1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other [solved] csrss.exe heavy CPU load on monitor startup

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Pliqu3011, 17 Sep 2012.

1. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

I'm having a bit of a strange problem. It's mostly just annoying but I would like it solved nonetheless.

It started about 3 days ago, I believe. Every time I turn off my monitor (Dell U2312HM) and put it back on, no matter how long it stays off, my mouse has terrible lag for about a minute. It just stays still or twitches sometimes when I move the mouse, only to freeze again.

I decided to fire up task manager, turn off/on my monitor again and see what happened. It appears the culprit was csrss.exe, that gave full CPU load -- well, I didn't exactly see 100%, the task manager froze with it being 25%, and all other processes at 0%.

I've researched a bit on this csrss thingie, but I can't find a single reason why it should act like that when I turn on my screen. It could be a virus maybe, but I have MSE and Comodo Firewall running all the time and run a weekly Malwarebytes scan, so I wouldn't know how it got in - or why it responds to my monitor starting up...

Last edited: 17 Sep 2012
  2. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Tried switching my dell monitor on and off and it just stays at 0%.

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

It might be worth checking your graphics drivers are up to date, and there might even be drivers for your monitor as well.
    Are you using the USB hub in the monitor? Try without it plugged in and see what happens.
    Oh, and if you can plug it into another port on your graphics card/mobo (you don't say which you're using), try that.

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  4. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

The graphics drivers should be up to date, since I've completely erased and reinstalled them a few days ago to fix a really persistent openGL error...
    The monitor's drivers are delivered through Windows Update itself so those should be alright too.
    My monitors (the second one is an old CRT which doesn't influence the problem, I think) are both plugged into my graphics card, an HD 7770. I'll try to change them later, after I've eliminated all other possible causes.
    -
    I've just tried unplugging the USB hub and the problem seems to be gone!
    -
    Even after re-inserting the problem doesn't return. Huh?
    I know I've also restarted my computer since the time of my OP, but I'd already done that many times before, so I don't see why this time would be different somehow.

Hmm, I'm still confused why my USB hub would be causing csrss.exe to go mental.
    Or why it would stop by simply unplugging it.

Well, problem's solved I guess...
    There's some rep coming your way, phuzz! :D Thanks for the quick help! (I love these forums)