bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 9th Dec 2016, 04:52   #21
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
I agree the menu bar thing is stupid, but I got used to it. It is also possible to remove that behaviour and change it to a per window menu using the unity-tweak-tool in the repository.
Yes, I know, but I've reached the point where I just want stuff to work, rather than spending hours tweaking it. The days I used to spend post-clean-install tweaking dozens of settings have gone (even for Windows, although with Windows the post-install ritual was more surrounding drivers). Largely, I admit, because I spend more and more time in the commandline, so as long as that is how I like it, I'm sorted.

Basically, the more I have to worry about the OS, the less time I spend working.

Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 9th Dec 2016 at 04:53. Reason: Added comment.
Paradigm Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2016, 07:57   #22
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

edit: On OpenSUSE not supporting AMD graphics any more... well, what can I say? The last time I used SuSE, I was running a FireGL 8800. That, if nothing else, is telling for my opinions of SuSE. (I use CentOS when I have to, but generally I'm not a big fan of RPM based distros. )
I never said they're not supporting AMD at all, I said they're not supporting the binary blob driver. Open source AMD drivers are still welcome.
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2016, 08:14   #23
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Paradigm Shifter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
I never said they're not supporting AMD at all, I said they're not supporting the binary blob driver. Open source AMD drivers are still welcome.
So no openCL?

edit: As I said, I've not used SuSE for a long time - probably over a decade now, and the last AMD/ATi card I had was a 4870X2 (although I have got a 6970 I tested out for a while which I got as a hand-me-down...) sadly, CUDA has become a deciding factor in my GPU purchases.

Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 9th Dec 2016 at 08:16. Reason: Further thoughts
Paradigm Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2017, 22:48   #24
sullivan4234
What's a Dremel?

sullivan4234 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Linux Mint
sullivan4234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2017, 15:11   #25
killingit
Minimodder

killingit has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think it basically boils down to your use-case. I like Ubuntu, though.
killingit is offline   Reply With Quote