1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Free SMTP mail servers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tomm, 29 Jul 2009.

1. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I want to send email from my iPhone from two accounts - my gmail account and another (doctors.net.uk). The gmail SMTP server works fine for my gmail account, as expected.

However, if I use the gmail SMTP server to send doctors.net.uk emails, google changes the email address to look as though it's come from my gmail account. This never used to happen, but it obviously looks very unprofessional - it looks as though I'm using a personal email address to reply to work emails. Luckily I haven't been using it this way for very long.

Personally I think this is pretty shady behaviour from google, it seems as though they were stealing traffic - what's worse there was no way of knowing this was happening until I realised an email had appeared in the wrong inbox.

But being irritated won't solve my problem: What SMTP server can I actually use?

Doctors.net.uk don't have an SMTP server
    I don't have a permanent ISP at the moment

Any ideas? It needs to be reliable though - I have heard that a lot of smtp servers are used by spammers and are on a lot of block lists?

2. quack

quack Minimodder

Google isn't doing anything shady if you're seeing "blah@gmail.com on behalf of blah@example.com". The way it sends email is to put the gmail address in the From: and puts your other email address as the Sender: in the email body. If they didn't do it that way other email servers would end up bouncing a lot of your email.

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Not sure how it works on the iphone, but have you tried to reconfigure your email account to show a different "Mail from" address than the account's address? I can do it on my blackberry, so I'd be surprised if you couldn't there.

Other than that, any "free" smtp server you might find will be blacklisted by so many places its not even worth thinking about using IMO.

You could:

- use dyndns.org to get a dynamic hostname for your broadband ISP
    - set up an email server (I've used MDaemon and MailEnable quite extensively - the latter when I worked for a webhost - but hMailServer also looks good
    - set this as your email server, and in turn set this to relay to your ISPs email server using your SMTP user account with them

You mentioned no ISP at the moment, I assumed you meant hosting company for your domain, not broadband ISP, so my apologies if I'm mistaken :)

4. quack

quack Minimodder