1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Corsair 600T White Water Cooled Build (Completed)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kojack51, 7 Jul 2011.

1. Kojack51

Kojack51 What's a Dremel?

Hi all, ive been lurking around these forums getting ideas for a long time and probably wouldnt have gone water cooled if it wasnt for some of the great builds on here :idea:

So then i wanted something different but im not an ubber case modder so i decided on the Corsair 600T white case as it caught my eye and as a large midi size case i thought it would be good for getting all the water cooling in.

[​IMG]

So the full spec is as follows:

Mobo - ASUS P8Z68 V Pro - A great sandy bridge board with loads of features, SATA3 and loads of overclocking options
    CPU - Intel i7 2600K - The new sandy bridge chip that i plan to overclock to around 4.5ghz
    RAM - 8GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 - Amazing RAM for the price
    PSU - Corsair 850W Pro Gold - One of the best 850W modular power supplies you can buy (imo)
    SSD - OCZ Agility 3 60GB - SSD for windows7 only, full system startup time in less than 30 seconds.
    HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - A fast, silent, solid hard drive for everything else.
    GPU - Nvidia 560GTX Ti Twin Frozr - Fantastic card for the price, overclocked at the factory it can compete with the more expensive 570GTX
    Optical - Samsung DVD RW S222 - Well you still need one!
    OS - Windows7 home premium - Standard fair.
    Case - Corsair 600T White - Project storm trooper

Water cooling spec:

CPU Block - EK Supreme HF
    GPU Block - XSPC Rasa
    Rads - Phobya Xtreme 200mm Radiator + XSPC 240mm Duel Radiator
    Pump - Laing DDC Ultra 600LPH Pump + XSPC V3 Pump Top
    Reservoir - Bits Power Z-Multi 150mm
    Misc - 3x Scythe Typhoon 120mm Fans, 1/2" High Flow Barb Fittings, 7/16" ID White Tubing

Build pics and details to follow :D

Last edited: 18 Jul 2011
  2. Kojack51

Christmas came early :D

[​IMG]

I also spent a couple of hours getting to a water cooling ready stage so i could plan things out!

[​IMG]

3. Kojack51

I have also removed the stock cooler from the 560GTX Ti Twin Frozr which i felt a bit bad doing because a) the card is brand new and b) the cooler looks awsome :blank:
    I bought all the parts from Scan so i had the build insurance incase i messed something up during the build.

GPU before

[​IMG]

GPU after

[​IMG]

4. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

5. Kojack51

So i need to decide on my circuit makeup, this comes down to a couple of things. My main problem with the case is fitting enough heat removal (or radiators) into the case because its only a midi not a full tower.
    I was going to be fitting two 240 rads (with two fans on each) into the case, but after some measuring i had to go with a 200 rad at the front.

The positions for the radiators can be seen in the pic below, the case is designed to be able to fit a double rad at the top so this will be easy to fit although the space above the mobo is tight. The second Rad at the front of the case (this is why i removed the drive bays) i will have to fit in with a bracket as the case isnt designed to house two radiators.

[​IMG]

I will fit the pump and reservoir somewhere at the bottom.
    I made this sketch to show the curcuit (i may have done this at work i may not.....) :naughty: , i have run the Rads after the blocks so that none of the blocks get fed with 'hot' coolant.

[​IMG]

6. Kojack51

Im trying to get the updates on quicker but i didnt realise your a newb until 10 posts :duh::read:
    It can take up to 12hrs to get a new post up :lol:

Anyhow the keen eyed of you may have noticed i moved one of the hard drive bays into the 3.5" bays so to make more room for water cooling and give a cleaner look. This isnt really a mod i guess as i just moved something and secured it in place but worth a mention i thought :eyebrow:

7. Theoroshia

Theoroshia What's a Dremel?

How are you going to fit two rad's in that baby? Oh, and is the case any good? I've been looking to get one, but it's a hefty price tag.

8. Kojack51

I was originaly going to fit a 240x70 Rad (for two 70mm fans) at the top and front but its too long to fit in the front so i changed to a 200mm square Rad for the front.

Im very happy with the case, its big for a midi but has lots of room inside, especially if you take out one or both of the hard drive bays (which is a quick job). :p

9. Kojack51

The water cooling parts arrived plus i got a couple of bits from Ebay.

[​IMG]

The EK parts i was very impressed with, quality of the parts and packaging i thought were really good:

[​IMG]

I have fitted the CPU chip with thermal paste and fitted the block backplate to the mobo:

[​IMG]

CPU block fitted and pipe fittings added:

[​IMG]

10. Kojack51

GPU was next.

Cleaned

[​IMG]

Thermal paste

[​IMG]

Water block fitted

[​IMG]

Block and RAM heatsinks fitted

[​IMG]

11. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Nice job...

I'm a fan of the EK stuff, like you say it looks good as well.
    Really like the look of this case.
    Bit more curves to it than my 800D

12. Kojack51

Next was to fit all the watercooling gear in place. (again sorry for the quality of some pics :worried:)

Top Rad fitted

[​IMG]

Top Rad fans sit in the top of the case

[​IMG]

Front Rad fitted with fan

[​IMG]

All water cooling parts fitted

[​IMG]

All parts plumbed in

[​IMG]

13. Kojack51

Window Mod....

I wasnt happy with the size of the case window, its a bit small. So i decided to make it larger. I have done a couple before, i have used some window trim which covered the cut edge and also held the acrylic window in place, this worked well but im not to keen on thick trim these days.
    I have also done one on a black case and i used no trim at all, i cut the window and spent nearly a day making the cut out perfect with a file and just sprayed the side panel and attached the acrylic to the back of the side panel. This had a nice clean look but took a very long time plus i had to spray the panel.
    This time i decided i didnt really want to spray the panel (plus getting a white match for the case might be tricky) so i bought the smallest trim i could find and decided to just glue the acrylic to the back of the side panel. So......

How it looked before

[​IMG]

Side panel taped up and marked for the new window. Taping makes it easier to mark up and also protects the paint from scratches and tool marks. I also tape up the underside of the jigsaw guide plate for double protection! :naughty:

[​IMG]

This shows the panel after i have cut it with the jigsaw and cleaned it all up with a file, i use a large half round file for the corners. You can obviously use a dremel for all of this but im happy using a file. The acrylic sheet is only rough cut as you wont see the edges behind the side panel. Tip: if your using a jigsaw use a metal cutting blade for acrylic as this will reduce any chance of cracking, just make sure it doesnt get too hot.

[​IMG]

The acrylic glued to the back of the side panel and the trim fitted

[​IMG]

How it looked after :D

[​IMG]

14. Kojack51

Thanks Oatey, the quality of the EK equipment is excellent. Its not cheap and im sure some of the money goes on the pretty packaging but its worth it imo.

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Damn nice work there and I did not think that would all fit in.

16. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Now that looks really good.
    Not going with any Hose Clamps?
    I love the white in white.. got blue myself
    Need to get an extra EK Block for my extra 470 - it can wait

Awesome job on the new window.. it shows it off some much more

17. mackraney23

mackraney23 What's a Dremel?

Excellent job Kojack51. Builds like these inspire me to do my own liquid cooling as well. I just have a few questions;
    1. If i only plan liquid cooling my cpu, then i only need one 240mm radiator on top with 2 120 fans as exhaust, correct?
    2. i know i want compression fittings but im not sure how much i will need and what size.
    heres all the supplies i am getting as of now any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks
    res/pump
    tubing
    cpu block
    rad
    aslo if could suggest what fluid and/or additives i would need.
    thanks for the help

18. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

That is a nice tight, clean and tidy build and the window mod makes it look so much better...top modding dude.

19. Elmacho

Elmacho What's a Dremel?

Very nice mod on the window, I just love this case!

20. Kojack51

Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated as this is my first water cooled build :D

I dont think i need them with 1/2" fittings and 7/16" hose. Its a very tight fit and i havent had any slipping or leaks so far (im a bit behind on the updates) and i love the clean look without them. I did look at compression fittings but again i dont think they look so clean as they are a bit bulky. Just comes down to personal preference i guess :thumb:

The only thing im not sure about is the RAM coolers being black, i may try some blue ones to see if it suits better with the mobo heatsinks being blue.....