Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 17th May 2008, 22:08   #141
Fophillips
Hypermodder

Fophillips has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtd11 View Post
how is it non-free?
The only way it can be, by not being free.
Fophillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 22:13   #142
teamtd11
*Custom User Title*

teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.teamtd11 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fophillips View Post
The only way it can be, by not being free.
http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?platform=linux

But it is free. it has been for years
Old 17th May 2008, 22:15   #143
Fophillips
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtd11 View Post
http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?platform=linux

But it is free. it has been for years
I think you are misunderstanding free.
Old 18th May 2008, 06:01   #144
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
Cheers for the pointers guys - checked out PCLinuxOS OS last night. Starting up Beryl killed the window manager on my PC, however it only killed the window controls (title bar, max/min buttons) on my MacBook - result!
Losing the window controls is a sure sign of not having a theme for Compiz/Beryl installed.

Look for "emerald" in your repository. It's the window decorator for Compiz Fusion.
Then find yourself a theme you like at Gnome-Look or KDE-Look.
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 10:21   #145
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
just had a look at that unixtoolbox you mentioned, and i have to say its a great lil resource, but i gave a mate the link to the guide as hes a bit cuirious about linux (maybe i played a part there) and he said the screenshot links you have placed no longer have the images stored on the server

i5-4670 | Asrock Q87M vPro | Corsair DDR3 16GB | 2x Intel 530 180GB | 9TB of misc spining disks | ATI 7870 | Corsiar something case | Dual boot ArchLinux and Windows 7 (aka game launcher)
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 10:30   #146
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Well, the server glitched last saturday, which made it unavailable. It's fixed already and the images are showing to me tough.
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 15:26   #147
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've had people say to me (and me myself) that they miss Winamp, whereas I was looking for a very lightweight media player, but audacious doesn't have a library.

So I found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=680736 which is for Ubuntu but can be easily transferred to other distros.

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 17:11   #148
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I did miss winAMP for quite some time but I could never like Audacious as it has some of the weirdest bugs (playlist window 'running away' from the mouse pointer, etc) in the end I've found happiness with a slightly tweaked version of Consonance. It was built by a guy in the Archlinux community and very light and built with gtk+ so it's perfect for light DE's, only change I made was to add audioscrobbler support (still buggy but I've only been playing with it for a couple of days).

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 17:17   #149
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Mostly I play media from my FS, through VLC with the ncurses (terminal) interface... That or AmaroK.
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 21:24   #150
Fophillips
Hypermodder

I did use moc but I found it to be a little lacking in features, now I use AmaroK and couldn’t be happier
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 23:13   #151
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i normally use amarok but im giving decibel a try, if i can get it to run

i5-4670 | Asrock Q87M vPro | Corsair DDR3 16GB | 2x Intel 530 180GB | 9TB of misc spining disks | ATI 7870 | Corsiar something case | Dual boot ArchLinux and Windows 7 (aka game launcher)
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 06:19   #152
AJB2K3
I *am* a Dremel

AJB2K3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I use amarok but if winamp is you thing try xmms, it supposed to use winamps skins.

AJB2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2008, 20:14   #153
Glider
/dev/null

Added some tags, and a couple of updates... I should really do a big one...

Damn you job!
Old 16th Nov 2008, 06:22   #154
Rocket733
Austerity - It's the only way

Rocket733 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just got ubuntu up and running (wanted to use my wireless apple keyboard without issues) and found this guide for installing from a usb drive to be particularly handy.
Rocket733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2008, 04:18   #155
Rum&Coke
Supermodder

Rum&Coke has yet to learn the way of the DremelRum&Coke has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just installed ubuntu to give it a whirl, I tried Debian years back but lack of internet connection kind of hampered the whole process. Everything seems to be running pretty smoothly but I've got a problem with getting sound from youtube videos. Im assuming its the flash plugin, i've tried a couple different fixes but nothings worked, or atleast nothing that I understand yet. Im working off Firefox 3.0, a couple things have suggested editing firefoxrc but I honestly can't find it anywhere. Any tips?

edit: Fixed! killall pulseaudio . Is there any reason to not remove pulse audio?

Last edited by Rum&Coke; 14th Dec 2008 at 04:55. Reason: Fixed!
Rum&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2008, 08:12   #156
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Because the dependancy tree is locked with it. They really need to kill off pulseaudio, even the guy who makes it says it's not ready yet

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2008, 14:07   #157
Rum&Coke
Supermodder

Rum&Coke has yet to learn the way of the DremelRum&Coke has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Im trying to get multiple audio streams working, I installed esound but no options in the sound config?

edit:Fixed again but in a kind of round about way. using different audio packages for browser and music player. Got EsounD appearing in sound preference but wouldn't work.

Last edited by Rum&Coke; 14th Dec 2008 at 17:15.
Rum&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2008, 15:32   #158
Aterius Gmork
smell the ashes

Aterius Gmork is definitely a rep cheat.Aterius Gmork is definitely a rep cheat.Aterius Gmork is definitely a rep cheat.Aterius Gmork is definitely a rep cheat.Aterius Gmork is definitely a rep cheat.Aterius Gmork is definitely a rep cheat.Aterius Gmork is definitely a rep cheat.Aterius Gmork is definitely a rep cheat.Aterius Gmork is definitely a rep cheat.Aterius Gmork is definitely a rep cheat.Aterius Gmork is definitely a rep cheat.
Even though it is not Linux only I really believe XBMC should be on this list. It is the best Media Center software I have used up to now. Simple, easy to use and yet extremely powerful, plus it looks good. And it works on Linux, right.
Aterius Gmork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 10:44   #159
Cjshuck
Minimodder

Cjshuck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So what things would I not be able to have if I decided to get Linux?
Cjshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 10:45   #160
Cjshuck
Minimodder

Cjshuck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As in what things on Windows would no longer be available. (Sorry I didn't explain it very well)
Cjshuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
*nix, gnu, linux, open source