bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 27th May 2016, 11:43   #241
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
When I added myself to the Sudoers list on CentOS did I not make myself a super user?
No; you gave yourself the ability to use sudo. Your account is still at whatever privilege level it was before you added yourself to the sudoers list - which is why you need to use 'sudo' when you need higher privileges.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 18:13   #242
deathtaker27
Probook Addict

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Think of sudo as right click run as admin in Windows

You have made yourself an admin but that doesn't make everything magically start as an admin
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 23:41   #243
Pliqu3011
The cake is an alternative fact

Pliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Seeing as the must-have Linux software thread has been dead for over 10 years, I'll just post this here...

For any Linux users who want to experiment a bit I highly recommend giving the i3 window manager a try. It's a tiling window manager, which means you don't have floating windows (by default) but they are automatically arranged to fit the full screen.
At first it looks more complicated than it is, but after using it for a bit over a month and configuring it for my needs it feels very comfortable, and switching back to Cinnamon or using Windows 7 feels sluggish now.
- It's very quick in operation once you get the hang of it
- Minimalistic look by default
- Very (easily!) customizable
- Very space-efficient (important for the relatively small screen of my Thinkpad X220T)
- Ultra light-weight, barely puts a dent in the battery life (unlike Cinnamon...).

It's very basic though, just the bare necessities.
You don't even get a task bar with a 'programs' menu or anything (though I guess you could just start up the task bar of another WM if you want to create an unholy mix of the two... ), so you have to start programs with the command line through the built in launcher. Just [win]+D fire [enter], and firefox is running.
Any special keys you'll have to bind yourself, including volume buttons but also the power button! I have mine set up to display a small dialog with the standard sleep/shutdown/logout/etc. some guy made (can link to it should anyone be interested).

So if you don't mind using keyboard shortcuts (the few essential combinations are intuitive and easy to memorize) and taking a few hours to fully configure it to your liking I highly recommend it.

Here's a youtube video with a short, basic demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4
Old 31st May 2016, 00:48   #244
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I've been meaning to give I3 a go since I first heard about it. I'll get around to it eventually.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2016, 21:41   #245
rainbowbridge
Banned

rainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
some things I like so far are control alt F2, F3 this switches to terminals (full black screen terminal view) which are separate.

Linux community saying the Windows key is called "the super key, some times known as windows key".

Last edited by rainbowbridge; 5th Jun 2016 at 01:29.
rainbowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2016, 23:49   #246
nimbu
I *am* a Dremel

nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.nimbu is definitely a rep cheat.
I revisit ubuntu every few years and then go back to windows. As a gamer it's not quite there just yet. That and I hate unity!

However I spent a few hours over the weekend setting a headless debian download box. Got my nas drives mapped and am now able to use the latest version of nzbget etc. It was fun messing about in a cli once again, .

It takes a little paitence and my advice to anyone is get a free hypervisor like vmware player / virtual box and have a play, it's tremendously satisfying when you get something working.
Old 6th Jun 2016, 11:59   #247
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming Saiyan
My netbook's windows partition failed on me last September (just as I needed it to set up stuff for a demonstration, doh) so I ended up just throwing Debian on it as finding and burning a Vista 32bit repair disk was just going to be a PITA. It wasn't too bad getting into things as I'd been mucking around a bit with the Pi a bit.

Now I use CentOS at work and have Ubuntu as a HTPC/NAS box (would have gone for OSMC/OpenELEC but I've had pain with those in the past, and everything just works on Ubuntu).

Biggest gripe is that GNOME is crap, and that default settings managers for all distros feel a little sparse.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 10:13   #248
paapicholoo
What's a Dremel?

paapicholoo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Really informative thread
paapicholoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
*nix, gnu, linux, open source