1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Help me pick out the best gaming LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drachnem, 1 Oct 2012.

1. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

I just built a new computer and now have an itch for a new display to match the awesome that is my desktop. I have read so many reviews and still don't have a solid idea of what I want.

This monitor would be used for gaming on high settings, I have seen an Asus LED monitor and loved the colors so color is very important to me.

Games I play:
    - Diablo 3
    - CSGO
    - Skyrim

I defiantly want LED, but what about IPS and 120hz?

My budget for this is no more than 400.

I keep looking at this one...

And this one

Please help me pick out the best one for me :thumb:

2. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I have the U2412m and I can't recommend it enough. If it is mainly for gaming then don't think about it anymore. Buy it and thank me later.

When I was looking I was deciding between the U2410 and U2412m but went with the latter as the HDMI port wasn't required and I didn't need 1 to 1 pixel mapping (I just wanted them). I glad I made the choice I did. The U2412m is lighter, cooler and still razor sharp. I've never had a problem with ghosting or tearing either.

This monitor is the best upgrade I have had since I went from a Radeon 9600XT to a AMD 4870.

3. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

Have you had the chance to compare the colors to the Asus? I have an Acer al2216w right now...

4. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

Anyone have a BenQ XL2410T? seems like the 120hz monitor of choice...

5. LifeLongGamer

LifeLongGamer What's a Dremel?

I have the newer xl2420t and I love it although it requires a lot of tweaking to get it just right

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Did you have a read at the Everything About Monitor Guide:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=218867

The above guide, if you take your time to read it, will, or should clarify everything, and understand better what you are getting from the specs, and what specs are marketing B.S, and what maters.

To quickly help you, the ASUS monitor that you picked is the low-med range, and the Dell is part of med-high end range of consumer level monitor. The gap between the 2 is large.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2012
  7. Ashotli

Ashotli What's a Dremel?

If you have a budget of £400 then go for the Dell it is the best out of the two you showed us, however the Asus is still very good and almost half the price, so for others with less cash don't be put of the Asus for gaming and watching movies.

Personally I plan to buy 2 of the Asus once I build the PC I am planning currently, one for home and one for where I live while at work during the week.

8. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

I have the BenQ, It's a good TN panel monitor, has good viewing angles for a TN panel, the colours take a bit of calibrating but you can get decent colours with decent blacks and whites. If you're after a 120hz monitor it's definitely one of the best.

9. GoodBytes

120Hz monitor aren't worth it, unless you want to get Nvidia 3D Vision glasses.
    Why? Because to enjoy it, you need the serious horse power to run your games at 120fps. Else you'll be at 60fps, so it will be exactly as if you had 60Hz. Sure your game COULD go in between, but you'll have tearing as you move as vSync would need to be disabled.

10. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

Good point...

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

CSGO, Diablo and Skyrim hardly need excessive hardware requirements to hit 120FPS tbh and he runs a Radeon 7950. There's a lot of BF3 players using 120Hz displays and the Frostbite engine is one of the most demanding out there still. If you're serious about gaming and don't obsess over colour accuracy 120-144Hz is the way to go because even if you're not interested in 3D, in 2D mode even on the desktop/apps it's a noticeably smoother experience.

Of course if you're put off by the TN experience then go IPS, but you still can't buy both IPS+120Hz unfortunately.

12. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

I am interested in IPS...

I want something that colors pop
    No ghosting
    NO light bleeding! That drives me nuts :)

13. GoodBytes

Well you are always going to have back light bleeding. Unless you get a PVA or MVA panel. Which are excellent at blocking the back light. But it should be much less than most TN panels, and not visible at all, when you play a wide screen movie or something. It's only visible on full black screen.

Just for you to be prepared, this isn't much of an issue as it sounds, but at large angles, you can see a glow effect on a full black screen. The glow is part of IPS panels, there are none at the consumer market, that don't have it. Again, if you play a wide screen movie or something, it won't be visible. The only fix on the glow effect is on med-high range professional monitors, where the panel has passed through an expensive building process to reduce this effect significantly. Maybe in a few years, it will be more affordable.

Don't bother looking for "IPS glow" on the web for pictures. Because all you'll see are monitors with some serious manufacture error, or seriously amplified by the camera they are taken, as the camera thinks it's a dark scene and boost brightness like no tomorrow, making the effect look ridiculous high.

On this forum, it isn't an issue, as again, it's only visible at, well almost extreme angles, and on full black screen.

I am saying the above to know what to expect. Of course, the more you pay your monitor, like getting the U2410, or a professional grade monitor, you'll see less of this effect, same for the back light bleeding. This has to do mostly from passing from an eIPS panel (low end IPS panel), to a higher end one like H-IPS (U2410/U2711/U3011), or P-IPS and other panel technologies).

14. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

Good to know.

I have read up about the Apple Cinema displays you can get on ebay... basically the same panel and hardware with a different casing.

My concern with that is the response rate, blurring, and high resolutions for gaming.

Anyone here mess with the off brand cinema display?

15. GoodBytes

I am against all glossy monitors. I experience, and had one. You simply can't focus. If you have a lamp in a corner in your room, or your monitor is next to a window. All I have to say, is good luck. You'll boost the monitor brightness at very high setting to compensate, and your eyes will hate you deeply. And then you'll go "Why my eyes are so red?". Terrible, simply terrible. Most average user don't care or have the problem, as they don't stay all day in front it, or they live in, what could be called a cave.

Also with the Apple display you have 0 control. Don't like the settings? To bad! No on screen OSD menu. Brightness control? Well you'll need to find a program for Windows that allows you to adjust that, even. Normally when you install BootCamp on Windows, when you have the dual boot thing with MacOS on a Mac, it comes with a panel that allows you to adjust the brightness, but that's it. Soooo. yeeaa not a good buy.

If you can afford the Apple display, then let me redirect you to the Dell U2410, or the U2711 monitors. Apple uses LG panels, very close mode to these Dell screens. The 27inch Apple display is the same as the U2711, BUT, remove the color processor, drop the Look UP Table to 8-bit, and LED backlight instead of CCFL. And of course, remove all the feature that the Dell monitor has that Apple's doesn't.

16. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

There not actually Apple brand, but its the same exact screen from LG. They are 400 shipped with pixel perfect quality which is why I was tempted...

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just FYI, the latest PB278Q (2560x1440) is MVA.

It's a trade-off though, because 8-bit IPS/MVA are slower than 6-bit eIPS, which are slower than TN 144/120Hz. It depends on your tolerance.

18. GoodBytes

The U2410 beats the eIPS panels in response time. It uses an H-IPS panel.

Tags: