1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU needed to run a GTX 295

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by penryn 2 hertz, 20 Dec 2012.

1. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Hello i would like to add a Gtx 295 to the team but the psu i need to power it are really expensive i have everything to knock up a rig using a core 2 duo 2.1ghz is there anyone willing to help me out with finding a psu or donating one...

2. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

What power level are you wanting? I know the GTX 295 needs up to 285 W and 1 x 6-pin + 1 x 8-pin, so if it'll be the only PSU in the system 550-600W should do, but don't know what else is in the system...

I have thought about adding a GTX 295 as well, alongside the 570 in my SB build, seems like a good idea now we can get QRB with them :)

3. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

can we??

4. debs3759

Some Beta wu give a QRB, there was a thread about this recently

5. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

oh yeah but they have stopped it now those WU's have gone back to the internal beta testers

6. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Has the 'unequal number of shaders effect' really gone away? I'm getting curious numbers with GTX 570, 560 Ti, and 560 Ti 448 cores running in one machine.

And I'm fairly certain the beta tests for the QRB were for GTX 400 series and upward.

7. debs3759

I didn't realise it was only for 400 series and later, or that it had ended. My ppd is about 25% higher now than pre-beta.

What's the 'unequal number of shaders effect'? I have a 460 GTX and a 550 Ti I might add for the winter if they won't have an adverse effect. Been sorting my collection to see what might be of use :)

8. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

At the beginning of December 2012 the GPU WUs were 'rebenchmarked', and most of the points went up. Some new WUs were released which take significantly longer than usual to complete, but score well. Both of these changes are independent of the beta-test QRB for GPU WUs.

The 'unequal number of shaders effect' was a nasty little surprise for people who mixed different cards in their machines - basically if they weren't GPUs of the same generation with the same number of shaders, one or more of the cards folded more slowly than it would on its own. This was compounded by nVidia using a crazy naming system at the time of 8800 and 9800 series, so that the generations were not clearly differentiated. The problem eventually appeared to go away with a rewritten core and a driver update.

Mixing GPUs of different architectures is unlikely to give predictable behaviour, even now.

9. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

But the thing is guys i need a power supply lets not run away here...