1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress HAF Stacker - Mando'ade

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dragonith, 13 Dec 2014.

1. Dragonith

Dragonith What's a Dremel?

Hello Bit-Tech!
    So, I've been a forum lurker for quite some time now, and I've been wanting to do a decent worklog (and a case project, as a matter of fact) for many years, however both time and money have constrained me thus far. So, here goes my first attempt at worklogging!

But not any more! During the past year I've been gathering some components of what I knew would someday grow into a nice watercooled case!

I'll be using a Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935 + 915F which currently hold:
    • Asus Maximus VI Formula
    • i5 - 4670k
    • 2x 8Gb G. Skill TridentX DDR3-1600
    • 1x Samsung 840 - 250Gb
    • Asus GTX 980 (Reference)

Upgrades to come:
    • Asus GTX 980 STRIX
    • More SSDs!
    • 2 more G. Skill TridentX modules

Now onto the aesthetics and the name! For those of you who can't make sense of the weird looking word in the title, it's translated as "Sons of Mandalore" (Star Wars lore if your still a bit lost). However, before anyone asks: no, I don't think it'll feature anything to elaborate (I'm not all that much of a good modder compared to a lot of blokes who dwell here!).
    I chose the name because I love Mandalorian lore and philosophy, mainly their battling spirit, and honoring this, I plan on adding some text to the inside panels with one of their war chants.
    As for the colors, I'm going to go with black and red, classy I know, but it's what best matches with the hardware and I personally love that aggresive atmosphere the combination creates!

Before starting with the first batch of pics I'd like to say that this project will take some time, as I'm currently in my third year of engineering and my teachers are more than convinced that I can somehow bend the space-time continuum to do an insane amount of works, reports, tests, activities and such! And of course, there's the economic barrier, so I'll be getting the remaining components in the next months.

Overall, I think it'll take until summer 2015, tops! Wish me luck!

And now, for them pics (some are months old)!

The case when it first arrived!
    [​IMG]

The motherboard in place
    [​IMG]

A picture from about two months ago, with the minimum hardware in place. Also, yes, the fans located at the front have been scavenged from previous cases I've had... But stay calm as those won't be in the final build!
    [​IMG]

This one was taken yesterday, as I started rearranging components and some wiring, getting everything ready for what will come in the next months!
    [​IMG]

Getting ready for the paintjob!
    [​IMG]

Peeling off the pesky CM dust filter...
    [​IMG]

First frontal section ready for painting!
    [​IMG]

Other parts drying out in the afternoon chill!
    [​IMG]

And this is the end result of said section!
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, a pic of how the PSU will be placed in the upper module...
    [​IMG]

...and a pic of the lower part of the upper module: a nice fluffy foam that will work as dust filter
    [​IMG]

Detail of the backplate section with all the cable mayhem (for some reason the pic is rotated :grr:)!
    [​IMG]

And finally, the whole thing reassembled after yesterday's session!
    [​IMG]

Well, that's that for now! I expect next update will be around the 26th-27th of december. It'll probably be a bit boring as it will only cover some hardware upgrades... But I'll try to add shortly after some aesthetics regarding the inside acrylic panels I'll be adding to spicen it up a bit!

If anyone has some advice (be it regarding hardware, config, modding and photography tips...), don't hesitate as I am an eager learner!

Thank you for reading, and see you soon! :D

Last edited: 14 Dec 2014
  2. Dragonith

Dragonith What's a Dremel?

Ok, so a friend of mine just told me that he couldn't see the pictures. Turns out you need to be logged in with a Bit-Tech forum account since they're uploaded to my profile!

It's a tad late, so I'll be changing 'em for some other hosting tomorrow!