bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 8th Apr 2009, 16:41   #181
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Roffle, love that one.
Old 13th Apr 2009, 08:56   #182
RTT
#parp

RTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriquendi View Post
They are big, it's identical to the R1200RT but with a smaller bore, probably looks more intimidating because of the fairing.
Spot on

Quote:
Chains need adjusting every 500 miles too but they also fling sticky, oily crud everywhere, it's just something I'd rather do without. The only maintenance I have to do with my shaft drive is change the oil every 12,000 miles.

Moriquendi
I'll be fitting a hugger as I'm fairly certain I'll end up with a chain driven bike. Should help a bit with the crud that gets flung off the chain.

My license dropped through the door yesterday, so now I can actually go and get some demo rides at long bloody last (everywhere requires a photocopy of the license & counterpart)

I've seen a mint condition CBR600F locally, exactly one of these:

Same colour scheme/design, completely unmodified, 2006, 2.2k miles, warranty remaining, absolutely immaculate. I reckon it's been garaged all its life and only ever ridden in fair weather. Sporty but not race focused (unlike R6's, Gixxers etc), so good for weekend fun and comfy enough for a small to medium commute. Could be the one!

Last edited by RTT; 13th Apr 2009 at 09:04.
RTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2009, 17:44   #183
Orca
Ultramodder

Orca has yet to learn the way of the DremelOrca has yet to learn the way of the DremelOrca has yet to learn the way of the DremelOrca has yet to learn the way of the DremelOrca has yet to learn the way of the DremelOrca has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Right, I'm a complete bike noob so please bear with me.

I'm thinking of getting a scooter or some kind of 125cc bike and using it for my daily commute into town since they are exempt from the congestion charge. I found a place near me that offers the bike training, but I was wondering should I just get the CBT or go for the DAS so that I don't have to do it later? Or is it generally more advisable to have the CBT, ride for a few years and then move to the unrestricted license (I'm over 21 btw)?

Next, the bike itself. Having no idea about bikes, what an earth would you recommend? Something cheap obviously, good MPG and low insurance as well. The only bike I know is the Honda CBR125R which I've read is praised for being pretty bullet proof. But cost-wise, is it realistic as a starter bike?

Sorry for the long post, but any help is much appreciated. Cheers
Old 13th Apr 2009, 17:47   #184
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
RTT: Sounds like you're falling in love. Give it a go!
Old 13th Apr 2009, 18:09   #185
RTT
#parp

RTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juppun View Post
should I just get the CBT or go for the DAS so that I don't have to do it later? Or is it generally more advisable to have the CBT, ride for a few years and then move to the unrestricted license (I'm over 21 btw)?
Well look at the following. You might already know it, but:

With a CBT
You may ride a moped or motorbike up to 125cc (and no more than 11BHP or something?)
You must display L plates
Crucially, you must re-take the CBT after two years
You must not carry any pillions
You must not use motorways
There's no need to do the theory test to do a CBT course

With anything beyond CBT
You'll need to do a motorcycle theory test
You may ride any bike you like (unless you do an A2 license)
You don't have to display L plates
You can carry a pillion
You can use motorways

So it's up to you! If you're only riding into town on 30-40-50 roads, a CBT might be absolutely fine for you. If you've got aspirations for weekend fun, bigger bikes, longer journeys or all three, you will definitely want to consider doing something beyond the CBT to allow you to climb aboard a bigger bike.

As for riding around on a CBT for a few years then moving on - some people do this, others don't. Some people will tell you doing it is a good idea, some will say it doesn't matter. You can make your own mind up

What's beyond?
DAS (unrestricted license) - usually a week long course (can include CBT if you've not already done it) where by you come out at the end with a full unrestricted bike license.

A2 license - same test as a DAS but you do it on a 125 instead of a ~500. You will gain a "restricted" license, which allows you to ride any bike, but it must be no more than 33BHP. A lot of people buy 600cc machines and then restrict them down to 33bhp. After two years the license automatically becomes unrestricted and you can ride anything you fancy with any power output!

A1 license - same test (I think) as a DAS/A2 but you can only ride up to a 125. You might be thinking "well what's the point, you can ride up to a 125 on a CBT!?". The difference is you don't need to display L plates, it doesn't ever expire and you can use motorways. I think you can do pillions too?
I personally see no value in an A1 license at all. Waste of time IMO. Who the hell would even entertain the idea of riding a 125 on the motorway?!

Quote:
Next, the bike itself. Having no idea about bikes, what an earth would you recommend? Something cheap obviously, good MPG and low insurance as well. The only bike I know is the Honda CBR125R which I've read is praised for being pretty bullet proof. But cost-wise, is it realistic as a starter bike?
Sure you don't mean the CG125? Anyway if you did mean the CBR125R, it's a great little bike, as is the CG. Both are absolutely realistic as starter bikes There are alternatives too, like the Yamaha YBR125. All 125s are much of a muchness except the Aprillia 125

The decision logic is pretty straight forward:

1) do you want more than a 125?
Yes: Go to 3
No: Go to 2

2) do a CBT and ride a 125. (end here)

3) do you care about being restricted to 33BHP?
Yes: go to 5
No: go to 4

4) Do an A2 license and ride around on 33 horses for two years (end here)

5) Do a DAS course, ride anything you fancy (end here)

Oh, you might also want to know:

A CBT generally takes between 1 and 2 days and costs 130 ish.

A DAS course usually takes 4-5 days and will cost somewhere in the region of 500-600-700

An A2 course usually lasts three days and costs 250-300-400

Last edited by RTT; 13th Apr 2009 at 18:45.
RTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2009, 18:45   #186
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTT View Post
Spot on

I'll be fitting a hugger as I'm fairly certain I'll end up with a chain driven bike. Should help a bit with the crud that gets flung off the chain.

My license dropped through the door yesterday, so now I can actually go and get some demo rides at long bloody last (everywhere requires a photocopy of the license & counterpart)

I've seen a mint condition CBR600F locally, exactly one of these:

Same colour scheme/design, completely unmodified, 2006, 2.2k miles, warranty remaining, absolutely immaculate. I reckon it's been garaged all its life and only ever ridden in fair weather. Sporty but not race focused (unlike R6's, Gixxers etc), so good for weekend fun and comfy enough for a small to medium commute. Could be the one!
There is nothing bad that can be said about the CBR 600F, it's a great all-round bike. Maybe a little anodyne compared to a thumping v-twin, but also far smoother on longer journeys. If you ride alot in inner city traffic, the more inclined handlebars might be less comfortable than the KTMs'
Don't forget the crash protectors

Last edited by Turbotab; 13th Apr 2009 at 20:03.
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2009, 19:26   #187
RTT
#parp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbotab View Post
There is nothing bad that can be said about the CBR 600F, it's a great all-round bike. Maybe a little anodyne compared to a thumping v-twin, but also far smoother on longer journeys. If you ride alot in inner city traffic, the more inclined handlebars might be less comfortable than the KTMs'
Don't forget the crash protectors!
Forgot to say, it has crash bungs on it Barely any town/city work for me.

Still testing a KTM though. Had to delay it a week due to the DVLA being slow on turning my license around. Can't wait, a big twin is going to be grin-tastic
Old 13th Apr 2009, 20:03   #188
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Just got back from the British Superbikes down in Kent. We actually got guess passes to Honda Hydrex/SMR as my uncle's company is sponsoring them.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2009, 21:38   #189
Orca
Ultramodder

Orca has yet to learn the way of the DremelOrca has yet to learn the way of the DremelOrca has yet to learn the way of the DremelOrca has yet to learn the way of the DremelOrca has yet to learn the way of the DremelOrca has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
snip
Thanks RTT. I think I'll just go for the CBT route for now as riding superbikes aren't my priority at the moment!

I understand that you need a provisional motorcycle license before taking a CBT. I have a full driving license... is that enough? On that back it only says Cat B though so I'm not quite sure...
Old 13th Apr 2009, 21:46   #190
RTT
#parp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juppun View Post
. I have a full driving license... is that enough? On that back it only says Cat B though so I'm not quite sure...
Yep thats all you need Let us know how you get on
Old 13th Apr 2009, 21:59   #191
Moriquendi
Bit Tech Biker

Moriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

Looks nice, what's the insurance like on something like that?

When I'd settled on an R850R I rang up the local BMW motorbikes place and asked the guy in the service department what I should particularly check for on a used bike. Once I'd suggested that I would need to be having it serviced somewhere (subtle hint...) he was very helpful, gave me a whole list of things to look for specifically and offered to store it and check it over for a very reasonable fee. If you're buying privately it might be worth giving a Honda dealer a ring and trying the same ploy. If it's a dealer though they will have checked everything already.

I've just come back from Cornwall, rode the Atlantic highway there and back, absolutely friggin' fabulous, particularly the bit over Exmoor between Minehead and Barnstable

Moriquendi
Moriquendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 10:44   #192
RTT
#parp

Quote:
Looks nice, what's the insurance like on something like that?
~1000 FC, half that for TPFT. Expensive but then again consider I'm under 25, it won't be garaged, new rider, no NCB...

Quote:
When I'd settled on an R850R I rang up the local BMW motorbikes place and asked the guy in the service department what I should particularly check for on a used bike. Once I'd suggested that I would need to be having it serviced somewhere (subtle hint...) he was very helpful, gave me a whole list of things to look for specifically and offered to store it and check it over for a very reasonable fee. If you're buying privately it might be worth giving a Honda dealer a ring and trying the same ploy. If it's a dealer though they will have checked everything already.
Tis at a Honda dealer. Good to know they'll have checked it!

Quote:
I've just come back from Cornwall, rode the Atlantic highway there and back, absolutely friggin' fabulous, particularly the bit over Exmoor between Minehead and Barnstable

Moriquendi
Old 14th Apr 2009, 11:42   #193
Moriquendi
Bit Tech Biker

Moriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
~1000 FC, half that for TPFT. Expensive but then again consider I'm under 25, it won't be garaged, new rider, no NCB...
Ouch! I'm in the same boat though, FC for mine was in the 700 region same situation, under 25 male rider, no garage and no NCB. Hopefully it'll drop drastically next year when I turn 25. BTW, I got my quote from bikesure.co.uk and it was (IIRC) 200 less than the next best quote, might be worth a try. I also got a 25 discount for using one of these, the one with a Squire SS65CS lock, expensive but it'll pay for itself in six years and if you watch the videos you can see it's a pretty serious chain.

Moriquendi
Old 15th Apr 2009, 13:54   #194
RTT
#parp

Yep, know about the Almax stuff! I won't consider using anything else having watched the videos. I've got a big ass metal fence I can chain the bike to, but will also use a cover and a few other deterrents. Obviously if someone wants it they'll get it, but hopefully that'll be enough to put most people off. There are a few other really sweet bikes in the car park which haven't gone missing (yet), so that gives me hope.

Which sort of leads me onto my next question - what's the deal with "overnight storage"? My bike won't be stored on the road, but it won't be in a garage or on a driveway either, it'll be in our flat's car park. Does that count as "road"? I hope not, but I've been getting quotes specifying road storage for worst case (price) scenario...
Old 15th Apr 2009, 13:58   #195
Krikkit
Super Moderator

It might be different for bike insurance, but sometimes you do find "secure car park" as an option for location. Otherwise I think you'll just have to put road down...

If someone really wants it, they'll always manage to take it tbh, even with the best security chains and stuff. You've just got to hope that they're serious enough to put off those who aren't so determined.
Old 15th Apr 2009, 14:21   #196
RTT
#parp

It aint secure though, technically No gates or guards, but well concealed, which probably counts for nothing. Bugger.
Old 15th Apr 2009, 14:37   #197
Shuriken
same christmas AV for a whole year

Shuriken has yet to learn the way of the DremelShuriken has yet to learn the way of the DremelShuriken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Usually there's an option of off-road parking, if not I would have thought a private car park could be considered a drive way?
Shuriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2009, 14:51   #198
Turbotab

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuriken View Post
Usually there's an option of off-road parking, if not I would have thought a private car park could be considered a drive way?
Not unless one is a hobo, best not give the blood suckers an opportunity to void a policy.
Old 15th Apr 2009, 17:17   #199
Moriquendi
Bit Tech Biker

Quote:
It aint secure though, technically No gates or guards, but well concealed, which probably counts for nothing. Bugger.
This is a bit of a double edged sword, "off road parking" means fewer potential thieves will see it but it also means a thief that does see it and takes a liking to it is less likely to be disturbed doing the dastardly deed. I would say ring the company up and explain your situation, they will have run into the situation before and if you've discussed it with them they have no excuse for voiding the policy. As Turbotab says give the *******s no opportunities, I upgraded my policy to include commuting so as to be sure I was covered if I should happen to have an accident in the vicinity of my uni.

The way I see it, if a professional thief wants my bike they will get it, probably turn up with a van full of burly blokes and stick it in the back chain and all (there's nothing secure for me to lock it to). It's the opportunist thief/joy-rider that I want to protect against, my bike is not particularly new, rare, powerful or expensive so I don't think it would be of particular interest to a professional. Having said that I'm told that nowhere in the universe is quite as empty as the place where your bike used to be parked...

Moriquendi

Edit:
Final point if you get a discount from your insurance company for using a particular chain/lock or for having it garaged, you're very likely not covered if you're not using the chain/lock or if you have to leave the bike on the road overnight visiting a mates or whatever.

Last edited by Moriquendi; 15th Apr 2009 at 17:25.
Old 15th Apr 2009, 17:41   #200
Turbotab

Have you guys considered a ground anchor?, it may not be infallible, but it does provide a secure mounting point for a heavy duty chain.
As always, an ultra-determined, walking advertisement for the benefits of sterilisation, could still steal your pride & joy, however the nefarious act would take far longer and be much more conspicuous.
These mounts have to cemented or drilled into the ground or other solid fixed point, as a tenant you will have to discuss or 'not', with your landlord if this is acceptable.

Tags
aardvarks and aasvogels, amusing offal anecdotes, awesomeness, biker, bikes, motorbike, motorbikes, motorcycle, motorcycles, must go faster, say yes to skimmed milk, transport, you need a v12

View Mode