1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Adobe is now giving CS2 away for free

Discussion in 'Software' started by VipersGratitude, 8 Jan 2013.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

2. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

There has been clarification since this story broke. Adobe has not released the CS2 software for free. Instead, it has cancelled its CS2 license management servers

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea I cried earlier over this as Gareth corrected me too :(:(:(

4. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Hmm, looks like I'm already late for the party eh.. Is the link still active?

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

You can still get the files, yes, but as stated above it isn't legal to use them unless you already have a valid license. The reason for these versions is that the activation servers for CS2 are being shut down, so legitimate customers (and only those) who still rely on CS2 can download versions which won't need activation.

However, now the cat is out of the bag and Adobe will have a hard time containing the leak. My take is that they probably won't do too much about it though, since CS2 is quite old (we're at CS6 currently) and doesn't necessarily run smooth on a modern OS. For instance, you need to run the software in XP compatibility mode.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The link is still active, and given the publicity that the original stories generated, I imagine some Adobe executives have hastily convened with their PR managers to figure out the next step.

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to think this was a deliberate move by Adobe to generate a lot of new Adobe users, but the realist in me is pretty sure this was just a simple case of poor management of a software life cycle. The horses are already out of the barn, the barn doors were broken off their hinges, and the barn subsequently burned to the ground.

I wouldn't be surprised if Adobe just let the whole thing go, waiting for the next big tech news item to distract people from the Great CS2 Giveaway of 2013.

EDIT:
    Your mileage may vary, but there are a number of people on the Adobe forums reporting successful installs on a variety of systems, including Windows 7 and 8.

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I don't really see the point in using it though, there are much better free alternatives now anyway to cs2, and ones that'll run better on new pc's.

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm still running Photoshop 7 on Windows 8, worth an upgrade? :lol: