1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays This is mental!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 25 Jun 2010.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

It's quite an old tv. Have you seen it in real life? It is extremely thin.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, but for £2500...

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thats what I was thinking, it's an awful lot of money for a TV!

5. bagman

bagman Minimodder

it does have a contract ratio of 1:1,000,000 and it is the first OLED TV and has the best image quality in the world and i recon still has read a few reviews about it and they say you have to see it first before you make a judgement on it

i think they where planing of doing a 27" model

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

27 inch!!!! at 2.5 grand I'd want it to fill the whole wall.

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

It's OLED. Give it a few years and they'll be giving it away with cornflakes.

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

9. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

it's a tech demo, not something people actually bought. i saw one at the sony store once, pretty cool.

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

The local Sony Store here had already sold 2 and that was a year ago ..

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Exactly, this tihng is old tech, where are the 'proper' screens?

12. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

I saw a wall sized 1080p tv in a deparment store in germany, something like 2.8 metres diagonal, for 70,000 FREAKIN EUROS. Amazing picture qaulity for such a huge screen.

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

OLED, great screen, although I hope you can adjust the brightness. Those LED lit TVs are more blinding than plasmas. Well LED/LCDs.

14. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

15. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I can't see how it could be any better picture quality than my BenQ 24" 1080p monitor.

The pixels must have been about 10cm square.

Surely you'd have to stand about a mile away to be able to make anything out.

:D

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ah this is a very old model.. You can have a look at it at about any Sony Stores in Canada. The screen is 720p I believe (don't quote me). I saw it back in 2009 or end 2008. The colors are truly impressive.. it's like if you combine a really high-end CRT with an LCD, with the thickness of a laptop LED backlit screen, cut in half.

Blacks are 100% black, and whites are perfect white, to my eyes in the store. Compared to Sony XBR top of the line LCD TV's, this OLED screen is way better.

The problem with OLED is that we can't produce one at a high resolution, of any size for that mater, without costing a few sets of kidneys. So basically, the technology is not there yet for large computer monitor's or TV's.

Low-end models of OLED are used in many mobile devices today, where they are not very bright compared to an LCD.

17. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

That thing has a contrast ratio of over a million. We are talking about static contrast. Not some silly dynamic ratio which is only really 1000:1

It has no backlight because each pixel is indipendently lit and colored. It doesn't have to use some cheap backlight going through a color filter. Don't even compare TN screens, the cheapest of cheap technology wouldn't stand a chance against the best of the best. That thing even makes professional IPS screens look like rubbish.

The model is old but the tech is far newer than what any LCD screens use. LCD technology was made more than a decade ago like combustion engines for cars which was made even longer. Only gimmicks here and there but no fundamental changes. OLED on the other hand is a completely new tech, far newer and superior to LCD technology.

Unfortunately Sony has stopped investment into OLED. They find it too risky of an investment. If they can't make them cheap, they can't make good money on them. Cheap LCD screens are much more profitable than OLED. I think samsung as well as LG as been investing into OLED right now but no strides in making any products at the moment.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2010
  18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Oh foolish sony. Then again Pioneer invested heavily into Plasma technology and looked what happened to them.

Still OLEDs are flat out amazing.

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I remember reading about them years and years ago, and thinking that I can't wait for this tech. Now it's 2010 and we're still using the same TN and IPS pannels we've been using for decades :(

20. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Heumm no.
    Both panel got better. And IPS panels actually got radically better in the last few years. TN panel is the one with the least progress in all panel technology as they are aimed to end up in dollar shops, and not really improve the technology to solve it's downsides.