1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft kills off legacy Internet Explorer installs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Nov 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So Microsoft is no longer going to fix security flaws in an internet browser that they packaged with, and is so tightly integrated that you can't avoid using the Trident layout engine, with an OS that's still supported for another four years.

Seems like a very dodgy move to me

3. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

REJOICE! Less problematic browsers to not support :D

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Doubt it's free for me. I maintain three win7 installs, none of which will register properly despite being, to the best of my knowledge, entirely legitimate and paid-for.

P

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

maybe - call MS and talk to them??

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Oh ho ho ho ho ho.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

usually calling up a company when you have purchased something legitimately and have problems is the way forward....

9. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

my windows 7 product key has been disabled for activation because I reinstalled windows so often. So I couldn't get my free upgrade to win 10. I called Microsoft and they said I activated it over 20 times. I did buy it when win 7 first came out and even had the receipt still but they just told me I had to buy a new key.

10. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

Windows 10 is bugged as hell and still in pre-beta stage. Feel free to be the unpaid lab rat for Microsoft if you have free time to waste - many of us don't. We just want the support we were SUPPOSED TO RECEIVE for another FOUR YEARS for a product we PAID FOR.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

windows 10 is actually very smooth and stable many many people happily agree its a far better product than windows 8 ever was. the millions that have already taken advantage of the free upgrade would agree with this.

if you are that upset , why not use Linux.

btw , this isn't news - MS announced this august 2014!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/07/stay-up-to-date-with-internet-explorer.aspx

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Have you actually tried Windows 10? I have been using it since mid August and it is running very nicely and stable as a tripod. I did have some have some issues with graphics in Skyrim and graphics corruption after recovery from sleep, early on but, that was fixed by driver updates from Nvidia. Otherwise W10 is running smoothly and trouble free.

As for Internet Explorer, why would you not want to use a faster and more secure version, rather than keep using an older version? Better still use Chrome or Opera.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Being better than Windows 8 was never going to be very difficult though was it. ;)
    Also how many of those millions upgraded willingly?

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

IE 8 is nearly 7 years old now .....

15. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

It is possible to have IE11 on Win7, so not seeing what the issue is in that regard?

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Indeed and no one said it wasn't, what has been said though is that to stop supporting part of an OS seems a bit dodgy, a bad move, call it what you will.

I could be wrong but isn't using mature software going to reduced your risk to undiscovered security vulnerabilities, they get found and patched over time versus newer software that still has plenty of as yet undiscovered ones.

Although newer software maybe inherently more secure so it could be swings and roundabouts, IDK.

17. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I think Windows 10 is great, it works well even on modest spec machines. Every upgrade I have done bar 1 was a breeze, the one that went wonky was due to no chipset drivers available, which I managed to sort out anyway.

The only thing that has irritated me with w10 was the appearance of the "suggestions" read ads, in the start menu.

I think killing off old legacy browsers is a good choice. Nobody wants another xp ie 7 iirc? Debacle that just won't die.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And if people could uninstall the old legacy browsers i would agree, but they can't.

Microsoft is basically going to provide support for an operating system for another 4 years but not the browser that they integrated into that OS, a browser that was foisted on them, that they can't choose not to use, that they are being forced into upgrading even though they don't want it.

If Microsoft didn't want to be in a situation of having to support legacy browsers then they shouldn't have packaged it with something that was going to be supported.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/what-is-the-browser-choice-update

6 weeks after win7 was launched the EU ruled they had to give a browser choice on install

edit:

also MS would argue that Win 7 without SP1 support ended in 2013 , and with SP1 you then had to make the choice (EU ruling) of which browser to use at SP1 install.

so if your using an u patched Win7 install its already out of support , and with SP1 you made the choice to either use IE9 or another browser, putting the onus on updating it to you.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2015
  20. preservedmoose

preservedmoose What's a Dremel?

What are "installs"? Installations perhaps? :)