bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > Serious

Old 25th Jun 2010, 16:22   #121
Xen0phobiak
SMEGHEADS!

Xen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That'll be Phil or Ali then? The place by the Yales you mean is Arrow/Taurus.

World of Tanks profile
Xen0phobiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2010, 16:37   #122
TheCherub
Hypermodder

TheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen0phobiak View Post
That'll be Phil or Ali then? The place by the Yales you mean is Arrow/Taurus.
Yeah, it's Phil, I did Physics with him at 6th form. Slightly surprised that he's still there...
TheCherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2010, 21:54   #123
Xen0phobiak
SMEGHEADS!

Xen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
He's not been there for a while mate.

World of Tanks profile
Xen0phobiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2010, 12:41   #124
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.
Job Service Management (ITIL) for the NHS
Salary (33k) contractor.
Is it worth it?
Some days I think it is wank but when I think of how I am helping the 'big picture', yes.
Somer_Himpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2010, 22:23   #125
Mr Happy
4 8 15 16 23 42

Mr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr Happy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Same job (see first post)

slightly better pay, but under investigation (damn prisoners)

is it worth it? ill let you know soon
Mr Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2010, 21:33   #126
Grimloon
Hypermodder

Grimloon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitGrimloon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitGrimloon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitGrimloon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitGrimloon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitGrimloon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitGrimloon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitGrimloon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitGrimloon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitGrimloon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitGrimloon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Job Title: Service Desk Analyst

Wage: mid teens basic but usually £20k+ with overtime

Is it worth it?: Most of the time, yes. There's a great deal of satisfaction to be gained from a one call fix and teaching the end user how to get the most of their application is usually well up there in the feelgood stakes. However, it's a small team with a relatively big job (6 people, ~2,000 remote sites, 1st and 2nd line hardware & apps plus ~200 internal users) and having 400+ man hours of work over the next 2 months suddenly dumped in your lap is enough to make anyone a touch grumpy occasionally, particularly with a Sarbanes-Oxley quarterly access review due to start in 3 days time. The work is nicely varied as user acceptance testing forms part of it, as does documentation (field engineer manuals, user guides etc - although the "web services for dummies overview" is getting a touch painful at the mo - as well as the occasional process document or installer), incident management (we're the only ones in at the weekend - which, of course, is when everything breaks) and data analysis.
Grimloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2010, 21:45   #127
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Until earlier in the year I was:

Job: Technical Director / Technical Architect of a web agency
Salary: 50K (For a three day week)
Worth it: Strangely no! And handing in my notice felt so great and yet so frightening.

I am now:

Job: I am finishing off a novel I'm writing, so that makes me a writer... maybe I'll get published and can then say I'm an author.
Salary:I used to have one.... it came in handy for the little things like food...
Worth it?: Can I call you back?
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2010, 23:18   #128
llamafur
WaterCooled fool

llamafur has yet to learn the way of the Dremelllamafur has yet to learn the way of the Dremelllamafur has yet to learn the way of the Dremelllamafur has yet to learn the way of the Dremelllamafur has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Job: Lawn mowing
Salary: $20/month
Worth it: Sure, it's money in my pocket.

Job: Weldor/Artist
Salary: Depends on what I make for the local art shop. My highest paying piece was a 1.6 meter tall praying mantis made from automotive parts, $500 for around 6 hours of welding and fabricating.

Worth it: Totally worth it, I love welding and art.
llamafur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2010, 23:54   #129
Mister_Tad
Modaretor

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somer_Himpson View Post
Job Service Management (ITIL) for the NHS
Salary (33k) contractor.
Is it worth it?
Some days I think it is wank but when I think of how I am helping the 'big picture', yes.
Is that for the NHS directly, or for an IT provider and you're dedicated to that particular account?
Mister_Tad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 00:36   #130
Shadow703793
Supermodder

Shadow703793 has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadow703793 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
deleted

Last edited by Shadow703793; 28th Aug 2014 at 23:51.
Shadow703793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 11:03   #131
richythomas
Multimodder

richythomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrichythomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrichythomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrichythomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrichythomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrichythomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Job: Data Centre Mobile Professional

Wage: £30,000 + £1,700 on-call allowance + max 10% of annual salary in yearly bonus based on personal, department and overall company performance (was max 7.5%) + commercial livery vehicle (did have a company car but my department decided to save some cash so swapped it for a commercial vehicle).

Max: Without checking I think my current banding max is around £37,000 plus on-call etc. Obviously higher managerial / professional grades (thus pay) possible.

Is it worth it?

I get to work with the latest servers (HP, Sun), storage (EMC, NetApp, HP) and network (mainly Cisco) equipment in and around the central belt (we have a few sites that come under our remit) so yes I guess I quite enjoy the job.

However, overall I'm quite dislussioned with my job and am looking for a change. Maybe a change in direction. Very tempted to study for my JAA ATPL examinations for a complete change in career but the end result isn't as secure a position as I am in at the moment. An alternative would be to do a degree with the Open University for something to do (I've already got 60 points at Level 2 from the CCNA course I successfully completed with them).
CPU: i7 4970K Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 32GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1,886MHz MB: ASUS Maximus VII Gene GFX: ASUS GTX 980 4GB STRIX Sound: Sound Blaster Z BOOT: Plextor 256GB M2 PCIE SSD SSD: 2 x 256GB Crucial M4 HDD: 2TB WD Green Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX760 DISPLAY: 2 x Dell U2515H 2560x1440 OS: Windows 10 Pro
richythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 12:34   #132
bestseany
Supermodder

bestseany has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCherub View Post
The guy I know worked at Wrexham Cameras (downright creepy place unless you like lots of photos of a 40 year old with considerable artificial enhancements). Yales being the bar with Central Station upstairs, not really that close to the bus station.
Ha ha, you know what, I think I know what you're on about there.

I went to college in Wrexham about 8 years ago, and I always remember walking past a camera shop near the centre of town that had pictures in the window of a middle aged ropey looking woman with fake boobs sitting in a sports car.
Intel i5-3570K -- 8GB Crucial Ballistix -- Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced Cooler -- Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H -- 2x 1TB Samsung F3 -- nVidia GTX 680 OC -- Antec 300 -- Antec TruePower New 650w -- Asus Xonar DS with Op-amp upgrade -- Creative Series II T40's -- Windows 7 64-bit - HP LP2475w
bestseany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 13:14   #133
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://anthonyjhicks.com/stuff/catbert.jpg

there is nothing more the be said.
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2010, 00:05   #134
Alekoy
Ostekake!

Alekoy is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Alekoy is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Alekoy is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Alekoy is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Alekoy is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Alekoy is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Alekoy is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Alekoy is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Alekoy is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Alekoy is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Alekoy is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Job: Service electrician for ships, w/ship exhaust catalyst expertise.
Salary: Made about $96,000 last year, there is actually "no" limit, just put in some extra hours = extra pay, (normal pay for electrician in my company is about 64K.)
Pros: Cheap electrical parts (as long as the boss don't know..), Company van (for work related stuff, or the goverment sends you LARGE fine), "I am my own boss", A lot of traveling.
Cons: A lot of traveling, can be stressful at times, no need to plan your day off (if you do, it is no longer your day off)
Worth it?: I'm getting a bit sick and tired of it, thinking of maybe getting a new job, but I am good at this job, and kind of like it after all...

Please keep in mind that I live in Norway before you comment on the salary, here 1 liter of gasoline costs $2, a boring 2 year old vw passat costs $50,000 (just for comparison)
Alekoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2010, 21:53   #135
ilikesimple
AKA Scare100

ilikesimple has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow703793 View Post
Job Title: Idk, some where along the line of System Builder/GMU, CS Major starting Freshman year in August this year.
Salary: About $5-7k in profits a year (however, most work done during Summer) from building CAD/CFD/Gaming PCs; -10k assuming I don't use the money to pay for school

Worth it: Hell yeah, building and messing with the latest tech is fun.
How and where did you get your job?
I'm looking for a job just like that.
ilikesimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2010, 07:29   #136
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Job: Emergency medical Technician (Gomer toter)

Salary: $36,000 ish

Worth it: Definatly.

On a per hour basis my pay sucks, especially for the amount of training and continuing education I have to do, but on the other hand I get paid to sleep

The best part of the job is that I get to help people on a direct, hands-on basis rather than as an abstraction. I'm part of the chain of care for many people, some of them critically ill. I'm perhaps not the most important cog in the machine, but none the less I and my co-workers have a role to play and without us there is a missing link in the chain of care.

Another thing I love about this job is that it's totally unpredictable and still, after three years, regularly presents new challenges. Just the other day we were there to pick up a patient and flight crew from the helipad and transport them to the ED when the patient coded on the pad. 45 minutes after the patient was defibrilated she was awake and talking. It's not every day you get to play a (small) role in saving a life.
Old 8th Aug 2010, 14:38   #137
Byron C
ᴾᵒᵒᵖ

Byron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Job Title: Project Management Office/SAP-CM and Home Claims Subject Matter Expert

Salary: £18k (excl. benefits)

Worth it? Hard to say.

My role is really loosely defined - I have an inside out knowledge of how the Claims department works, as well as how our software works (from an end user perspective). That means that I can provide advice to business analysts/project managers when we're changing how the software works. I do occasional PMO work as well; that means getting reports/progress updates submitted on time, managing risks/issues, cross-project updates, etc... "Greasing the wheels of the project", basically.

It's given me a hell of a lot of valuable experience in large-scale software/process changes - I could easily walk into a well-paid Business Analyst position, or, with more training/experience, a project management role. The hours are pretty sweet too (for an office job at least): I work 0800-1530 Monday to Friday. At the same time though, we work to some seriously tight timescales and work has to be delivered on time - no exceptions - and the work really doesn't engage me at all. It has been worth it in one sense - especially after sinking nearly 8 years into this company - but that doesn't mean that I really like it.

Way I see it, I can take the easy/safe option and carry on towards PM/BA - even though my heart's not really in it - or I can take a complete punt and risk changing career. What I really want to do is back in IT: systems/network administration, technical support, network management, etc...

Saturn: Gen8 Microserver, G1610T, 4GB RAM, 5TB Disk | Titan: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, 160GB USB HDD | Rhea: XW4600 Workstation, Xeon X3323, 4GB RAM, 292GB 15K SAS Array | Earth: RVZ01, i5-4670K, GA-Z97N-WIFI, 8GB RAM, 4GB GTX970 | Mars: Dell Inspirion 15-7559, i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 4GB GDDR5 GTX960M
Byron C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2010, 19:27   #138
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Just changed jobs so:
Title: Trainee Permissionist
Salary: Less than before
Is it Worth it? Yes! i get to spend more time with my family, Its more stable,no worrying about the next paycheck?

Overall im so much more happy now than i was this time last year even though i now earn almost 3 times less! it really is true that money doesnt buy happiness.
13eightyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2010, 20:58   #139
shoxicwaste
Maxii

shoxicwaste has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Job: Crew Member (McDonalds)

Wage: 5k a year (20-30 hours a week)

is it worth it? Considering the job requires no qualifications offers lots of potential to meet new people and get a taste of the real world I'd say YES

Im 17 so im still subject of low wage (3.90per hour) however i do enjoy working there, and i have lots of fun!
shoxicwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2010, 21:08   #140
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoxicwaste View Post
Job: Crew Member (McDonalds)

Wage: 5k a year (20-30 hours a week)

is it worth it? Considering the job requires no qualifications offers lots of potential to meet new people and get a taste of the real world I'd say YES

Im 17 so im still subject of low wage (3.90per hour) however i do enjoy working there, and i have lots of fun!
Oh wow dude! I didn't even start on that low a wage!

Job: Trainee Manager (McDonald's)

Wage: £10k (More if I take on more hours)

Is it worth it? Sometimes, depends on what I'm doing, running a shift? I've never been more stressed. But it's still fun. Think I'm going to miss the store I work at when I hit up Uni.