bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 1st Sep 2007, 01:21   #81
Modder

... has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but in addition to getting live cd distros to test drive/play around with the OS, you can alternatively get VMWare player here, and download the OS/config of your choice here.

It is basically, as i understand it, an OS running within an OS, with minimal overheads, and you can run it as you would a proper install (as opposed to limited function in live cd)

I havent tried it, but i plan to do this when i delve into linux at some point, as it saves reformatting/reinstalling/dual booting again and again,. Gives you a dry run of the install on your pc, without any driver or other incompatibility issues.

If you want full control, you can purchase VMWare workstation, which allows you to install/configure an OS instead of downloading it.

Hope this helps in your foray into the world of linux
... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2007, 09:26   #82
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Or you can just get VMware Server, register for a key and do it all yourself with minimal overhead...
Old 1st Sep 2007, 18:14   #83
Blind was Mingson
What's a Dremel?

Blind was Mingson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
yeah but no real use for it
You're kidding, right? You might as well say you couldn't use 4 monitors.

PS yall needs to chill.
Blind was Mingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2007, 18:49   #84
Techno-Dann
Disgruntled kumquat

Techno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Okay, here's another problem... I, being me, bought a Radeon HD 2900 XT. I'm running Mint (Ubuntu Feisty with codecs and such preinstalled), and trying to get fglrx to work. I've followed this guide as well as using envy, and both times, when I reboot X, I get a "fatal error: No screens found" error. Everything else appears to work without error messages, but X simply won't start. I go back and set xorg.conf to the older version, and it works fine.

I don't really care about OpenGL or Beryl performance, I just want to run my monitors at their native 1680x1050, and run both of them. Is there something in a config file I'm not changing, or do the drivers just not work for the 2900 yet?
Techno-Dann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2007, 20:51   #85
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind was Mingson View Post
You're kidding, right? You might as well say you couldn't use 4 monitors.

PS yall needs to chill.
no im not kidding - is there a real need for "fancy" 3d effects, absolutely not. As it has been stated before Linux is about choice and freedom, fell free to make yours. TBH i dont think i need to chill i merely stated my opinion as has many others on these fourms before

i5-4670 | Asrock Q87M vPro | Corsair DDR3 16GB | 2x Intel 530 180GB | 9TB of misc spining disks | ATI 7870 | Corsiar something case | Dual boot ArchLinux and Windows 7 (aka game launcher)
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2007, 21:22   #86
Fophillips
Hypermodder

Fophillips has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
no im not kidding - is there a real need for "fancy" 3d effects, absolutely not. As it has been stated before Linux is about choice and freedom, fell free to make yours. TBH i dont think i need to chill i merely stated my opinion as has many others on these fourms before
I totally agree. Someone told me my fluxbox theme was "boring" today, so much they have to learn...
Fophillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2007, 21:49   #87
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fophillips View Post
I totally agree. Someone told me my fluxbox theme was "boring" today, so much they have to learn...

i hope you slapped em hard

i5-4670 | Asrock Q87M vPro | Corsair DDR3 16GB | 2x Intel 530 180GB | 9TB of misc spining disks | ATI 7870 | Corsiar something case | Dual boot ArchLinux and Windows 7 (aka game launcher)
Old 1st Sep 2007, 21:52   #88
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:

I usually impress them how fast, lightweight and functional my fluxbox is
Old 1st Sep 2007, 22:27   #89
Woodstock
So Say We All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
I usually impress them how fast, lightweight and functional my fluxbox is
yeah i guess that would work to

Old 1st Sep 2007, 23:58   #90
Fophillips
Hypermodder

Fophillips has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

A bit difficult over IRC
Fophillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 01:11   #91
Liquor Mortis
What's a Dremel?

Liquor Mortis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno-Dann View Post
bought a Radeon HD 2900 XT
There are no drivers for the 2X00 series cards yet, one is promised "before the end of the year", see articles here.

Edit: Make that this coming week, same link.

Last edited by Liquor Mortis; 5th Sep 2007 at 07:09. Reason: New Drivers Out
Liquor Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 04:43   #92
Woodstock
So Say We All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fophillips View Post
A bit difficult over IRC
no excuse man no excuse

Old 10th Sep 2007, 19:02   #93
D3s3rt_F0x
Hypermodder

D3s3rt_F0x has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great thread book marked for future reference when I can be bothered and have the time to get stuck into linux properly
D3s3rt_F0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2007, 20:31   #94
Woodstock
So Say We All

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3s3rt_F0x View Post
Great thread book marked for future reference when I can be bothered and have the time to get stuck into linux properly
highly reccommened you do... soon/now

Old 10th Sep 2007, 20:36   #95
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
highly reccommened you do... soon/now
He needs to buy a laptop first

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2007, 21:03   #96
Woodstock
So Say We All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey View Post
He needs to buy a laptop first
ill acept that answer

Old 12th Sep 2007, 11:00   #97
Muaz
What's a Dremel?

Muaz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the information of the viewers , however I would like some specific information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
Muaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2007, 11:29   #98
Glider
/dev/null

YGPM
Old 13th Sep 2007, 23:17   #99
Faulk_Wulf
Internet Addict

Faulk_Wulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was happy to stumble across this as I enjoyed all the articles on the main site quite thoroughly. With it I've tested my first server. Planning on writing some more in the coming months?

Love the work.

("YGPM" ?)
Faulk_Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2007, 08:50   #100
Glider
/dev/null

If Brett asks me to do an other article, I'd be glad to do so. If you have an idea what to write it about, I'm open to suggestions.

YGPM = You got a private message

Tags
*nix, gnu, linux, open source