bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 21st Jun 2010, 08:02   #41
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
Title: Solomon Kane
Rating: 8/10
Reasons: Well, it's only about a million times better than Clash of the Titans, it's got better acting, it's darker (in mood and in picture), and the coat/boots/hat combination of the title figure makes him look like Van Helsing. Too bad Kate Beckinsale isn't in the movie.
Old 21st Jun 2010, 12:36   #42
Bindibadgi
Am I out of touch?

Bindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
7/10
Delightful and ever so cunningly managed to get other "Tony's" in despite Heath Ledgers death. It did leave me thinking there should be more than it was though. Well worth watching in HD.
Old 21st Jun 2010, 13:18   #43
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Where the Wild Things Are
8/10
This is a Spike Jonze film, so it was never going to be a straight adaptation of the children's' book. Despite being an adaptation of a kids book, this isn't really a film for kids - it's too slow, too gently and too serious. Watch it for the amazing Frank Oz monster costumes and structures just as much for the story (which is more serious than the book version). A good film if you just want to watch something that's quite gentle and relaxing.
Old 21st Jun 2010, 13:38   #44
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
I hated Sunshine because of its flimsy science-less pretext.
I thought this but I later found out the wonderful Professor Brian Cox was the scientific advisor to the film - I'm not sure what he spent his time doing though cus as you say, some of the science in the film is totally baseless
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2010, 13:45   #45
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Some of the science in the film was.... Fiction? Ouch.
Old 21st Jun 2010, 14:05   #46
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material View Post
I thought this but I later found out the wonderful Professor Brian Cox was the scientific advisor to the film - I'm not sure what he spent his time doing though cus as you say, some of the science in the film is totally baseless
Scientific consultancy happens all the time but it's mostly done for posturing as the advice is rarely used. Studios hire a respected scientist to look over the script and come on set for a day or two, then completely ignore their advice but claim the film now has scientific merit.

Neil deGrasse Tyson talked about the stupidity of it all during one of his Q&A sessions, and why he and most of his colleagues now simply refuse any Hollywood requests. IIRC the last straw was when either him or one of his friends was asked to consult for the film Armageddon and was basically humoured the entire time he was there.
Old 21st Jun 2010, 17:10   #47
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa View Post
Some of the science in the film was.... Fiction? Ouch.
lol, point
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2010, 17:14   #48
Bindibadgi
Am I out of touch?

Bindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming SaiyanBindibadgi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material View Post
I thought this but I later found out the wonderful Professor Brian Cox
He's a professor, he's on TV, he's got an OBE and not only is he super intelegent he's respectfully good looking too.

And he's FOURTY ****ING TWO.

**** him. **** him and his perfect life. I loved that BBC show he did earlier this year, but that only makes me even more pissed off because he got to go to some awesome places just to explain a 30 second scientific point! ARGGHGHGHHHH.

:grrr: /rant.

I bet his wife is gorgeous and his kids are pleasant and well mannered as well. FFFUUUUU.
Old 21st Jun 2010, 17:20   #49
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Too bad that's too long to be sig'd What a lovely rant.
Old 21st Jun 2010, 18:08   #50
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
He's a professor, he's on TV, he's got an OBE and not only is he super intelegent he's respectfully good looking too.

And he's FOURTY ****ING TWO.

**** him. **** him and his perfect life. I loved that BBC show he did earlier this year, but that only makes me even more pissed off because he got to go to some awesome places just to explain a 30 second scientific point! ARGGHGHGHHHH.

:grrr: /rant.

I bet his wife is gorgeous and his kids are pleasant and well mannered as well. FFFUUUUU.
You're forgetting that he used to be a popstar too
Old 21st Jun 2010, 18:24   #51
erratum1
Banned

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
Yes man, starring Jim carrey....because it was 3 on dvd and I was bored one evening.

Mildly funny, not bad. 7/10
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2010, 19:06   #52
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by erratum1 View Post
Yes man, starring Jim carrey....because it was 3 on dvd and I was bored one evening.

Mildly funny, not bad. 7/10
Zooey Deschanel made that film worth watching. I swear she's one of the most beautiful women alive.
Old 21st Jun 2010, 21:56   #53
Zabuza
Supermodder

Zabuza can run CrysisZabuza can run CrysisZabuza can run CrysisZabuza can run CrysisZabuza can run CrysisZabuza can run CrysisZabuza can run CrysisZabuza can run CrysisZabuza can run Crysis
Quote:
Shutter Island

8/10

Didn't have much expectations/idea what kinda film I was starting, and this sure turned out to be a pleasant surprise. One line review: didn't see that coming.

(Also my vote history on imdb if someone cares)
I actually well saw it coming and thought it was quite predictable and it seemed over elaborate just to do that for one guy.
Zabuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 01:02   #54
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabuza View Post
I actually well saw it coming and thought it was quite predictable and it seemed over elaborate just to do that for one guy.
They never mentioned how his extended family will be paying in installments for the rest of forever.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 09:04   #55
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
Little Miss Sunshine
7/10
Interesting drama/comedy (no, I won't use the word dramedy) bordering on farce; worth it purely to see a pre-typecast Steve Carrell playing a suicidal university professor. Some great acting on show and some interesting social commentary. Great soundtrack that's mostly by Devotchka, too.

if you like this you might also like: The Royal Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket.
Old 30th Jun 2010, 14:04   #56
Bindibadgi
Am I out of touch?

STALKER (1979 Russian version)
2/10
Utter shite. If you want an endlessly long scenes of mind numbing talking, this borderline arty movie about 3 men walking through sewers and green fields is a perfect way to spend 2 hours of your life. It's only the minuscule moments Zone-esq relation to anything modern that gets it a 2. The very last scene is also surprisingly perky but only if you've weathered the monologue upon monologue each character spews out. Even if you're a STALKER fan, don't bother.

If you like this you also might like: Watching paint dry, or using your forehead as a hammer.
Old 30th Jun 2010, 14:07   #57
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
How could they make a film like that so crappy?
Old 30th Jun 2010, 14:46   #58
_crazy_crazy_
mi mum say's that i'm special

_crazy_crazy_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
well just saw evagenlion 2.0 you can(not) advance ...

what can i say ... awesome movie , they have rewrited a big portion of it and .... i can't wait for the third ...
_crazy_crazy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 14:52   #59
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
Event Horizon: 9/10

remembered seing it years ago, just bought the dvd (dont hit me)

****ing epic.
Gunsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 14:53   #60
Hex
Paul?!

Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.Hex is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
He's a professor, he's on TV, he's got an OBE and not only is he super intelegent he's respectfully good looking too. :grrr: /rant.
Yeah but he has that really annoying flat top lip that makes him look like he's doing a weird sneer constantly, and he has an awful accent. (He can probably spell 'intelligent' though.)

Quote:
Pulp Fiction [...] Easily my Tarantino favorite, and one of favorites all-round.
If you like Japanese films too then I highly recommend Survive Style 5+.

---

Milk - 8.5/10

I thought it was superb, as it's a true story I knew what was going to happen so there was little suspense or room for 'twists'. They really made an effort to have actors who looked right for their parts, which helped when they inter-cut it with a mix of actual news footage and re-shot footage using the actors. Very sad, but uplifting at the same time. The world needs more Harvey Milks.

Resident Destiny fangirl. | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Raptr | xbl | Steam | Destiny Profile
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
films, pasteurized 4 life, say no to skimlinks, say yes to skimmed milk

View Mode