bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 28th Sep 2007, 08:02   #121
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Wireshark is a usefull tool, so is netstat and ps/top/htop...

Gentoo offers some great pointers to security: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/security/

A minimalistic design, as bare as possible, up to date system is often good enough.
Old 1st Dec 2007, 05:44   #122
gillett
Minimodder

gillett has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice guide!!!
gillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Dec 2007, 07:04   #123
bassboi72
My dremel is broken.

bassboi72 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was playing with a terminal, and did lspci -v, and it gave me this:

02:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys Gigabit Network Adapter (rev 10)
Subsystem: Linksys EG1032 v3 Instant Gigabit Network Adapter
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 20
I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
Memory at feaff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Expansion ROM at f4700000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

and I noticed, 66MHz... is that the pci buss running at 66mhz?
Construction: [----|------]
Gettin' there.
bassboi72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Dec 2007, 10:55   #124
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Indeed it is
Old 28th Dec 2007, 16:40   #125
bassboi72
My dremel is broken.

Damn glider, quick response eh?

Thanks btw, its appreciated
Gettin' there.
Old 28th Dec 2007, 18:39   #126
bassboi72
My dremel is broken.

Ok, we have another problem.

I have a Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A with all the media keys on top of the keyboard for doing things such as raising and lowering the volume, play/pause, stop, next, previous, and various other keys.

Now, I installed the KeyTouch package to get them working, but the volume keys do not control the volume, at all.

I'm lost.

It may also be because I do have onboard sound, as well as a sound card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Gettin' there.
Old 28th Dec 2007, 18:47   #127
Glider
/dev/null

Does your sound work?

You might need to unmute it... I'm taking a guess you're using ALSA, so open a terminal, and type "alsamixer"

Unmute at least Master and PCM and raise the volume untill half.

Now, for your keys. I use Xmodmap to map the keys to usable functions, but as allways the Gentoo manual/wiki can explain it a lot better: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_Multimedia_Keys
Old 28th Dec 2007, 19:03   #128
bassboi72
My dremel is broken.

Well, the sound does work, via the onboard audio... I can control the sound using Xmms, but that's it.

even using alsamixer in the terminal, messing with the volume doesn't work...

:|
Gettin' there.
Old 28th Dec 2007, 19:11   #129
Glider
/dev/null

Try:

Code:
alsamixer -c 1
to control card 1 (0,1,2,...)
Old 8th Jan 2008, 18:50   #130
jukk
What's a Dremel?

jukk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Btw, nice article, but FreeNAS is based on another Unix flavor, FreeBSD. Not Linux.
jukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 19:01   #131
Glider
/dev/null

Like I said in the beginning of the thread, and somewhere halfway, the objective is to show what OSS software can do. The idea of this thread was to get a general impression. Which reminds me, I should update/add some stuff if I find the time...

Most people confuse OSS and Linux. Linux is the kernel, nothing more, nothing less... There's no need to confuse people even more... Like Ubuntu uses metacity and not Gnome...
Old 8th Jan 2008, 20:08   #132
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Speaking of the Linux family tree:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyinsar View Post
Updated Linux timeline (should really be called a family tree) can be found on this page (Look for download link)
I just had a look at that again - it's been a while. The number of offshoots from Knoppix surprised me - though I guess it shouldn't because it practically pioneered the "Live-CD" concept.
Old 15th Apr 2008, 16:32   #133
Paolo
Multimodder

Paolo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Small question - is there a Live CD for a distro kicking around I could grab which has a recent (working) build of Beryl/Compiz included with, or the latest for shiny desktop effects?

I'm a sucker for shiny things
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2008, 16:53   #134
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ubuntu should have them and should allow you to install the proprietary driver fairly easily (you'll probably need it). There is another which made a thing of using beryl but i forget its name.

ninja edit: http://www.sabayonlinux.org/ Nope not the one
Old 16th Apr 2008, 00:57   #135
Elv13
Multimodder

Elv13 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Knoppix ("ancient" linux distro, but still exist)
Sabayon (gentoo based, but the DVD version include a lot of cool apps and effect)
Ubuntu (the live version dosent display effect on other card than intel and old ati (x400 and older))
Mepis (old live cd too, but newer version come with effect)

But always, the best things is to install it, so you can update compiz, even do (or ask me to do for you) a small script to update compiz every night.
Elv13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2008, 05:42   #136
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
Small question - is there a Live CD for a distro kicking around I could grab which has a recent (working) build of Beryl/Compiz included with, or the latest for shiny desktop effects?

I'm a sucker for shiny things
Not too long ago I played with Beryl on either Mepis or PCLinuxOS - I don't remember which and don't have either currently installed. Check out those two.
Old 17th Apr 2008, 08:48   #137
Paolo
Multimodder

Paolo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cheers for the pointers guys - checked out PCLinuxOS OS last night. Starting up Beryl killed the window manager on my PC, however it only killed the window controls (title bar, max/min buttons) on my MacBook - result!

Was interesting to have a play with though, I like checking in on progress every once in a while - especially for media/shiny thing specific apps like Elisa and LaunchPad getting some airtime in new distros
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 21:33   #138
teamtd11
*Custom User Title*

teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.
Where is the Opera love?
Old 17th May 2008, 21:41   #139
Fophillips
Hypermodder

Fophillips has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtd11 View Post
Where is the Opera love?
In the non-free bin.
Fophillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 22:06   #140
teamtd11
*Custom User Title*

teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fophillips View Post
In the non-free bin.
how is it non-free?

Tags
*nix, gnu, linux, open source