1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NZXT announces Hue RGB lighting controller

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 5 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

Any one else of the opinion that that's massive and the same job could actually be done by a little micro controller off an internal usb header and a nice piece of software?

3. suragh

suragh Derp

I need something like this. Good job NZXT.

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I agree with your opinion technobod, some people just like to fill up there drive bays though. Fingers crossed they make one to go elsewhere.

5. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

If you have it as software it just becomes additional bloatware that fills up the PC. I like the idea of having it as hardware. Hopefully they could release a one with an integrated fan controller as-well, I think they'd be onto a winner then.

An interchangeable colored fascia would be good aswell, does it come with one? People with cases other than black.gunmetal grey might not like the color change.

Nice though!

6. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I keep misreading the title as "_Huge_ RGB lighting controller"

7. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

While we are on the topic of light controllers, I have wondered for ages if there is a way to control RGB lighting using a PC components temperature ie. When the Graphics card is idle, the lighting is blue, as the temperature increases the lighting changes towards red.

8. suragh

suragh Derp

Interesting idea :D Would be awesome if a company did something like this.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Easy enough to do with a microcontroller. If there's interest, I could do a how-to for the site...

10. Dr Dark

Dr Dark What's a Dremel?

"While we are on the topic of light controllers, I have wondered for ages if there is a way to control RGB lighting using a PC components temperature ie. When the Graphics card is idle, the lighting is blue, as the temperature increases the lighting changes towards red"

>I thought there were a number of products that did this already?

11. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

Gareth, that would be ace, always love to tinker, plus my ego would be so huge if my idea was an article on my favorite site. (see the arse kissing there?)

Dr Dark - what products have you seen? I have been looking on and off for about 3 years and always came up empty handed.

12. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

Had another look for existing products. Closest I came was tap faucets, which gave me another idea, adding a couple of these to my watercooling loop.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Naaw dude. You just hook a thermistor up to an Arduino board. It's easy-peasy.

14. merter

merter What's a Dremel?

I think I'd actually be tempted with one of these. Love the blue hues in my case... right up until I want to sleep or watch a film!

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

My setup has temp controlled color change, as well as user-alterable and all kinds of other tricks. Too bad it's really not available as a standalone...

16. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

So how about setting up a system for raising and dimming the lights. At idle the lights are out, and when the temp increases, say graphics card temp, then the lights brighten. Lighting for gaming and darkness for everything else.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Indeed: an ambient light sensor can dim or change case lighting as the room lights are turned down. You could also hook it to events such as certain programs (games or media players) being launched. I am starting to wonder if there is a nice little project in that: case lighting that dynamically adapts to changes in the environment or what is happening on the PC.

18. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Tags: Add Tags