1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft disables Uplay over free game exploit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So i assume no one can play a Uplay game until they fix there problem.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Read further: it has only taken the ability to download a game away; you can still play your already-downloaded Uplay games (including those that were downloaded using the exploit, for now) without issue - unless you've heard differently? (I can't test it: there's no Uplay client for Linux.)

4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

" the outage will not affect other Ubisoft online services - just the download facility of Uplay"

5. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, that's what Ubisoft has told me - but I wondered if Corky42 knew something I didn't. Like I say, I can only take Ubisoft at its word: I have no Uplay installation to test out.

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

That Blood Dragon graphic is awesome!

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry didn't catch the part at the end that said...

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

uplay working fine here, playing anno 2070 as I type, :D

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Considering how Ubisoft sometimes does things, i am afraid to think what will happen with my games running on Uplay, not bought on Uplay ( bouught in retail or on Steam - like some of the Assasins Creed games, or Anno 2070 etc). :D

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Best listen out for that knock on the door :naughty:

11. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

That's my entire Uplay account. Anno 2070, far cry 3 and ac3, all bought from steam, all installed via Uplay. It's annoying games are distributed in such a way across many drm platforms.

12. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

never mind uPlay WTF have they done to far cry 3.....it looks nuts.

the Vaas character must have got into a few of the devs heads...."Did I ever tell you the definition...of Insanity?"

another quote from Vaas

"Take me into your heart. Accept me as your savior. Nail me to the f******* cross and let me be REBORN!"

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

That was quite a dramatic second paragraph there Gareth, I enjoyed it :p

14. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Free games and I missed out always the last to hear about these things.

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

"For a digital distribution service, which lives or dies by publisher confidence in the veracity of purchases and the strength of its digital rights management (DRM) implementation, that's hardly good news."

So this is BitTech saying that digital distribution requires DRM? Just getting that on record next time you scream murder at a form of DRM being present...

16. Gareth Halfacree

No, it isn't. You've made several unwarranted assumptions there, based on your own bias. First, and least: I am not Bit-Tech. Bit-Tech is not me. Bit-Tech is a site which publishes words written by as diverse a group of people as you are likely to find sharing a common interest. Amazingly, we don't always agree on a given subject. Shocking, I know. Anything I write should not be taken as "Bit-Tech saying" anything, but simply something I am saying on Bit-Tech. See the distinction.

More importantly, you have misinterpreted the statement in a way that conforms to your pre-existing view - confirmation bias. At no point in the article did I claim in any way that digital distribution requires DRM. Look at the Humble Bundle: digitally distributed games, no DRM. Clearly, it works.

What I said - and, indeed, what you quoted - is that a given digital distribution service lives or dies by, among other things, 'the strength of its digital rights management (DRM) implementation.' This is a fact: a digital distribution service with a weak DRM implementation will not have publishers banging on its door. This is not the same as saying that DRM is required - just that if it is present, it must be reliable. Amazon's Kindle platform is not the best example, but one that is easily accessible to the public: it has (trivially breakable) DRM, but the publisher can choose whether or not to use that DRM. It's as simple as a checkbox when you publish your book: "Use DRM." Tick the box, DRM gets used; don't tick the box, it doesn't.

The Humble Bundle gets used despite not having any DRM, by publishers (or indies, in most cases) who have decided they don't need or want DRM. Other services offer - or, in some cases, force - DRM, and are used by publishers who have decided they do want DRM.

Still confused? Let's simplify: imagine three digital distribution services. Let's call one Bumble Hundle, one PlayU and one Vapour. Bumble Hundle has no DRM, PlayU has DRM that has been proven ineffective, and Vapour has DRM that has so far resisted attack. If I'm a publisher who has decided that my latest and greatest game should be protected from those filthy piratical types by DRM, which am I going to pick: the one without DRM, the one with known-vulnerable DRM, or the one with apparently secure DRM?

Exactly.

As I said, digital distribution services live or die by the perceived security of their DRM implementations. What I didn't say, and what perhaps may have prevented you from misreading the sentence quite so badly, was this: digital distribution services live or die by the perceived security of their DRM implementations where such implementations exist. Does digital distribution require DRM? Of course it doesn't, as a glance at the Humble Bundle proves.

Hope that's cleared things up for you.

MadGinga likes this.
  17. Shirty

I can literally* hear those buckling springs pinging in indignation and outrage.

* (sorry)

18. Gareth Halfacree

Actually, I'm on my laptop right now. :p
    So you should be. Hyperbole? On *my* internet?

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I like to think of Gareth's articles as the literary equivalent of shouting "come at me bro". They all have some technically correct but easily misread line in them just for this.

He's probably off muttering about how none of us even lift right about now.

20. Shirty

I'm surprised you don't have the Model F plugged in to the laptop :D