1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £1500 - High-End(ish) Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ImperialPenguin, 18 Nov 2013.

1. ImperialPenguin

ImperialPenguin What's a Dremel?

This is the first time I will build a PC from scratch, so please, PLEASE be ruthless in pointing out where I made stupid choices (throw in a few insults if necessary ;)). I have a high budget, but that doesn't mean I don't want value for my money.

I am particularly worried about compatibility. I don't want to get all my parts and find out that the CPU cooler is too big or something.

Budget:
    £1500-£1600
    Main uses of intended build:
    Gaming mostly but also work (design, programming & other techy stuff) and study. A lot of things really, hence the higher budget.
    Parts required:
    Everything except mouse and speakers. I use a laptop now so reusing parts is pretty tricky ;)
    Previous build information (list details of parts):
    Laptop so not really relevant. However, I do have a 23" TV/monitor that I will occasionally use as a second monitor.
    Monitor resolution:
    Will get monitor that can run at 1980x1080.
    Storage requirements:
    Relatively minimal. An SDD will house the OS and key programs, and one hard drive of about 1TB space. I have most of my media files on external hard drives.
    will you be overclocking: yes/no (delete as required)
    Not in the near future.
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    I don't think so. Of all the PC components, motherboards I know the least about (I know stuff has to fit into it properly, and that is about it :blush:)
    Extra information about desired system:
    I am building this PC to last. My plan is to build a solid, adaptable PC. It should live for a damn long time with a few upgrades if needed.

BUILD PARTS: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/ImperialPenguin/saved/2OmG <-- More detailed than below list.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM
    Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150
    Memory: Kingston Blu Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
    Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
    Monitor: LG IPS234V-PN.AEK 23.4" Monitor
    Keyboard: Gigabyte Force K3 Wired Gaming Keyboard

CPU cooler is a mystery for me, so I assume the one I picked is not quality. Case is also something I am not confident with.
    GPU and CPU must be badass.
    Optical drive is more or less meaningless to me.

2. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Im in a hurry but the thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is the size of that SSD Drive. Get a minimum 250GB. That allows windows and some games and your programs, with 128 you'll be struggling!

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Agreed on the SSD size, I would get a 256. Windows tends to grow for no obvious reason.

4. ImperialPenguin

Oh I was certain 128 would be enough for the OS :confused:. Very well, I'll look into larger SSD drives. Thanks!

5. rollo

rollo Modder

cpu cooler and case are fine for the task at hand. you can pick any dvd writer at random they are all pretty much identical performance wise.

256gb ssd would be a minimum on such a budget. (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/240g...ernal-ssd-slim-7mm-500mb-s-read-250mb-s-write)

Theres also cheaper 780s than the one you have picked you could easily save £50 just by getting the same card just not pre overclocked as much. ( http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...hz-gddr5-gpu-889mhz-cores-2304-dport-dvi-hdmi)

Offers same performance better cooler costs alot less. Similar story with motherboard unless you must go micro atx you can get full atx boards for 20-30 less ( http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-(vga)-dvi-d-hdmi-atx)

try to buy everything from one place would save a fortune on delivery.

6. ImperialPenguin

Okay, awesome. I'll edit my build based on what you said. I have though of looking for a place to buy everything from. I am hoping to either get everything from scan, or maybe scan + 1 other company if need be.

Thanks for the advise, I really appreciate it!

7. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

That case looks like something you'd put a nuclear bomb in! :D

8. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

9. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

A 780 for 1080p seems like crazy overkill,

Why build a great gaming PC and squint at a tiny monitor?

Once you go with a higher resolution you'll wonder how you ever managed at 1080..

10. ImperialPenguin

OK I see. I will edit the build with the GPU you recommended. Then upgrade the SSD to 256gb. Thanks for the help, man!