1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other LED Light bulb advice

Discussion in 'General' started by modd1uk, 12 Jan 2013.

1. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Anybody have any recommendations/warnings ? After kitting out the house with LED bulbs and just wanted to know what to get/what to avoid, just the standard bayonet fitting.

2. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

The Ikea ones are really cheap and the couple of reviews I've seen say they're good? No idea about lifespan though.

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Only thing I can advise of is that you need to make sure you don't get ones that are too powerful, I got ones that were 50w equivalent (GU10's) for the spot lights in my kitchen and they are seriously bright, should have got 30w equivalent ones.

Also, watch what colour they give off, there are options for brilliant white to off white ones, my misses was a bit fussy with the colour the first ones I got gave off (too white lol)

Cabe6403 likes this.
  4. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

right this is where i should excel as its what i do for a living.

makes to go for in order of preference

bell http://www.belllighting.co.uk/
    philips http://www.philips.co.uk/c/-/19964/cat/
    osram http://www.osram.com/osram_com/trends-and-knowledge/led-home/index.jsp?mkturl=led

these are my top three. if you want them on a dimmer then there is not alot that would beat a bell lamp and they work great on a 400w dimmer switch.

to avoid

kosnic- we keep these in stock but they are being sent back to the manufacturor as we have had loads come back faulty after about 1 month

anything cheap and chinese on ebay.

what you want is an led that can put out 4w thats a 35w equiv or a 5w thats equiv to 50w

for home use i would suggest a warm white colour which is 3500k or normally stated as an 835

anything higher and it will make it look cold and industrial looking.

if you spot anything give us a shout and ill try and help you out as much as possible or i could sell you some lol

modd1uk likes this.
  5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

And keep in mind that they still get fairly warm.

Jizwizard: question. I have 50W 12V halogen downlighters in my kitchen, each hooked to their own in-line 12V transformer. I assume that I can use the same transformer for 12V 4-5W LED downlighters?

6. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

how many are you running in total. obviously there a g5.3 cap on the lamp

7. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

and there called lamps not bulbs lol. bulbs are what you put in the ground

8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Jizwizard - Firstly that name made me lOL. And you seem like you know what you're talking about, il get a list together and be in touch ;).

9. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Having had the main manufacturers one on test, I prefer the OSRAM ones out of aesthetics, performance and efficiency. Suggesting anything more may void an nda of mine.

10. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

This. I bought an LED bulb for my room. I wanted the 50W equivalent one but they didn't have any left so I just bought the 30W equivalent and it's more than bright enough. The 50W one would have been far too bright.

11. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Nothing is set in stone at the minute as to what manufacturers can stipulate there led lamp is the equivalent to so there is a lot ******** flying around. Some say there 5w is an equivalent to a 50w, some say there 6w is the equivalent. Alot of manufacturers are overpowering there leds which obviously decreases the life of the lamp

12. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Cheaper manufacturers will be overvolting the LEDS anyway.

As to equivalents, you should be concentrating on lumen output, and colour temperature instead of equivalent wattage otherwise you will fall for the same bag of tricks they used with CCFL's.

Now they are a blight...

13. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

True true. Work for osram by any chance?

14. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

ahh these things again LOL notice my tone.....that's because I live in the dark these days

Why? you might ask

Simples, because I have energy saver bulbs in every room LOL.

The brightest one I have found to date is this and its the only one that's actually white light and not yellow ( ment to be as good as 60W)
    http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/light-...22-bc-15w830lu/invt/0308905/?VBMST=bulb light

please if you know any better let me know

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I picked up an Osram cfl warm white bulb for 60p in my local bargain store (Home Bargains). It"s a 100W equivalent bulb (actually 35W I think), and is the best CFL bulb I've used so far. Bright enough from startup, warm colour - it's made me rethink ecobulbs.

I"d be interested to see how the LCD replacement spots work - I've got 10x 50W GU10s in my kitchen that burn electricity. £10 a bulb is a little rich for me at the moment though!

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

This is all the advice you'll need, and is pretty much ecactly the same thing that I would have said. +rep for some great advicve Jizwizard :thumb:

I'm doing this in our kitchen in the next couple of months, as well as converting the garage from a double 8' fluorescent fitting to 4x 6' single fittings for better light coverage. I'm going to be using OSRAM warm white LED lamps in the kitchen to replace 12 halogen fittings and hopefully reduce the amount of power that they use :)

Last edited: 14 Jan 2013
  17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

How much cooling do these need? Are they ok in normal fittings? I've got some mains voltage halogens I've been considering replacing.

18. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I'm down for 36 LIFX smartbulbs (Kickstarter - multiple pledges) - These will be the beginning of my smart-home revolution when I buy my first house in the next few months! I can't wait!

Don't confuse energy saving with LED... They're worlds apart!

19. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Your in-ceiling halogens should have some heat shields and fire protection - I can't see led bulbs giving off more heat than a mains voltage halogen' so you should be okay.

20. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Unicorn may I suggest some t5 lamps for that extra saving! There equiv to t8 is 28w-36w 35w-58w