1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Blizzard announce OVERWATCH

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Harlequin, 7 Nov 2014.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Last edited: 7 Nov 2014
  2. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Looks interesting! Though the same as the OP when I was watching the game play.

3. freshsandwiches

Looks like Blizzard will be taking a lot of peoples money in 2015.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Im reg'd for the beta :)

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Same here dout ill get in though. Blizzard betas are always difficult to get in.

7. AQNFX

AQNFX Twist The Grip, Let It Rip!

I actually think it will be really fun. It reminds me of a mix of TF2 and unreal tournament. I can't wait for the full game!!!

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It's interesting to me that when a company succeeds with a product beyond a certain extent, it's assumed to be a cynical moneygrabbing exercise (rather than an honestly good product with broader-than-normal appeal).

Besides, I don't think record sales are a safe bet yet. Blizzard's WoW playerbase are loyal just to that game rather than the company itself (unlike, say, Apple fans, whose affection transfers to new products and ideas easily) and actually have very little time for additional new games. So Overwatch's success will probably depend on how many TF2 players it can seduce away.

9. BlodadTand

BlodadTand What's a Dremel?

Not been keeping up to date with the Q&As but has there been any mention of the intended monetisation model yet? Got to wonder if they'll go the same way as HotS.

10. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I disagree many WoW players are loyal to Blizzard rather than just WoW.
    Just in my guild we have at least 3 Blizzard titles per player (230 players)
    Being a Mix of WoW, Starcraft, Diablo, Hearthstone, HotS.
    So loyalty to WoW isn't quite correct if you roll those results out over millions of players.
    We have to have somthing else to play while we wait for new content.

11. boiled_elephant

Man, that takes me back. I remember and I feel your pain, bro.

It's funny how, even after all these years, I still miss Warcraft. It's like a crazy, vindictive Ex who was really hot and great fun to be around. You know, crazy, and so bad for you - but still fun.

But...crazy, so you made the right choice in staying away.

But...also really hot...

*ahem* anyway, isn't the TF2-like market pretty much saturated? I don't play many of them now but it seems like there's a total flood of colourful online team-based PvP shooters. I wonder whether this one will have anything to help it stand out (the trailer just looks like TF2 with different models to me).

12. freshsandwiches

I didn't intend to come across as cynical. They're releasing a lot of fantastic looking games in the foreseeable future and deserve every success.

13. boiled_elephant

Nothing implied, it's just a common assumption that I used your comment to springboard into attacking ^^

There are some video game franchises (Call of Duty and Battlefield are the forerunners) that are openly cynical attempts to maximize profit by rehashing known points of appeal. Blizzard, for their successes, often get mistaken for such a company, despite being one of the most innovative and creatively independent forces in the market, with huge, unrestrained visual design and writing departments doing legitimately brave and interesting things.

In fact, I'd be interested to have a go with Overwatch, despite not finding TF2-like shooters interesting in themselves, just to observe all the little design touches and artistic flair that Blizzard games are always inevitably full of.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

SC2 was released 4 1/2 years ago ; its exp pak was released over 18 months ago and likely will be 2 1/2 when LoTV comes out (which will make SC2, 5 1/2).

in that time? there has been COD:

BO , MW3 , BO2, Ghosts and now Advanced warfare + all the paid for DLC (wasn't it 20 pieces for MW3?) associated with those 5

BF 3 was 2011 , with 5 exp paks (DLC) same with BF (2013) again with 5 exp paks.

cant say blizz move quickly - but when do they release bug filled shite with raging about it on day 1 (other than D3 server crushing from all the log ins - that's hardware though)

15. boiled_elephant

Well, unless you count all the hunters, druids and paladins crying that the new patch has broken their arena setups or nerfed their favourite ability :D But if we take that seriously as criticism, everything Blizzard have ever made or updated has been broken, so let's not.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Blizz games are so we'll play tested that bugs are not the issue. There hardware just can't cope with day 1 gaming as 4-5 million people spam a server. Look at WOW at the min with wod launch servers are broken due to numbers.

All major release memo or big online games suffer this sort of day 1 issue though.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so its numbers and not the rather large and ongoing DDOS that's not helping this time around thewn

18. rollo

rollo Modder

That's an excuse as they reduced server pop and the lag vanished.

19. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder