bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 24th Apr 2012, 09:41   #161
Mongoose132
Smiles are free-Use 'em :D

Mongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei View Post
Wow, episode 4 was a total let down. How many deviations from the books can they do, whilst fitting in new unnecessary material?

1. We know Joff is an evil ass, no need to beat it in to us with whore thrashing.
2. Jayne Westerling is not from Volantis, or a healer. Or in fact anything they showed.
3. Arya becomes Roose Bolton's cupbearer, not Tywin's. In fact those two are never at Harrenhal at the same time.
4. Davos takes Melisandre in a boat after the killing of Renly. Renly's death is supposed to be mysterious, that's the whole point. Instead, HBO explain it by mashing a later bit of story in.
5. What was that scene with Daenarys outside Quarth? Terrible, that's what.

I am disappoint. After the first season staying faithful within reason, season 2 is just getting worse and worse.
Where as I love it whether it deviates from the books or not, horses for courses
Old 24th Apr 2012, 11:19   #162
suragh
Derp

suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.
I find Joff's actions to be quite hilarious, the actor plays him well. I overall enjoyed the episode last night.
Old 24th Apr 2012, 12:16   #163
johnnyboy700
I *am* a Dremel

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
Best line from last night for me was from the imp's bodyguard (wish I could remember his name) saying of Joffrey "there's no excuse for being a #@*t".

Made me burst out laughing.

I think I'm glad I haven't read the books beforehand so I can't sit there and say "why did they change that bit" or "that's not in the book". I'll read them after I've watched the show, I take it we're on book 2 now?
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 12:49   #164
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.
Bronn.
However yes, it was a lovely deadpan moment. Don't get me wrong, there is some fantastic acting in GoT, and if you ignore the books the series is excellent.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 14:37   #165
ccxo
On top of a hill

ccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Episode 4 was quite good, i do see your points of the show changing the book but if every story was followed by the book it would get quite complicated/boring for audiences watching each episode.
ccxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 18:41   #166
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.
You're right that they can't slavishly follow the books to every detail - having characters walking for 8 days does not make for interesting viewing. Nor does endless exposition, or the books' habit of doing nothing for ages...

So, I get that they need to cut things to make it all fit in TV timings and to keep the story moving. However, what I don't get is that they cut things and then add in new unnecessary bits! I still can't understand why Jayne Westerling's character had to be changed so drastically to the point where it isn't the same person. That change then means the entire Westerling issue won't even come up, because they don't exist as characters!

I guess my disappointment stems from Season 1 being so accurate and trying hard to stick to the books, and Season 2 seems to be just pissing all over them.
Old 24th Apr 2012, 19:23   #167
Mongoose132
Smiles are free-Use 'em :D

Mongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei View Post
You're right that they can't slavishly follow the books to every detail - having characters walking for 8 days does not make for interesting viewing. Nor does endless exposition, or the books' habit of doing nothing for ages...

So, I get that they need to cut things to make it all fit in TV timings and to keep the story moving. However, what I don't get is that they cut things and then add in new unnecessary bits! I still can't understand why Jayne Westerling's character had to be changed so drastically to the point where it isn't the same person. That change then means the entire Westerling issue won't even come up, because they don't exist as characters!

I guess my disappointment stems from Season 1 being so accurate and trying hard to stick to the books, and Season 2 seems to be just pissing all over them.
Book two isn't that interesting though, one and three is where it's at
Old 27th Apr 2012, 02:17   #168
October
Mariachi Style

October is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOctober is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOctober is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOctober is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOctober is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOctober is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOctober is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOctober is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOctober is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOctober is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOctober is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post
...and you expect to leave a statement like that just hanging without any further elaboration...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon View Post
Extra? AD? Effects?
Apologies, I only tend to come in here after I've seen an episode

Camera dept., did trainee on a couple of different crews (mostly with Dragon Unit, although I managed a day as 2nd AC with Wolf) and DIT Trainee. My first day was a night () shoot for episode 7 so I only know bits and pieces from then on, but they're tasty bits and pieces

Must say, as a fan of just the series I rather enjoyed episode 4, far more than the first 3. I do actually find I'm appreciating the camera work and so on a lot more this season, lots of very nice stuff going on if you pay attention to it, although lots of cheats too - which I almost certainly wouldn't have noticed before. But aye, plenty happening! Bronn's pretty epic, him and Tyrion and possibly Renly are my current favourites. Wish I'd met Joffrey on set, just so I know he's not really like that for sure. Although I guess that might have ruined the effect...
Old 15th May 2012, 09:06   #169
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
Brutal episode yesterday...this is coming from someone who hasn't read the books and doesn't intend to until the series is finished.

A bit slow to start really but the ending - does anyone think it's realistic that the Stark boy was burned or was it one of the orphans they sent there? Surely they have put too much time into his story arc to do that?

Xeon X5660||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||240GB SSD||GTX770||Define R3||X58 forever
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 10:46   #170
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming Saiyan
SPOILER : No, it's not Bran and Rickon - it's the orphans from the farm (Mill in the books, IIRC)

As for the Jayne Westerling issue - How do we know healer lady from Volantis isn't Jayne, putting it on? I know it's a major hook to future events, but it really doesn't matter who is the catalyst - only that our erstwhile King in the North does something rash, and the dominoes start to fall.

Loving Ygritte, and the great little exposition talks between Cersi & Sansa, and Jamie and his Cousin.

I can't believe there's only 3 episodes left!!
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 17:58   #171
Cei
pew pew pew

Ok, I'm liking this more as I've come to accept major plot deviations.

GreatOldOne, you're right, the Jayne Westerling issue is one where we only need Robb to do something silly. However, I loved the moment in the book where the dominos fell in one, swift, movement that was totally unexpected. We all thought he was marrying a Frey until out of the blue there's a new girl on the scene, and then it goes downhill. The TV series is making it obvious that he's not going to stick to the agreement with the Freys, and it loses the shock twist that made it so delicious.

Also, surely Arya should have left Harrenhal by now? I'm making the jump that the Red Wedding will close the season (avoids paying actors for S3!), and she needs to be at the Twins at that time, not in Harrenhal.

Loving Jon/Ygritte. Her mockery is fantastic.
Old 15th May 2012, 18:09   #172
Kovoet
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Kovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Absolutely love this series. Can't wait to get through to the end as I have no patience. Need to know what happens.
MOBO[ Asus Maximus Formula VII ]CPU[I7 4770K]RAM[Corsair Vengeance PRO Red 2133mhz]SSD's[1TB Samsung EVO, 256GB Samsung, 128GB Mushkin, 128 GT Corsair]GPU[EVGA GTX980]PSU[Corsair AX1200i Red Cables]CASE[Corsair 540] Cooler[Corsair H100i]Screen[Dell U2913WM} Perp[Corsair K70, Logitech G502,Belkin razer N52TE,
HyperX Cloud II]
Kovoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 15:04   #173
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I'm really enjoying the deviations from the book. Not because I think they're an improvement, just because I now don't know what's coming next (I read the books relatively recently).

Compared to the first season where I literally knew what the next line was going to be, let alone what the overall story was, I'm finding this one much more engaging.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 16:11   #174
SonnyJim
Multimodder

SonnyJim is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SonnyJim is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SonnyJim is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SonnyJim is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SonnyJim is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SonnyJim is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SonnyJim is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SonnyJim is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SonnyJim is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SonnyJim is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SonnyJim is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmartin View Post
Brutal episode yesterday...this is coming from someone who hasn't read the books and doesn't intend to until the series is finished.

A bit slow to start really but the ending - does anyone think it's realistic that the Stark boy was burned or was it one of the orphans they sent there? Surely they have put too much time into his story arc to do that?
I agree. I don't think that happened. I definitely think it was the orphans from the house. I've been wrong before though. The Ned Stark death surprised me.
i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz l Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H l Corsair H110i GT l 8GB G-Skill Sniper l EVGA GTX 780Ti Classified Kingpin 3GB l 256GB Samsung 830 SSD l Enermax Revolution87+ 850 W PSU l Fractal Design R5 Blackout l Acer K272HUL monitor
SonnyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:02   #175
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Bronn, you da man.

It's now clear that Talisa Maegyr (Healer Lady from Volantis) isn't Jeyne - her chat with Rob regarding her past was a bit too detailed.

Can someone please give Dany her bloody dragons back? The whining is getting annoying now. Just shut up and act like a Kahleesi, and go get them already.

Is Ramsey Bolton going to turn up next week? I hope so. Theon needs a good seeing too.
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:36   #176
ccxo
On top of a hill

ccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyanccxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This episode wasnt too bad, though its more setting up for the next episode (9th) which should be the attack on kings landing.

the 10th and final episode will be interesting to see how they leave all the stories.
ccxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:40   #177
Zinfandel
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Zinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Is Ramsey Bolton going to turn up next week? I hope so. Theon needs a good seeing too.
That sounds distinctly like a spoiler
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:03   #178
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

Not really - Roose Bolton (the older guy without the beard with Rob) keeps saying 'He can have his ******* retake Winterfell'

Ramsey is said *******.
- Carl Sagan

Old 22nd May 2012, 15:33   #179
Zinfandel
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Zinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Not really - Roose Bolton (the older guy without the beard with Rob) keeps saying 'He can have his ******* retake Winterfell'

Ramsey is said *******.
Yeah but "Theon needs a good seeing too" in your post makes it sound like he goes and gives him a good seeing too but for all I know, Theon kills them all and becomes King of The North after murdering everyone!"!!!
Old 28th May 2012, 23:51   #180
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

Quote:
Bronn, you da man.
I stand by my previous statement.

Battle of Blackwater = epic win - especially the moment.

And now we know how they manage a certain event in the battle - sort of made sense to change it, from an ongoing filming standpoint.

of course I'm talking about Tyrion's wound - much like the Hounds burns and disfigurement isn't as graphic as the books, it'd be difficult prosthetics wise to have Pete Dinklage without most of his nose for the rest of the story.

Also an interesting departure from the use of Pyromancers fire from the book - no chain across the bay to stop the escape, but with it being so apocalyptic, I guess there wasn't much need for it.
- Carl Sagan

Tags
say no to skimlinks, say yes to skimmed milk

View Mode