1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AVP wins Australian rating appeal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Let's say the game sells a million units. 1-2% of a million is 10-20 thousand people who will probably go on to commit horrendous murders according the the Australian AG :D

3. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

As usual they entirely miss the point. The AG should understand that the people who he is concerned about (who are no where near 1-2%) can be affected by any medium. A tv show with a person being hit or a book with some violence or even a documentary about war, or even something happening in their own lives can set them off. Games do not have a monopoly on causing these people to become dangerous and are no more dangerous than anything else in society as long as they are only viewed by the correct age group.

Glad they won the appeal tho. Hope the Aussies enjoy it.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2009
  4. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

"I accept that 98 per cent, 99 per cent of gamers will tell the difference between fantasy and reality, but the one per cent to two per cent could go on to be motivated by these games to commit horrible acts of violence," he added.
    hmm cant they just ban movies and tv shows? come on this is nonsense

5. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Yeah. Even if we take his 1-2% figures as real. Of the 10-20 thousand who are 'motivated' how many commit violent crime of any sort? Even if we say, i dunno, 10% of those... and I'm picking a figure I think is wayyyy too high then we have 1-2 thousand people out of a a million people. At that level, we're looking at 0.001% of the million gamers committing a violent act. By those standards we should also ban alcohol, driving, watching sports in stadiums, etc etc etc.

Edit: My fiancé just made a nice point. At those percentage rates, we should be actively encouraging people to play violent video games instead of drinking alcohol. If everyone played violent games instead of drinking, violent crime would drop considerably :D

Last edited: 18 Dec 2009
  6. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Hehe Friday nights in town centers would be so different :D Massive open-air lan parties instead of massive open-air brawls? :p

7. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

I drink beer and play violent games at the same time, and I've only once kick a puppy.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I hope this was a virtual puppy or I'm gonna call the RSPCA on your ass!

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

compared to the original this is avp for console children, i couldnt care less :grr:

10. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

A good day for Australian Gamers...

11. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

I don't mean to be politically correct (no pun intended) but this is only the South Australian AG with this view - yeah, there's more than one AG. Each Australian state has an AG and the ratings sytem is govern by all of them reaching unanimous votes. All the other AGs appear to be for an 18+ rating for games (all other media has this rating already) except this single AG of South Australia
    Indeed though, this is good news for us Aussies though

12. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

13. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

I live in Australia and there is a LOT of hate for this Attorney General, Michael Atkinson. He's basically breaking our democracy. Because he doesn't like violence in video games, we, the entire population of Australia, have to suffer. Absolute joke of a politician.

14. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

So AVP gets the all-clear but L4D2 doesn't?

15. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

TBH I don't really agree with this.

I think if a game deserves an 18 rating, then it should get one. If Australia doesn't have an 18 rating, then the game simply shouldn't be released.

It sounds harsh, but i'm not against the violence in the game, just the fact that if Australia are simply reclassifying the game to a "15+" then there's not really any "true" progress against the system.

16. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

that's part of the reasoning by many as to why we should have an 18+ rating here. there are several games with high levels of violence etc that would be put under this new 18+ rating that really shouldn't be fit for 15yo. until then, it's a fight to even have some games released here unedited

17. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Well it's good that you know what I need and what I don't and that you're here to control our lives, god knows we can't do that ourselves. ****ing retards.

18. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Yeah, it's not that i'm against an 18 rating, but there's reason why some games are designed to be for mature audiences only.

19. NaThRo

NaThRo What's a Dremel?

They don't under rate games that deserve an R18+ rating to MA15+ just so they can be sold. They classify them unrateable and are therefore banned ('cause they can't be sold without a rating), exactly like you say in the first paragraph.
    We were effectively told AVP2 is rated above MA15+, doesn't get a rating and is therefore banned.

The appeal by Sega got it reclassified. The ratings board effectively telling us "woops, we got the rating wrong the first time, it should really be MA15+".

What is it rated elsewhere in the world?

I've seen L4D2 on the shelves of my local games shop... What you talkin' 'bout?

I can understand the reluctance to create an R18+ rating for games; it's very different to Movies and TV. How? In those media you see it, in games you're in control and do it.
    See the difference?

I'm not saying it's right to punish those gamers who aren't easily influenced by these things; I can however understand where the AG is coming from.

20. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

The L4D2 you see on shelves in Australia is an edited version. The most noticeable things are that there isn't as much blood splatter, there's no Riot Police uncommon infected, and bodies disappear before they hit the ground. Basically the same version that Germany got.

Tags: Add Tags