best part was when he said, in effect; 'I'm not paying, 300, i'm pay SIX HUNDRED'.

LOL, go find accomodation in henley for two people bills inc for 600 ^^

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

While this isn't all about Internet. I think you still need to find a technical solution to your Internet problem. As this is going to be a point of contention for future tenants. Certainly I would be annoyed having moved in to be told to use my phone Internet or having broadband disconnected when you start gaming. Or I simply can't have broadband because you have it and won't turn the wireless on.

I'm sure you know the frustration when the isp drops the connection while you're using it. So you are putting tenants in a similar situation. The fact that you are taking priority over other people in the house as well will further compound the annoyance of having their Internet taken away. House mates should be more or less equal and you prioritising yourself changes that a bit.

As for solutions perhaps there's a router that can prioritise your traffic before anyone else. QoS

Maybe homeplugs and a wireless access point.

Perhaps you can get a separate line for tenants which they pay for.

20. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

While I can understand the internet side of things, it's just the fact that I don't need to have people who you can't say something to, without feeling that I'm treading on egg shells.

The reality is, it's a LOT less costly, for them to get a giffgaff sim card, and have unlimited data, than it is for me to start forking out for new routers, and so on. This guy thinks he's ENTITLED to the wifi, which is not the case. I'd much rather have one person in there paying 500 a month, than have two people in there, where the one person refuses to get a job and sits at home all day with the door closed for 600.