bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 8th Nov 2010, 10:07   #21
hyder
horrible horrible horrible

hyder has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhyder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Conquistadors by Michael Wood

Good history book. I try to alternate fiction and non-fiction otherwise I end up reading nothing but history.

Gonna move onto Ulysses by James Joyce next because it will make me seem smarter.
Old 8th Nov 2010, 10:21   #22
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I've just returned from a two week holiday with two days of long haul flights either end so lots of book have been read!

Born to Run. - An amazing book that came about when the author wanted to know why he always got injured running. While looking for answers he meets an amazing cast of characters and a Mexican tribe who run 48 hour 200+ mile races for fun. The book then explores human physiology and evolution and the evidence that as a species we are highly developed long distance runners and the modern running shoe is very bad for our health. This is a really inspiring read and a well written and exciting story which i implore you all to buy.

The zombie survival guide - A load of boring dross.

World War Z - A novel about the zombie apocalypse written by the author of the Zombie survival guide. Unlike his previous work this is actually very good and is written as a collection of accounts told by survivors of the zombie invasion.

Angels and Daemons, The Divinci Code and The Lost Symbol. I read the trilogy on holiday and they are entertaining page turners while being completely rubbish at the same time. The book equivalent of the holywood action flick but it is basically the same story 3 times over. Harvard prof with female love interest defeats mad man from secret organisation. The Divinci code is definetly the weakest of the three imo.

One Day - A novel following the lives of two people who met in university and details one day of their lives every year. Not my normal type of book but it was cheap on the kindle so i took a chance and actually enjoyed it. It's a slow burner but enjoyable when it gets going and has a very moving ending. This will definitely be made into a rubbish chick flick.

Why does E=MC2 - Currently reading this and finding it quite interesting. Co-written by Prof Brian Cox of mysteries of the universe fame.
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 10:23   #23
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Just finished: The Founding by Dan Abnett
Reading: The First Heretic by <no idea, to update later lol>

Total Warhammer fan, Read pretty much all the 40K stuff the past year I can, with the addition of Frankie Boyle, Dara O'Briain, Richard Dawkins and a few others mid-year!

40K books are good actually, very military, very imaginative, missed my stop on friday because of the end of "Necropolis"
BRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 10:24   #24
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Not feeling the love for it so far.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 10:29   #25
liratheal
Sharing is Caring

liratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller View Post
girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Not feeling the love for it so far.
Took me a while to get into it, too.

I felt like the characters had all been established without telling the reader at first, but about two thirds of the way through the book I was in love with 'em all.
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 11:09   #26
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Rude_Baboon View Post
Why does E=MC2 - Currently reading this and finding it quite interesting. Co-written by Prof Brian Cox of D:Ream fame.
Fixed.

Top book tough.
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 11:33   #27
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
CPC, does that count?
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 12:01   #28
PBear23
Supermodder

PBear23 has yet to learn the way of the DremelPBear23 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Rude_Baboon View Post

Why does E=MC2 - Currently reading this and finding it quite interesting. Co-written by Prof Brian Cox of mysteries of the universe fame.
Have it sat on my pile, need to get round to it!!

Last edited by PBear23; 8th Nov 2010 at 12:22. Reason: Infact, have just started reading it; thanks to the toilet!
PBear23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 16:33   #29
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeyhead View Post
Iain M Banks - The Player of Games
Good choice, you're going to be hooked from now on.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 17:03   #30
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
The difference Engine (william gibson and bruce sterling) Really good book so far, its generally considered one of the first steampunk books.

Just finished reading:

Ghosts of Manhattan - It's basically a steampunk version of batman, once i got past just how similar it was to batman, it got really good. - also, I want hidden arm mounted flechette guns.

EDIT: I also started reading Dune, but honestly, was not wow'd by it, got about a chapter in and just gave up.
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 17:37   #31
Jimbob94
Supermodder

Jimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just finished Godel, Escher,Bach:An Eternal Golden Braid AWESOME
Now reading transition by Ian M. Banks, another amazing book
Also, I loved Dune (have only read the first one)

Deja Fu: The feeling that somehow, somewhere, you've been kicked in the head like this before.

Do not speak unless it improves on silence
Jimbob94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 19:09   #32
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
A collection of stories by Franz Kafka. Can't remember the exact title, but I'm sure there are various such compilations.

Not really a book, being a compilation of smaller works, but being able to read either a 20 page story, or a handful of 1-2 page stories a night fits my schedule well.
Old 8th Nov 2010, 19:44   #33
Ficky Pucker
I <3 Music

Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.
martian time-slip - philip k. dick

i finished reading "Dune" not too long ago, i <3 it.
Ficky Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 20:29   #34
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyansamkiller42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
How many of you are reading e-book editions whether it's iPad/Kindle?

Sam

The Rig: Core i5 4670, GTX980, 16GB DDR3, 256GB M550 SSD, 500GB BX100 SSD Corsair 250D, Dell u2412m
The Server: Gen8 Microserver, Xeon E3-1220v2, 12GB DDR3, 4TB, 3TB, 2TB storage
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 22:03   #35
sleepygamer
More Metal Than Thou

sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Just finished reading Frankie Boyle's auto biography - My S**t Life So Far. Pretty damn funny and interesting stuff.

About a third of the way through Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett. Not my favourite of his novels, but definitely up there.

Honestly, I'm a bit a more focused on writing my story for NaNoWriMo. I'm a little behind right now, as I had two gigs on saturday and sunday. I'm about 4,500 words behind right now, but I intend to make up the difference over the next two nights.
Senpai | CPU | Intel i5 2500K | RAM | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Mobo | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | GPU | Asus STRIX 960 4GB | SSDs | Intel 730 Series 250GB, Corsair Force 3 120GB, OCZ Agility 120GB | HDD/Storage | 2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 | PSU | Silverstone Strider 700W | Case | NZXT M59 | Monitor | 24"+20" LG Flatrons | Keyboard | Razer Blackwidow TE | Mouse | Roccat Tyon
sleepygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 22:06   #36
Kovoet
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Kovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The Gates of Darkness - Raymond E Feist
MOBO[ Asus Maximus Formula VII ]CPU[I7 4770K]RAM[Corsair Vengeance PRO Red 2133mhz]SSD's[1TB Samsung EVO, 256GB Samsung, 128GB Mushkin, 128 GT Corsair]GPU[EVGA GTX980]PSU[Corsair AX1200i Red Cables]CASE[Corsair 540] Cooler[Corsair H100i]Screen[Dell U2913WM} Perp[Corsair K70, Logitech G502,Belkin razer N52TE,
HyperX Cloud II]
Kovoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2010, 22:07   #37
Kovoet
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Kovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
CPC, does that count?
No you git
MOBO[ Asus Maximus Formula VII ]CPU[I7 4770K]RAM[Corsair Vengeance PRO Red 2133mhz]SSD's[1TB Samsung EVO, 256GB Samsung, 128GB Mushkin, 128 GT Corsair]GPU[EVGA GTX980]PSU[Corsair AX1200i Red Cables]CASE[Corsair 540] Cooler[Corsair H100i]Screen[Dell U2913WM} Perp[Corsair K70, Logitech G502,Belkin razer N52TE,
HyperX Cloud II]
Kovoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2010, 10:38   #38
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blademrk - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blademrk - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blademrk - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blademrk - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blademrk - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blademrk - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blademrk - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blademrk - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blademrk - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blademrk - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I shall wear Midnight (Terry Pratchett)
Deathnote (vol 1)
and I'm about to start reading Innocent Mage (Karren Miller) once I've finished Midnight.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2010, 16:28   #39
Jimbob94
Supermodder

Jimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademrk View Post
Deathnote (vol 1)
Deathnote is a very good, interesting series
Have just got out Paradox by John Meaney, has anyone else read it

Deja Fu: The feeling that somehow, somewhere, you've been kicked in the head like this before.

Do not speak unless it improves on silence
Jimbob94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2010, 16:45   #40
Jumeira_Johnny
16032 - High plains drifter

Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat View Post
Night Watch - Terry Pratchett

Probably my favourite Discworld novel of the ~2/3 of the series I've read to date.
Wait until you get to Thud

Tags
aardvarks and aasvogels, say no to skimlinks, say yes to skimmed milk

View Mode